3G Internet Service Question

Hello guys,

First and foremost, I am a technolotically-challenged guy, but I am looking for a technological solution to my internet service problem.  So, please bear with me.

OK.  I have been here almost 3 years, but I am already on my 4th wireless router.  That is not counting all of those service disruptions dued to power outages.

Recently, a local friend told me about Mobifone 3G GPRS.  I went to Mobifone yesterday about getting that service for my laptop and cell phone.  But, I came back more confused than I was.

First, do any of you have this?  If you do, how is it, especially when you travel to more remote areas?  And, is the speed the same as those wireless routers?

According to the rep that I spoke to, the hardwares don't cost more than the average wi-fi hardware set, and the monthly service charge--for unlimited access--is about the same as that with ADSL.  Is it true? 

All of this sounded too good to be true to me.  Why is most people on ADSL, instead?  Any light upon this will be greatly appriciated guys.

Regards,
Howie

Howie

- 3G is as quick as a quick dial-up (remember AOL in the 90's?) or (at best) slow ADSL, so if you have ADSL and don't need to use internet outside your home (often): DON'T do 3G -> you wait to death. If you want faster, you need 4G which is only available in a few countries.

- Coverage: as long as you have a signal from your mobile vendor, you can get on your 3G. You can take it everywhere you go, but don't expect much if you go into the jungles.

Pricing varies: per day, off/on peak, unlimited. All you need is an USB stick to get on line so it is not expensive. Again, main drawback is speed.

Concerning wireless router, buy a good one. I have very good experience using D-link DIR655 router. I see it sold everywhere in Saigon.

The alternative solution to buying a 3G stick, is to tether your laptop to your current mobile phone(depending on model it may or may not be capable) and use that as your internet gateway.
This will save you having two concurrent accounts.

Oh and 3G is significantly faster than AOL used to be :D Dial up modem top speed 56kbps 3G up to 7.2MB and I usually get well over 5Mbps :)

laidbackfreak

Good solution with tethering, although it assumes advanced setup.

I was exaggerating a bit when I said AOL, but there is no comparison between 3G and wifi using good ADSL. It is like comparing a Jag and a Ford.

You are lucky getting 5M ( I assume you meant 5Mbps which is around 800KBps). I assume it is in Saigon.

Anatta,

quite correct it does mean a little more advanced set-up but once it's done its straight forward enough.

Hey those Ford GT40's can shift nicely :D but yes I get your point :)

And yes I'm based in Saigon and appreciate how lucky I am at times :)

Wow, gooood stuffs!  I spent 3 hours in the Mobifone place where I live yesterday and the rep couldn't tell me half of what you guys had just told me.  Excellent examples, Anatta!  I was suspecting her "fast," because she couldn't show anything to me.  Thanks a lot, guys.