Looking to move to VN to retire permanently just starting research

Retire in SE Asia. Start living in VN

Start with visa requirements - do you meet them?

Cash concerns - Can you transfer money?

Offenders and expatriation - Do you have a criminal record, and would that have any impact on visa applications?

Food - A lot of people dislike food they are unfamiliar with - Are you adventurous?

Specific questions get specific answers 1f642.svg

Added

Vn is very different from a city like Saratoga Springs or wherever in the US.

Can you handle the climate and social differences.

Just wrapping up a two month stay in Vietnam and planning on returning more often.  Recommend you try a two or three month long trip to really get to understand the life style, food, transportation, housing, money, regulations, restrictions, language and etc.  For example an American can not drive or get a Vietnam driver's license.  International Driving Permit issued by US agencies NOT accepted!  You can drive a motorbike, provided it is under 50cc.  However, the traffic flow & VN driving tecnics in major cities is overwhelming and NOT recommended.  My wife is Vietnamese & our family here is very large and supportive.  Without them and their support it would be much more difficult.  j.o.

Retire in SE Asia. Start living in VN
       [email protected]

Sooo... unless you can respond positively to some of the previous comments, it might be best for you to actually retire (create a base) in a different SEA country and then visit here for 3 months at a time on a tourist visa.

If you have enough money you can retire in virtually any SEA nation.

If you want to head this way with only minimal financial resources, most countries will welcome you for a limited time period on a tourist visa...and then encourage you to leave.

Good luck!

For example an American can not drive or get a Vietnam driver's license.  International Driving Permit issued by US agencies NOT accepted!  You can drive a motorbike, provided it is under 50cc.          -@grandaddy-O

Sorry, but this is incorrect.  I have had and subsequently renewed VN driver's licenses, both A2 (motorcycle over 150cc and B1 Auto up to 9 passengers and trucks up to 3,500 kg).  Super easy to get, no test.  Just some simple paperwork.  You do need to make two trips to their equivalent of the  "DMV".  The only easy way to get the large moto license is if you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license.  Then they simply give you the A2 endorsement.

For example an American can not drive or get a Vietnam driver's license.  International Driving Permit issued by US agencies NOT accepted!  You can drive a motorbike, provided it is under 50cc.          -@grandaddy-O

Sorry, but this is incorrect.  I have had and subsequently renewed VN driver's licenses, both A2 (motorcycle over 150cc and B1 Auto up to 9 passengers and trucks up to 3,500 kg).  Super easy to get, no test.  Just some simple paperwork.  You do need to make two trips to their equivalent of the  "DMV".  The only easy way to get the large moto license is if you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license.  Then they simply give you the A2 endorsement.

-@SteinNebraska

Yes but you cant get it on a tourist visa as far as I know. When my TRC ran out that was the end of my Vietnamese drivers licence too.

For any non US reading, this, the UK driving licence with UK International Driving Permit is accepted here.

For example an American can not drive or get a Vietnam driver's license.  International Driving Permit issued by US agencies NOT accepted!  You can drive a motorbike, provided it is under 50cc.          -@grandaddy-OSorry, but this is incorrect.  I have had and subsequently renewed VN driver's licenses, both A2 (motorcycle over 150cc and B1 Auto up to 9 passengers and trucks up to 3,500 kg).  Super easy to get, no test.  Just some simple paperwork.  You do need to make two trips to their equivalent of the  "DMV".  The only easy way to get the large moto license is if you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license.  Then they simply give you the A2 endorsement.        -@SteinNebraska

Yes but you cant get it on a tourist visa as far as I know. When my TRC ran out that was the end of my Vietnamese drivers licence too.
For any non US reading, this, the UK driving licence with UK International Driving Permit is accepted here.

-@goodolboy

That's exactly what our mutual business connection here in Đà Nẵng has been advising potential clients for her additional business of prepping foreigners to get a license.

She's actually refusing new business unless the person has at least a 1 year permission to remain in Vietnam, and she prefers working with foreigners having an approved TRC.

Yes but you cant get it on a tourist visa as far as I know. When my TRC ran out that was the end of my Vietnamese drivers licence too. For any non US reading, this, the UK driving licence with UK International Driving Permit is accepted here.        -@goodolboy

Didn't think about a tourist visa holder.  I haven't  had a tourist visa since my first year's visit so I forgot about that.  If your TRC expired are you on a VEC now?  You can still get a driver's license on a 3-5 year VEC.  My last driver's license renewal was on a VEC.  That is as long as you have a valid overseas license.  I don't know if you have maintained that.

Yes but you cant get it on a tourist visa as far as I know. When my TRC ran out that was the end of my Vietnamese drivers licence too. For any non US reading, this, the UK driving licence with UK International Driving Permit is accepted here.        -@goodolboy

Didn't think about a tourist visa holder.  I haven't  had a tourist visa since my first year's visit so I forgot about that.  If your TRC expired are you on a VEC now?  You can still get a driver's license on a 3-5 year VEC.  My last driver's license renewal was on a VEC.  That is as long as you have a valid overseas license.  I don't know if you have maintained that.

-@SteinNebraska

Thanks but have lived here very happily for 16 years come June, 4 years on "TRC's but never worked here" & 12 years on Tourist Visa's.

My reply to your post was not about my or your circumstances it was just to clarify for anyone in similar circumstances to me here on short term Visa's & to clarify the situation for some people who are not from the USA that the International Driving Permit is accepted here. To get the International Driving Permit you must have a valid (in my instance) UK drivers licence & you must be in the UK when you personally apply for it. Very simple process just go to a participating post office in UK with your current & valid licence, 2 photos, hand over 5gbp & 10 minutes later you have it.

Yes but you cant get it on a tourist visa as far as I know. When my TRC ran out that was the end of my Vietnamese drivers licence too. For any non US reading, this, the UK driving licence with UK International Driving Permit is accepted here.        -@goodolboyDidn't think about a tourist visa holder.  I haven't  had a tourist visa since my first year's visit so I forgot about that.  If your TRC expired are you on a VEC now?  You can still get a driver's license on a 3-5 year VEC.  My last driver's license renewal was on a VEC.  That is as long as you have a valid overseas license.  I don't know if you have maintained that.        -@SteinNebraska

Thanks but have lived here very happily for 16 years come June, 4 years on "TRC's but never worked here" & 12 years on Tourist Visa's.
My reply to your post was not about my or your circumstances it was just to clarify for anyone in similar circumstances to me here on short term Visa's & to clarify the situation for some people who are not from the USA that the International Driving Permit is accepted here. To get the International Driving Permit you must have a valid (in my instance) UK drivers licence & you must be in the UK when you personally apply for it. Very simple process just go to a participating post office in UK with your current & valid licence, 2 photos, hand over 5gbp & 10 minutes later you have it.

-@goodolboy

Ah, I've been gone too long and forgot you weren't married.  I knew you had been there forever.