Re-locating to Bahrain with a family

I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me......

I'm am trying to find some more information about relocating to Bahrain and would like to hear more from mothers who have made the move themselves. Specifically I would like to know more about the schooling standards and what activities are available for children, such as tennis/swimming/piano lessons etc.

Can anyone help me please? :)

afraid im no mum, infact im no dad either (maybe just a child at heart) but there are things for kids to do (bowling, cinema, water parks, you can even swim with dolphins!). One thing we have found lacking, but understandable due to the climate, is there are no real public parks. In better news there is a place called arad bay being constructed, which looks nice and consists of some small retail outlets and a path around arad bay. Also theres supposed to be a theme park due some time in the next few years.

Many thanks for your message loAf, and i think we are kids are heart ;-)

It's nice to know that Bahrain are looking to improve things and a theme park sounds fun!!

Hi
I wonder if you could help. My husband has been offered a job in Bahrain, the salary is approx £2900 sterling a month (   
1,812.48 BHD) I would move over with him but am concerned that this is not enough money. We are trying to make a decision but dont have any friends over there to ask.Can anyone advise?
thankyou!

genevieve it depends on what kind of lifesyle you want/are used to. Ignooring GBP and just working in Dinars you will find that most stuff is similarly priced in Dinar to the Uk (altho its nearly double the price in pound stirling), infact lots of stuff is cheaper, especially fuel (100 fils per litre). Me and my girlfriend have a combined income of around BD. 1400 and live comfortably off that. Rent can be faily expensive, although if you shop around there are some bargins, and it depends on whether you want a flat or a villa and in what area etc.....

Would you be looking to work as well? Do you have kids coming with you?

If theres anything else i can help you with just ask:)

Hellow buddy..nice to hear that you are moving to bahrain..it will depend on from which country u are trying to relocate..for me i was in dubai past 6 years and got a job here moved with my family..the main difference i noticed is the cheaper accomodation available inside the city area even..and comparitively less traffic jams from dubai...but..the life style here is much lower than dubai..for me ..if we compare living cost with life style in dubai..i would love to say dubai is best..bcz they have everything there..not like bahrain...but now i like living here..atleast i can reach home without much traffic problems  on road and stay in a good flat..with cheaper rent..make sure that u wil be able to get atleast 1500 dhs income before u move here...

Does anyone know about Damman for work or living? the company I am talking to has offices in Damman (20 min from Bahrain) and not sure yet about Expat compound location.  Are the compounds for Expat executives like 4-5 star golf course type communities, like my UK recruiter tells me or much different?
Are you treated differently as an Expat working for private company vs. working for govt owned company?

Thanks

texans wrote:

Does anyone know about Damman for work or living? the company I am talking to has offices in Damman (20 min from Bahrain) and not sure yet about Expat compound location.  Are the compounds for Expat executives like 4-5 star golf course type communities, like my UK recruiter tells me or much different?
Are you treated differently as an Expat working for private company vs. working for govt owned company?

Thanks

Hello Texans, maybe you should start a new thread for this question ? :-)

Hello

I live in Bahrain, with my 13yr old daughter.  She was at a catholic school in UK, her education standard was very high, as it is here. However, because the local children are well behaved, they work a lot harder, and have about 1.5 hrs homework each night. Schools are very hot on music, and languages, French being the main, Arabic and its studies are optional.  Extra lessons (music)can be obtained through the school.  There are a lot of activities for children, also clubs such as the British club for horse riding, tenis, swimming also the papers are full of clubs.  The people here are passionate about sport and family life, children become much more laid back, than in UK. Let me know, if you want to know anything else.

just ready to help if u can send me a message. i will reply

Hi there. I lived and worked in Al Khobar for 6 years which is 20 minutes drive from Dammam. Dammam is much older than Khobar, and very basic, not pretty like Khobar, as for compounds and golf courses you have been mislead, while compounds are a thing, I don't know of any that are particular nice in Dammam, the nicest one by far would be Sarah compound in Khobar which is the sister compound to Salwa in RIyadh, both owned by British Aerospace. There is also Aramco compound in Khobar which is essentially a 50,000 person compound and business Centre, there is a lovely golf course there, I think 9 holes, that would be the nicest one to play golf on, I don't even know of any in Dammam. The eastern province is perhaps one of the most relaxed and open of all parts of Saudi along with Jeddah, and the people there are friendly, open minded, laidback and kind, if you want more info on the area please feel free to privately message me. I can also put you in touch with some lovely saudi friends of mine in Khobar for any help you need.