Research re: Viet Nam Veterans staying in country after the war

Hi everyone,

I'm doing research for my book on Viet Nam. I am seeking information from Viet Nam Veterans who got out of the war and stayed in country (Viet Nam), or returned to Viet Nam to live because of the spirit of the land; the people of the land.

Would anyone be willing to tell me why you stayed in Viet Nam or returned to Viet Nam after the war. What is the experience like? What is it about the people, the culture, the land that drew you there?

Thank you for sharing.

Hi Capecod,

I am the oldest son of one of the last 2 South Vietnamese officers to laid down their arms, back in '75.  The veterans that you are looking to contact are few and far in between. 

Following the fall of Saigon, those people and their families were heavily persecuted.  Those that had the health and finance fled abroad.  The remainder left through that HO program conducted by the US in the '90s.  The ones that are here either worked as double-agents during the war or were not honest about their ranks or family ties in the screening processes.  Be careful in dealing with these folks.  They do not represent those who participated.

As for the ones that went abroad, the number that actually returned here to retire are even fewer and farther in between.  I am having a hell of a time trying to get my dad, uncles and  their friends to return to live with me.  Some would much rather accept American solitude and poverty than to come back here and be reminded of their past horrors.  The bad blood are still fresh in many of their minds.

That is a noble topic that you had selected.  But, please be informed about the many variables that go into these people's decision making processes.

Regards,
Howie

I think he is looking for Foreign veterans.

Wild_1, thank you for the information. Is it possible for you to private message me so that I might ask you questions about the spirit of the land that was so much a part of Vietnam's creation story and history. Sometimes memories are too much to put aside. It must be hard for you to be separated from your family. Why did you stay?

Again, thank you for responding.

Fordy7, I am looking for living U.S. Soldiers who fought and remained in Vietnam or returned to Vietnam after the war. I'm looking for the reasons they may have remained or returned. There is a dicotomy of horror and beauty that occurred on the land known as Vietnam, yet the spirit of the land has survived the destruction. And I'm a "she." Thank you for any light you can shed on my search.

Hi capecod, sorry for the mistake he/she. Only US Servicemen? I am ex military. I have many friends here who served during 1968-1975. Mostly Australians though. We rarely talk about the war. If you can wait and can travel. You would have a huge opportunity to meet veterans from USA and Australia in Vung Tau on 25th April (ANZAC Day). Many of them are expats and others go there from their respective countries. They meet in the morning around 4am to travel to the Long Thanh memorial cross for a dawn service of laying flowers and remembering the tragedy of war. After the service they all go back to Vung Tau for a breakfast at either Tommys bar or Bellys Bar. This is one day that most veterans are comfotable talking about the past. Or talking about why they are here or how they feel about this lovely country and the peole. I was there last year and there were up to 1000 people at the service. Mostly Australians but I also met many from the USA. The tours for the service are organised from The bars I mentioned. I hope this helps you.

Hi Fordy7 - My apologies, Vietnam Era Veterans (1964-1975). I served in the US Army in Ft. Devens, MA and School of the Americas in the Panama Canal Zone 1974-1976. I want to hear stories of the military servicemen/servicewomen that may have served during the time of the Vietnam War (wherever that may have been) and returned to vietnam. What is it about the country, the culture and its people that drew that servicemember back there. Is the ANZAC day celebration an annual event? I will be in HCMC on April 20th and Nha Trang on the 21st (it is a cruise and those were the only two Vietnam stops I could get). Perhaps next year I could make it there.

Thank you again for answering my questions and I'd love to hear your stories on why you returned if you care to share.

Jeri