Digital Nomad Visa advice

Hi there. Coming to Spain very soon. I am studying Spanish for a few months so coming on a student visa. I want to then follow that up with a digital nomad visa. And therein lies the rub. I see people online no problem. But I am self-employed, sole trader and clients pay directly to my account. If I have understood the DNV rules correctly, I need to be working for a company that I invoice that then write a letter to say they are happy for me to provide the service from Spain. Is that right? Wrong? If it's right is there a work around? Any info gratefully received. Thank you

Hi DFW002,

I went the DNV route and was approved in October. I'm self emplyed and a day trader. I established a LLC in 2022 and contract out my work to that entiry. I've not seen the pure self-employed route work without a contract with a company already established for at least 1 year. But, if you were to work for a company like that for 3 months minimum, as long as the other criteria are covered, it should work. Hope that helps.

Larry

@lhmz Hi Larry and thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, create the LLC (or a Ltd), get clients to pay the company, invoice myself, create a paper trail for three months?

@DWF002

My understanding is that it's fine to be self-employed, as you already are, but your clients must be foreign (non-Spanish) companies, rather than individuals.

You can also be an employee of your own service company, incorporated outside of Spain. And have that invoice your clients (individuals or companies). Subject to proof of 3 months track record of salary payments exceeding the minimum. However, I think they check that the company is at least 1 year old (note the requirement for certificate of incorporation).

Official DNV guidance is here:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulado … -Visa.aspx

If you have 30k euros of savings, you could consider the NLV too.

@gwynj Thank you for that. I will incorporate I reckon