Newbie Questions

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions but was not sure the best way to go about it so I will ask here but if I need to be redirected let me know.

With being married to a Vietnamese woman is it east enough to get a long stay visa?

We plan to move to Rach Gia where my wife has some family. She says we could buy land and build a home for about £15k is this realistic?

What health Insurance would you recommend?

I have more questions but that will be enough for now.

If anyone has lived in Vietnam for a few years I would love to get your advice and your experience so far.

TIA

John

You're eligible for a 5 year Visa exemption if you are married to a Vietnamese citizen.

You will still need to exit Vietnam every 180 days to renew.

Land prices and size vary greatly, but im guessing that amount should get you something in your wife's name.

Try LUMA insurance, which you can renew every 6 months when you're out of the country.

I've been here for 11 years, but mainly in the South. The country is extremely varied in climate,  lifestyles and facilities.

'I'd recommend a month at least,  exploring as much of Vietnam as you can before putting down roots.  Depending on your personality and language skills, you could be very lonely and or bored…

Good luck.

@johnmccullough you must first stay at least 6 months in VN before getting a Temporary Resident Card (TRC) for other 3 years. But don't worry, it's easy, just register your accommodation with your wife  (together) at the Police Department; then explain to them that you want to  obtain a new TT Visa or TRC TT (type TT for spouses) and they will give you the respective stamped form. With that form, go to the Immigration Department of your Province with your wife (always together) + 4 pictures 2x3cm + your notarized copy of your marriage certificate + full notarized copy of your passport + notarized copy of your wife's ID + 3.5 million VND (legal price), and they will guide you to obtain the Visa TT (6 or 12 months) or TRC TT (3 years) without any complications, depending your migration current status.

After 3 years "inside Vietnam" (discounting all the times you where abroad), you can apply for a PRC (permanent residence card) but first you need to go to your embassy to get a recommendation letter on which your government ask to Vietnam to give you the PRC (embassies and consulates in VN have the template)

Regarding to buy a land, lawfully both of you cannot, because foreigners are not permitted to sign in the book of lands. Only for Apartments, or Houses inside a private residential project.   

For lands or landed houses, first you must register a sort of capitulation/sworn/affidavit in your marriage saying any landed property will be out of your common marital assets, so, your wife will be the only possessor. I confess I'm not sure how and/or where you must register that capitulations; maybe at the same place where you both got married,  but it must be done. 

Regarding a health insurance, together with your wife can apply to the Vietnamese Social Security (VSS) as volunteers; or maybe choose a private one such as PVI (good enough for me) or any other in the local market. PAY ATTENTION: for non-emergency visits, only a few "public" hospitals serve foreigners... so check the availability of hospitals and clinics around you.

Best regards

Yes, another option,  however,  depending on which country you are from?

You may not want your government or any other agencies to know that you are living permanently elsewhere, for many legitimate legal, financial or philosophical reasons…?

Thank you all for replying your help is very much appreciated