Cost of living

I'm planning to move to Rome in March (and staying for about 6 months). I'm trying to figure out how much I need to save to cover the cost of living. I would also like to learn the language and hire a tutor. Does anyone have an idea of how much I should save?

Hi Yurichan326 and welcome to Expat.com!

For the learning of the language, I invite you to post an advert in Rome classifieds > classes section.;)

Wishing you good luck in your research,
Harmonie.

As with all cities, cost of living can vary depending on where you stay.

On average you can find a room in a shared apartment from around Euro 400 and up in areas well connected by public trasport but not exactly in the centre. Ofcourse the further out from the centre you go the cheaper it gets but public tranportation is also less connected. Public tranportation tends to go on strike every now and then so this is something to consider. A 1 bedroom is generally not less than Euro 800. If "spese" i.e electricity bills etc are not included they are around 25 bucks per month usually payable every 2-3 months.

Food can be cheap if you cook at home although there are lots of places you can eat well for about 10-12 euro.

Public transportation is 1 euro per trip, its fairly decently connected in the centre and around the main monuments, but gets less so as you get further out.

Italian lessons are available at a number of different schools. The cheapest one I have found is by UPTER. 2 times a week for 3 months for 290 euro (which includes the 30 euro administration fee). Other places like Torre di Babel etc are more expensive but good. I an starting at UPTER next month, so I can't comment yet on how good it is. http://www.upter.it/

Hope this helps get your started!

cHEERS
Neeya
www.worldcitizeninrome.blogspot.com