Exporting cars

Would it be wise to buy a new car and bring it to Brazil for my upcoming move from the United States permanently?

Probably not:  it will be expensive, the paperwork will  be horrendous, the taxes can be out of sight, and you'll wait a long time for it. 
To be sure, though, pass the question through your moving company to their Brazilian partners to get a definitive, authoritative answer from their Customs experts.

Agree with abthree. Was thinking of doing same but shipper out of Miami said he had issues with cars. They arrive in Santo port and held until taxes (60%) and proper BR documents are approved which can be months.
Kind of glad I did not. Roads not the best, parts for cars built outside BR hard to get, and annual taxes high.
Any damage when shipping have to find a great shop to repair. Make and model built in US or CA may take ordering parts from US or EU. That takes 90 days, plus taxes again.
What type are you looking for?
Ford is looking at leaving BR. Curitiba has many factories. Japanese new cars are sold but stock parts not always available.
Any high end cars/truck can be targets.
Search makes in BR and you will see prices.
Big cities have BMW, Lexus type dealers, but better have secure garage.

It´s always better to buy your car here. Some models of Mercedes, BMW, Audi are made here. Volkswagen is common and so with Fiat.Lots of models on Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Suzuki are also made in Brazil. There are also Hyundai, and Chinese cars not to mention GM, Ford and Chrysler. Fits every budget that you can imagine.

robal

i want to bring my Acura 2021 Rdx but they told me 100 plus tax and over

American willing to send my car and contact

Would it be wise to buy a new car and bring it to Brazil for my upcoming move from the United States permanently?
-@Sdageorge

That's a big no.. You would be paying through your nose with Custom Fees and Freight Cost.

Not to mention you would be drawing unwanted attention from Criminals.    And then the cost of finding competent technicians here, overpaying for spares, then waiting for them to arrive while your car sits idle.

Sell your car back home or place under storage.  If you must have a car in Brazil, then buy what others are buying mostly.  There's a reason to it.

i want to bring my Acura 2021 Rdx but they told me 100 plus tax and over

American willing to send my car and contact
-@dedecadaver

That's a Honda.  We have Toyota's here. 

Hard to find cars here draw the attention of Chop-chops.    And you just added a target to your back for muggers, car jackers

An even as a Honda, your local mechanic will have the trouble to source crossing part numbers, until they figure they can use a Honda. 

Also, for diagnostics sake, you can't  cheat  diagnostic scanners, then your VIN number might not be serviceable here, unless the Garage owns an expensive and imported scanner. 

That alone takes you out of a lot of repair shops and places you at the hands of over expensive repair shops. 

Stick with the local brands/ nameplates.     

@sprealestatebroker

I meant, we have Hondas here.   My lapse.

Rectifying my answers for clarity....

• Bringing your dear "cream puff"  into  Brazil means going through customs. That means paying a surtax levied against either the vehicle's MSRP or KBB Price. Not what you claim you paid for, no matter whether you have the invoice on a sweetheart deal.  Folks at the customs have all the data to determine what is the tax base rate.   So folks claim here 60% surtax then it is.   They alway will fork the higher rate they can get away with.  And you are paying.

• Then there is the freight cost and waiting for delivery to Santos-SP . Not cheap, and time consuming, respectively.
  • Let's use the Acura as why you shouldn't bring it to Brazil.  Your Acura has a specific VIN number, that for anyone servicing the vehicle, will  need to enter it  into the Diagnostic Scanning Tool, so the scanner's software can  pull the  right database library for step by step diagnostic. 

• If the Service Shop ( even at the Dealership level ) does not have either the proper OEM or Aftermarket scanner, then the Technician has to sort any problems the car might have by trial and error, going through wiring diagrams. 

• And these diagrams might not be even available here.   Your Stateside Acura Dealership has as a mandatory system subscription  so they can service their own vehicles. And every OEM has a specific Country based Software Vendor to provide this  to the Dealership Body ( i.e. Reynolds + Reynolds, Bell & Howell ,  and a bunch of others  if they are still around ) , which includes wire diagrams, updates on TSBs ( Technical Service Bulletins , which by the way provides data to service warranty issues, when granted by the Manufacturer ).

• Yes, Repair Shops and Dealerships have scanners here, and they often are adjusted for the market they are supposed to service. But a mismatching VIN could mean, not immediately serviceable here. You just got your car sitting at the back of the service department waiting on diagnostics, or parts, or diagrams. Going nowhere.

• All of the above amounts to time the vehicle is held in the service department or garage shop, and it adds more than what you would pay Stateside.  Lots of labor charges.

• It matters none that an Acura is actually a better dressed Honda and that we actually have Hondas in Brazil. The specific  VIN number, the different code on parts to be sourced for repairs, it all adds up against you getting your cream puff being serviced here in a cost competitive and timely effective fashion.

• And then there is the target on your back to be seen by Car Jacks, Muggers, Chop-Chop Auto Theft rings.Just because you want to stand out,love your car, or wanted to do your one upmanship against the Joneses.   
  • If somehow another chump owns an Acura here, there's always the temptation of a Junkyard to source for the part cheaper than otherwise importing it.  Car Tthieves spot cars, and then target them to a lift. All it takes is a 15 minutes on your curbside, and then it is gone.  Think in terms of Human Organ  involuntary donors, You will be one of them, so some rich wannabe Brazilian  can ride their Acura at your expense. 

No, no, no, and no!   

Sell your cream puff, collect the cash, bring it here or deposited in the US, ., and if you must, then go about getting yourself something else at either the local dealership or used car lot.

Don't be a chump!!