Moving to Chiang Mai: Things I should definitely bring with me?

I will be moving to Chiang Mai at the end of July with my husband and two children. I'm selling everything here that I
m sure I can buy cheaply in Chiang Mai. I'd love to know what things are harder to replace there. Many have suggested technological items (computers, cell phone, etc.) should be brought with me from the US rather than bought there. What about kitchen gadgets, software, shoes, etc. Any suggestions??

Simply put, textiles and technology cost the same or more in Thailand. Hand crafts and anything where labor is the primary cost are cheaper.

Shipping being a pain, maybe you should just bring your favorites from your wardrobe (make the rest in Thailand) and bring your technology and your other valuables and just get there rest there. Bring your shoes, but know that you wont end up wearing more than just sandals most of the time.

Enjoy!

Oh, I should have read your post a little better.

Bring your kitchen gadgets for sure. If you have a kitchenaid and all the gadgets I'd bring it/ship it.

And pirated software is EVERYWHERE there in Thailand, but I wouldn't count on it being what you are looking for. So, bring your software as well.

You'll be fine!

Welcome to Chiang Mai Fayeana,

Regarding the Kitchen Gadgets, you can get them there in Chiang Mai. There are places for you.

Thanks for the nice suggestion Peter.

It's just my opinion, but the toy stores I've seen in town are not very well stocked with U.S. quality stuff.

So, I suggest you bring some/many of your kids favorites.

===
I believe there's a fairly high duty on computers, but any you buy here are LOADED with software.

YES, I know they are loaded with pirated software, . . .

But hey, this is Thailand.

:)