Passport renewal

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I can renew my British passport from here in Bulgaria, or do I have to return to the UK to do it. I have a year long visa which expires in October this year, my passport in September 2025.

Any help appreciated.

Best,

Ian (Svistov, formerly Newcastle)

@charlian99 You can do it from Bulgaria, I did mine a little while back. You complete the process online then send your passport to them, I used DHL to ensure it got there, was a little expensive but worth it for the peace of mind.

They'll return your old passport and new one separately, mine came with DHL and I arranged to pick it up from the depot.

All done online https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Not renewal, but we applied for our baby's first British passport from here. No problem at all.

Complete the application online, submit photo (which we took at home), then send the documents. Since its her first passport, documents required were ok for us to send by BG post, signed for service. It took around 5 days and cost 11 or 12 leva. That was tracked as well. In your case, DHL is more secure.

Documents and passport both returned by DHL. In Bulgaria, they used a local company called Express… didn't know about this company before but both parcels arrived safely.

It is an easy procedure, no need to go back to UK. Takes maximum one month, everything done online and send and received by DHL.