Moving To Gambia

Hi guys,

In need of some help. I'm looking to relocate to Gambia next year, tired of UK living!!

I'm in need of the following good primary schools and affordable home to rent for a while. 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Patricia

Welcome to Expat.com Patricia!

For the accommodation, I suggest you to post an advert in Gambia classifieds.

Harmonie.:)

Hi there,
read you message and hope I can be of help... Lived in The Gambia for six years and returned last year.... currently living near Halifax.
So have you been before? Do you know anyone? I can offer you some reliable contacts if needed....
Let me know how I can help...
Carole

Hi,

I hope neither of you objects to me joining in. My wife and I are also looking to relocate. We've tried Spain and it's too tame. We have travelled to evry part of The Gambia and believe it should be possible to find somewhere with decent services and few tourists since we are not at all fussed by a sea view. Our problem is the initial few weeks; finding a sensibly priced ;ng term rental of decent quality and a way to access transport to enable us to do that.

hi
no dont mind at all! Can give you contacts for a reasonable priced place to stay while you look.... what area? Finding a place to stay long term is time consuming but well worth taking time over.  As for transport well the local taxi's are cheap and helpful as long as you agree on a price first.

Yes, the local taxis are cheap enough but not particularly flexible if you want to look for letting property and not be tied by time. We would drive down but the scams in Senegal put us off - too easy a target!

It seems the best option would be to find a driver with his own car and agree a deal fro a period rental - say a month at a time. Second would be to buy a car in The Gambia. We are told there are many lying unclaimed at the customs shed, then find a reliable driver.

Problem with such ideas is trustworthy local contacts.

After the transport problem is solved we suspect there are many properties available and the only problem would be finding them and their owners!

ok well not sure it would take you long to find suitable accom.. and a local yellow taxi would be happy to do a deal... still not sure what area you are looking at ... and yes buying a car is an option but a lot of hassle... I found local transport the best way to mix with the locals

@Harmonie @carolet many thanks for the info!!
@Carolet do you have a number?

xx

Hi folks, I too plan to move to The Gambia and thought you might come up with some ideas. I did approach one hotel - Wavecrest. The accommodation looked decent and I had the foolish idea they might be keen on a nine month booking but let their reply speak for itself:

"The dates requested are available for your party of 2 for a 1 bedroom apartment from 1 September 2012 to 20 Jun 2013.  In response to your discount enquiry, we can offer you the apartment at £280 per week.

We offer an airport pick up and drop off service for a cost of £50.

We also offer a welcome pack for the cost of £30 and it includes; Tea, Coffee , Eggs, Bread (Brown, White or French Stick), Butter, Milk, Cereal, Jam/Marmalade, Sugar (Brown, White or Sweetener) and six 1.5ltrs Water.

Please find below the booking procedure if you would like to go ahead with the reservation.

•    A non-refundable fee of 25% Deposit of the total amount should be paid as soon as possible to ensure your booking. This comes to £290.
•    We accept Cheques which should be made payable to “Roundside Properties Ltd”.
•    Alternatively please call 0208 886 9921 and pay by Debit or Credit card.
•    Please quote your name as a reference on your Cheque and when paying by Debit or Credit Card.
•    Once the deposit has cleared you will be sent a confirmation of booking.
•    The balance must be paid in full 7 days prior to arrival using the above methods of payments.

NOTE: They only wanted a one week deposit instead of their usual 25% but they did want the balance - ALL £14,000 (no there's not an extra zero there). Not content with that they still tried to sell less than a tennner's worth of groceries from thirty quid - Welcome pack , is this a warning about rip-off Gambia? Or just a warning to avoid the Brits in The Gambia!