Public transportation in Belo Horizonte

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Belo Horizonte ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Belo Horizonte?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I take the bus all the time.  I even wrote a blog post about how to take the bus.  Currently, the fare is R$2,45, but you can get a bus card and get discounts for transfers.  You can also use Google maps to figure out your routes:
ummango.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-take-bus-in-belo-horizonte.html

Thanks for your contribution srkelz!

Harmonie.

I walk most of the time, but also use taxis and occasionally a bus.  There are not enough taxis in BH currently, and this is being discussed publicly, with the hopeful outcome for those of us that use them to have more taxis in the future.  Walking is safe most of the time, but as in any city of this size, keep your eyes open.  By far, most of the crime is in the favelas and does not get out of those areas.

These tips are much appreciated DouglasT!

Harmonie.:)

Hi everybody!

Armand, one more time, sorry for delaying the reply.
So, I will answer topic by topic, okay?
Let's go then...

What do you think about the means of transportation in Belo Horizonte ?
I will tell you a little about my life: I lived one year in Spain and visited many cities, I used take the subway. Always. They were very efficient.
Currently, I think the means of transportation in Belo Horizonte is not enough. We are big city and in my opinion, we don't have a good subway: The metro just has 16 stations! The fare is R$ 1, 80 .
You can take a look at  www.metrobh.gov.br

About the bus... well, they're good buses but some parts of the day they're full. The fare is R$2, 45 , but as our other friend said , you can buy a card and have discounts. At the site below you can find all the bus and to figure out your route.
You can take a look at www.bhtrans.gov.br (Portuguese)

You should take a look at www.belohorizonte.mg.gov.br (English, Spanish, Portuguese). This site is for tourists.

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? So so, but we're growing up!
Each subway station has buses for connecting with other places.

What modes of transport are available?

Inside the city: Subway, buses, taxis.

By plane: We have two airports: International Airport Tancredo Neves ( Most knew as “Confins Airport”, 40 km far from BH) and the Carlos Drummond de Andrade Airport (Most knew  as “Pampulha Airport”, just works with domestic flights).

By train: Depends the city. In Brasil, it is not common moving around the country by train. But this possibility exists and can be very interesting to travel by train and enjoy the landscape.

By coach: We have a Coach Station and they're preparing other place to be.
Take a look at: http://www.pbh.gov.br/rodoviaria/ (English, Spanish)

Until 2013, the government wants to implant the BRT (Buses Rapid Transit).

Do you use them? What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Belo Horizonte?
Yes! Every single day!  I prefer to use subway (is near my house), because of price and time (of course they're faster than buses, at least in BH!)

Are they relatively safe?
Yes!

I hope it helped you!

Brilliant post renataeloa

Thanks very much :thanks:

Armand