Public transportation in Calgary

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Calgary ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Calgary?

Thanks in advance for participating!

The transportation system in Calgary is OK.
I've used it quite a bit, I worked downtown and lived in the North West, so I trained to work everyday and sometimes bused to the train station.
I think a one-trip ticket is $3.00 right now (May 2013), you can buy a monthly pass for about $96.75 or something like that.
They are relatively safe, there's been (although rare) cases of harassment at the stations, not really on the train or the bus, but at the public stations. I see it as safer for men to use public transportation at any time, than it is for women.
I guess a lot of people have to uses buses, mainly because the trains don't really reach every corner of the city, but the buses do.

I hope this helps somebody...
Cheers!

Hello gonzopz,

Thank you for your contribution. :)

The mode of transportation in Calgary is getting better. Early this year the West Station was added. Construction of Chinook Station is still in progress.

CTrain is the cheapest and most convenient way of travelling especially in downtown where there is a free-fare zone.

By far using monthly passess is the best way to pay for the transportation. You don't have to look for coins.

Don't forget to avail the low-income monthly pass if you are qualified. If you do, you'll only pay half of the regular pass. Keep the receipt to avail the tax credit for public transit passes in filing the income tax.

The Transit in Calgary is Ok.

I am living in the NE and work in the downtown core. I take a bus to the train.

It can get a really crowded during rush hour. But apart from that I have never had any problems.

Thank you punrun & Mrslush for your help! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Thank you punrun & Mrslush for your help! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Your welcome.

I'm going to try a mobile application in order to track the schedule of buses since I don't want to keep on calling. I also want to know how efficient the mobile apps when it is used in Calgary.