One Day, My Dream has been to move to Kenya

I need to settle a debate. I have heard conflicting information as to the abilities to make Kenya my home since I am an American. It seems as though that the debate is based on the political situation of the moment. I need confirmation that the debate is farce and that its absolutely legal and safe for an American to buy real estate and build a home. I also want to know the steps I need to make to make this happen if its possible. Its been a long time dream of mine to permanently call Kenya my home once and for all.

@svalentinephotos

You can but I would wait and see how the economy fairs.  However, its a great time to use your dollar money to buy a place in Kenya due to Kenya shilling devaluation.  Everything is a bargain. 

I appreciate your response. I wont buy anything until I am completely ready. I am trying to get my ducks in row first to see if its even possible.

@Legal Funnel Thank you!

Greetings,

I hold both US & Kenyan citizenships. I've lived in Kenya since 1980.

As a non-Kenyan, you can buy (actually, it will end up being a long term lease) non-agricultural land. So, you can buy a flat, a house in a housing estate, or a business premise. You will need a permit to live here. If you do not intend to work here (or even volunteer) and you have a substantial external source of income, you may be able to apply for a retirement permit.  Work permits, on the other hand, are not easy to get. If one avoids certain hotspot areas, one can greatly reduce the insecurity that one might be exposed to. Of course, there is no guarantee.  If you come, be sure to register with the US Embassy. They don't really do much, but they will keep you informed of places to avoid as well as upcoming possibile demonstrations.

I wish you well. Kenya is a wonderful country in very many ways. Welcome