Information about after school care

Hello all,

I have been offered a position out in Baharain and have been given permission to bring my two boys 8 and 4. I am wondering if anyone has any information about after school care etc. Do people have nannies or are their after school clubs. I will be moving by myself so need to know I can work and have the boys well cared for. I am currently living in the UK. I have lived in Saudi as a single but am sure that this will be much different!

Thanks,

Mary

Welcome on Expat-Blog Mary :)

I have introduced your message in a new thread (in Bahrain forum) for more visibility! I hope that you will get some responses soon in regards to your above query!

Regards

Hey Marykaren,

Welcome on expat-blog, and hopefully in Bahrain.
If you lived in Saudi, you are right, Bahrain is definitely not the same ! :D
My kids being grown-ups now, I don't know about after school care but as far as nannies are concerned, most of the families have a maid, some of them living in the house. It's not very expansive and even if finding the right one isn't as simple as it seems, I'm sure with the help of the community it won't take long !
One issue though, I'm almost sure that Bahrain law doesn't allow kids to be on a working mom visa. I have several examples in my team, even for management positions. If I remember correctly, except teachers and nurses, it's not allowed.
I suggest you cross check that point before packing :D

And please let us know !!!

Wish you all the best

Regards

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the information. I am a nurse and I have worked very hard at making sure my boys could come with me. Its been the reason I have had to turn down a lot of positions. Two year in the making. SO I am good to go. Now I just have to be sre I can organise everything. Its a bit of a daunting task but it will all work out with careful planning I hope. I have read a lot of your posts over the site, so have some info I was looking already so thanks for that.

Regards,

Mary

Hi Mary !

That's great news :D
I know there are some groups dedicated to moms in Bahrain. They organize a breakfast in a coffee shop on a monthly basis to welcome the newcomers. It's a fast way to get connected, why not make friends and then you come home full of tips and good inputs.

Until you meet them... If you need anything all the members will try their best to help I'm sure.

I wish you a lot of courage for the last miles :D

Friendly yours

Olivier