Living in Curtiba

If you currently live in, have lived in or visited Curtiba, Parana what was your experience like? 

My fiance is from Curitiba and I am an American- I been there now 4 times spending close to 2 to 4 weeks at a time there- its a wonderful city- its very peaceful, has many restaurants and parks and venues and its just beautiful. It has a European architecture and stone roads in the city- its very beautiful.

If there is anything else I can answer specifically lemme know.

Hi John,f

I have visited Curitiba many times over the past 20 years, staying there from a few weeks to three months at a time.  I too love the place.  As Roy said, it is a wonderful city.  The public market is a wonder....especially on Saturdays, where you'll find many folks shopping while listening to music from any one of several restaurants there.  Then, on Sundays, there is a street fair that goes on for blocks, featuring handicrafts, and other assorted items to include food....like pirogi, empanadas, etc. 

Over the years I visited several local dentists in Curitiba, and received a dental implant or two.  (Now, all of dental work in Brasil is done in Caxias do Sur, by the best dentist in the world!)  The people I came in contact with were friendly, and very open to conversations...even with my broken Porto-espanhol!  The town is noted for its large Polish population!  Their transportation system is superb, and easy to use.  (Many people seem to help when I get lost!)   

A few months back, I found myself fainting while entering a local store there.  Before I could hit the ground, a gentleman behind me grabbed me, and with the help of his wife, aided me to walk into store.  Immediately, they asked for a chair, and sat me down to recover.  Concerned, they asked if I needed an ambulance or medical assistance, and stayed by my side until I felt like standing up on my own.  What great people! 

All things considered, Curitiba is a great place! 

If you go there in winter (June-August) it can get chilly. Make sure you have some warmer clothes with you. My wife and I went there at this time of year to visit and the first night we were there we froze at night even with multiple blankets. The place had no heat. The next day I found a Hotel with heat. It was much better. When we visited her friends house there, she also had no heat and we all were freezing . Just be prepared if you visit during these months.

@bepmoht

A friend of mine was there last month for a yoga course, and she said it was freezing (by NE Brazil standards, of course!), max 13C all week - even in January, middle of summer, no heating. But she is accustomed to 26-32CC all year round! Apparently the week before she said it was nearly 40C, so maybe hot and cold weather clothes all year round?