Moving to Hamburg

Hello all,

I am a lebanese-italian guy, living and working in saudi arabia and after spending a year and half here, i cant wait till i leaaaaaave this place and am thinking of Hamburg as my next step..

I would appreciate your help in giving some advice about moving there, jobs, housing and anything that a new comer should know!
I lived in munich for a year back in 1999 and i just love Germany :)

hope to hear from you

ciao ciao

I just moved from San Francisco to Hamburg one month ago, it is a wonderful city and I think a great choice.  The rental market is tight here so allow yourself some time to find the right neighborhood and flat.  It was a bit difficult as I have no history here so a letter from your employer stating your income is really a help in finding housing.  The cost of move in was a bit shocking for me, realtor fee, 3 month security deposit, and putting in a kitchen.  Yikes!  I would suggest registering for your permanent visa in an office that is located in a neighborhood with an older demographic, like Eimsbuttel versus say, Altona.  This could save you a 5 week wait as they are not nearly as busy.  I hope this helps!

Shelly

Thx Shelly for the info...

Im thinking to go there bt still didnt find a job, thinking to move there and search for one!! and thats what am afraid of, bt really cant stand KSA anymore :s

Im glad that u liked the city, i stayed in hamburg for 10 days and did like it, actually i love Germany :)

ciao

Hi Ezzix,

Sorry for replying so late.

As far as I know there are no direct subsidies for start-ups in the retsaurant business. Probably you are entitled to a loan with low interest rates (in German called KfW-Kredite). But you need a local bank for this. And you need securities.

best regards

Peter

what is the good place to live in hamburg ????

they will ask you for your contract or to show how are you going to be able to pay the rent. They are very hard, I am mexican, when i came i did not have a job, but i had money, but they did not care. They always asked me for a contract, etc.
As I did not want to stay one month in a hotel,(is was so expensive) i decide to contract a relocation service, they were cheaper than a hotel or pension ;)
They support me with everything, they came with me to see the apartments, supervise the rent contract, etc. etc

What did you study? I studied medicine and ones that i learned german i could find a job easily.

Hello jav,

I moved to Augsburg, cuz i couldnt afford the rent without work in hmaburg!!
I know it will be easier when we learn the language, bt it s a bit stupid that they ask me to speak GOOD english for working in a factory on the supply chain!!

I studied marketing and was working for freight forwarding company in saudi arabia, so am hoping to find smt in same domain here (procurement is based almost on english)

good luck in hmaburg