Is Manila dangerous?

Hi everyone,
I've accepted an internship in Manila in 2012. Now I'm panicking because I hear so many scary stories about how dangerous it is, especially for a girl traveling alone.

I know it's not wise to travel around the country alone, but it's okay to live and work there for a month, isn't it? And considerung traveling, aren't there any organisations/groups of other Europeans living in Manila, so I could find mates for doing some sightseeing?

Thanks a lot for your answers!
Anna

impossibletofindaname wrote:

Hi everyone,
I've accepted an internship in Manila in 2012. Now I'm panicking because I hear so many scary stories about how dangerous it is, especially for a girl traveling alone.

I know it's not wise to travel around the country alone, but it's okay to live and work there for a month, isn't it? And considerung traveling, aren't there any organisations/groups of other Europeans living in Manila, so I could find mates for doing some sightseeing?

Thanks a lot for your answers!
Anna

hi anna....it is not true that manila is dangerous..manila is a beautiful city and people there are so very warm and friendly..of course anywhere in the world has bad and good things but i assure you that you will enjoy your stay in manila...you can stay in makati city area if you really want to feel safe....i am proud of my country and im sure you will have lots of good friends there..

have a good trip and enjoy your stay..goodluck to you.God bless

josephine

Thanks a lot, I already feel so much better! I know that it's stupid to think like that, especially because I have traveled other "dangerous" countries before and I never had any problem.

I lived with my wife in Bab Bag Novaliches Manila for 12mths
that not the best area by a long way, sure I heard of wallet,cell ph being stolen on buses jeepney but not much else
while Manila is very polluted and traffic is kaos, I think it's safer that most western cities it size
Pete

Hi Anna,

Well what i can say is if u are a careless type of person obviously u will be in trouble no matter which place you'll go to if u are kinda like that type of person then you should be careful. I lived in Province here in Philippines but I dont find Manila as a dangerous place but i should be VERY CAREFUL with everything say for example...i dont use expensive mobile phones on a crowded places, i dont trust people easily especially if they looked stranged, i don't carry large amount of money or i wont open my purse in a public and crowded place, so things like that might put you in trouble okay? So you dont have to worry you just need to be careful in all the things you do even travelling to diff places not only in Manila. Cheers! Enjoy ur stay :)

Miss Butterfly1984

Welcome to Philippines!

in addition to what Miss Butterfly said, it is how you actually carry yourself in public especially in the evening, roaming around Manila is scary, but of course, you have to be careful in dealing with others, do not trust strangers.Do not walk alone in dark places, it is prone to bad elements.

I worked before for 3 years in Quezon Avenue in Quezon City and Im living in Pasig and I used to go home at 9pm but nothing bad happened since Day 1.There are contact center here in Manila that have shift schedules until 2am, 3am or even 4am.

Just always be careful.:)

Not really dangerous, just tedious.  Relatively inexpensive except accommodation which tends to be overpriced when compared with other SE Asian capital cities. (Landlords asking for 12 months' rent up front is not unusual.) As a single woman, you would be well advised to employ a driver.  Don't expect political correctness.  The society is male dominated, quite sexist and Manila is really not that safe compared to Singapore Hong Kong, KL or Bangkok.  The quality in retail stores and restaurants is mixed at best.  The people are nice but prepare to be frustrated by inefficiency, unreliability and bad organization.  (The airport is a microcosm of the country.) On top of it all, corruption is endemic, bureaucracy rampant and doing business here is something of a challenge.  I closed our regional office two years ago, moved to Bangkok.  We did more business in our first quarter in Thailand than we had done in the previous 12 months in Manila.  I feel safer and happier and feel comfortable in my great (less expensive) Bangkok apartment.

not only Manila but all Philippines is safe during the days but at nights there is an other story.snatchers and holdupers are famous there.  there is no Police around at night at all.

Is there any safe place in the world? I would love to know

Have a wonderful trip Philippines is a very beautiful country

Regards

dont't worry just wanna tell u at any country there's some place dangerous and some place safe and u should be away from the dangerous place...manila have some place dangerous at night but u don"t need to go to that's place...don't worry filippino people they r friendly and so kind :)

DR.MJ wrote:

dont't worry just wanna tell u at any country there's some place dangerous and some place safe and u should be away from the dangerous place...manila have some place dangerous at night but u don"t need to go to that's place...don't worry filippino people they r friendly and so kind :)

Thanks for the compliment Dr.MJ. 

Anyway, just be an extra careful. Just enjoy and relax and everything will be fine.

Good Luck!

careful go manila at night time if u alone as u a forigner be safe and if u go make sure u with a travel guide person a man be better as he knows the way around but during the day a women fine safer for u but really manila ok i suppose but i no intension going back for some time i rather cebu city

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the Philippines, I can understand the fear as I feel the same way when traveling to a foreign country. But it is also true that there is not a safe place, accident can happen and bad luck does exists. They say you will never know unless you try, so try it while you still can. you will be surprised to find out that Manila is really a beautiful place.

Tips:
1. When riding a cab always ask the driver to put the meter on.
2. Don;t drink tap water or service water (even in high class restaurant). It's cheaper to spend money on bottled water than having to cure and upset tummy :-)
3. Try to get acquainted with locals. Me for example :-) I work and live in Makati and if you wish to get to know a friend you can count on me :-)

Enjoy your stay in Philippines.

Cheers,
JB

I have been here for just over a year.  Parts (well most of) Manila is dirty, polluted, crowded and noisy.  But not as dangerous as some cities I have worked in Europe. I do receive the Embassy reports so kidnapping in Manila is on the rise but so far only the Korean and Japanese have been targeted.  Just be careful where you go.

I fail to see how some see Manila as beautiful as compared to other SEA cities such as KL, BKK, SIN or even JKT.  Maybe I haven't been around but I dont think malls (Greenbelt, MOA, Mega) count for much other than to escape the heat.

hi dhnindc i really say yes you are right manila is dirty,polluted,crowded and noisy. you can try to come out from manila to any province you wish to come try Cebu,Davao,Boracay,camiguin so you can compare where to stay the best. small city is totally diff. in big cities. if you like to surfing then siargao island surf capital is good location. and if you want different experience come join us goldpanning here in Surigao City. have fun enjoy the beauty of the phillipines

HI MY FRIENDS,IM PUERTO RICAN AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT I HAVE WALKED THE STREETS OF MAINILA ABOUT 3 OR 4 IN THE NITE,BEEN TO ROXAS BLVD AND SURROUNDING AREAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM,NEVER BEEN ROB,EVEN THOUGH SOME OF MY PINAY FRIENDS HAVE BEEN ROB OF CELL PHONES,BUT IF YOU USE COMMON SENSE YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM,FOR MORE CONFORT AND SAFETY GO TO THE PROVINCES ITS MUCH BETTER THERE.I CURRENTLY LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY SO IM USED TO ALL THAT STUFF.CONQUER THE UNKNOWN!

Better walk in the Divisoria area then you will come to see the actual picture

@borilove - Lower your caps lock when writing please. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Anna,

I am from Denmark, I have been living here for 1 1/2 month now, and I really enjoy living here. People are nice, but you will need to get to know the basics of getting around.. - My filippino collegues has helped me a lot and telling me the do's and don't.

I believe you will enjoy it here! - But maybe in Manila, the traffic and all the people can be a little chaotic at first. But you'll get used to it.

I worried a lot when I was going here, but when I came here I found out that all my troubles was a waste of time, because it really is nice here.

- And sorry, I can't tell you if it is safe or not for a girl. I think it's pretty much the same to be honest.

Best regards

Matt

Been to Manila several times.
I had no bad experience and yes I would agree that it's a bit safer than you hear.

What you mostly have to worry about is pickpockets and purse snatchers.
Invest in a strong strapped purse, keep it wrapped around your arm, in your lap with hands over it.
Pay attention to who is beside you (if riding jeepney or such) and avoid sitting or letting someone with a backpack in front of him and glasses on sit beside you.
(sounds crazy, but after my OWN experiences of seeing pickpockets in work and them even trying after my own wallet I have learned this).

For cabs, always take a quick glance and check out he has all his ID in place and make sure the meter is RUNNING when you get in, never ever ask them "how much to this place?".
He will
1: Laugh inside his head
2: Never turn on meter
3: :lol:
4: Charge you 50x what the meter would have charged.

Mentioned the ID part and meter part because there HAVE been foreigners get into fake cabs, get doors locked on them, driven into a back alley, shot and mugged.

Just remember, you can't control everything but it's mostly as safe as you make it.
And yes, don't go places alone, listen to your gut instincts, use basic sense such as "don't go down that dark alley at midnight", watch who is following you, avoid the drunks (they are usually everywhere).

But hey, good news is the "crazies" (amazing how many of those you see), the ones walking around in dresses talking to plastic dolls (yes, I saw this with my own eyes too) are usually harmless! :D

Oh and don't be offended to see someone just whip it out and start spraying all over the side of a building, bush, tire...well just anywhere/everywhere.

Hope this helps! :D

i have been here over 3 years living in ortigas, i go to makati alot also and i have never come into any trouble at all, its like everywhere in the world, there is area's i would not go to, but on the whole the philippine people are really friendly and helpfull, im glad i came over here from england

hi Anna,

take care also the money changers if theres someone come to you in the street and say they have change rate are high than the other money changers dont go

but if you use credit card, visa or any card  go to the bank that ther is security gard or that have lot of people around if you take in the night must have lot of light its more sefty

i never get problem for take money in the ETM
but the money change yes they give me half only they count it in the front of me 4x i see nothing,

if you go to money change the employers are in uniform and there is security gard!

hope this could help

Manila!? all the hustle & bustle!!! How i miss Manila!!! ...as the song goes......" hinahanap hanap kita Manila, ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga. Mga dyipni mong nagliliparan, mga babae mong nag gagandahan...take me back in your arms Manila'.... I will visit you Manila this coming December!!!:cool:

Hi Ana, I am was born and bred in Manila and only left for London at a tender age of 30(lol) to join my mom. I am now a British citizen but I still hanker for Manila all the time. Ok let's get down to your dilemma. Manila in general is a safe place, unless you stray into the equivalent of 'council estates' in London. I am sure you will gravitate around Quezon City and Makati so you will be fine. The only thing you need to bear in mind is not to flaunt your 'prized' possessions like your mobile phone or gold/diamond jewelries. If you need to make a phone call, make sure you do it in a safe place like inside a mall or inside a retail shop. If you can help it, please do buy an inexpensive phone for outdoor use and use your expensive phone at home. Be alert with your handbag as 'snatchers' can easily take it off you in one fell swoop. But by and large, these bad elements of Manila society is a tiny minority and should not make up the general impression of Manila which is peopled by friendly, hospitable, and all-smiling lot. My family is going for a holiday in December in Manila and will be spending one month there and we can hardly wait!!! And Christmas season in Manila is incomparable anywhere in the world. And that is for you to find out!! Good luck and God bless.

FYI, a few months back, one of our colleagues was kidnapped from the Robinsons Galleria in Ortigas, a supposedly safe area.  Took a taxi from the taxi line, and a few blocks out, the taxi picks up another passenger and the two proceed to take him outside Manila and demanded quite a bit of pesos.  He is safe, but you never know.

Taxis and IDs can be easily bought. Try to go with another person.

Hi,

There's no safe place in this world. Just be 100x careful and be alert always... In the case that youre a girl, just be more careful but Im sure youll enjoy living here. People are very friendly and always smiling. :)

this served a great deal to me, thanks to everyone

Last weekend, an American Marine, Major, was killed by 4 locals after he tapped their car. This was in Bel Air, Makati, in front of the security gate of all places and caught on CCTV.  They have arrested 4 guys, but your not safe in front of your own community gate. What were the guards doing?

Article:
According to ABS-CBN News, the four men were riding in a silver Volvo that was stopped at the security gate of the Bel-Air subdivision for an identity check around 4:20 a.m. when Anikow walked up. Reports of the nature of the argument vary, although the police report that at some point Anikow “tapped” the men's car, at which point all four passengers came out and confronted him. Anikow was stabbed repeatedly and died a few hours later in a local hospital.

The four men, who were caught by police after a short motorcycle chase, were identified as Crispec dela Paz, Galicano Datu III, Ospic Caburay, and Juan Abastillas. Two of them are currently students at De La Salle University. A tactical knife has already been recovered from the vehicle and the police are prepared to file charges.

There isn't a place in the world that is safe lol. .. but to answer your question, it depends on where you are in Manila. Filipinos in general are very kind and hospitable, especially to foreigners. Try to avoid the 'old' Manila and stick to the sunnier and newer spots like, Makati, Bonifacio Global City, Ortigas Center and Eastwood City, unless you want to see the historical spots, museums, parks etc. which unfortunately are mostly in that area (old Manila). But if you stick to a guided tour in the old Manila area, then you will def be safe.

Good luck and have a safe trip! :)

Meg Jocson wrote:

Good luck and have a safe trip! :)

Her internship was in 2012

Why is this thread even still active? Her question was posted in 2011, THREE YEARS AGO! She went to Manila and left long ago. I enjoy the commentary of these blogs but this is one reason I am considering dropping. It is just full of dribble of outdated issues. How about the here and now?

Hi Anna,

Yes there few areas which are little dangerous but its safe as long as you live in good area like Mackinly hill, Makati or BGC..........people are very nice and polite here so you definetly come and work here......Let me know if you need any help

Ponani wrote:

Why is this thread even still active? Her question was posted in 2011, THREE YEARS AGO! She went to Manila and left long ago. I enjoy the commentary of these blogs but this is one reason I am considering dropping. It is just full of dribble of outdated issues. How about the here and now?

Best thing to do is unsubscribe to the old threads, then ignore any new posts.

Hello everybody,

As this thread has been created in 2012 (2 years back) i am closing it as the initiator has already got the information she was looking for.

Thank you all,

Priscilla

Closed