Young British Couple Looking to Move to Montenegro.

Hi Members,

My wife and are looking to move to Montenegro full time to Montenegro. We are a young couple but we are looking for a safe location with better quality life compared to our hectic life in London.

We have traveled to Montenegro twice and absolute love it. We have done extensive research on moving but there are some gaps in a out research. I hope you can help us with the following questions:

• Are we able to bring UK cars to Montenegro and have them insured? It so which insurers would you recommend? Furthermore are there any cost that we should be aware of?
  • Would you recommend moving to Tivat/Kotor or Podgorica for the long term?
  • Are there any other good private healthcare providers other than Codra Hospital?
  • Would you recommend the private schooling system for young children?
  • Where are the best places to connect with other expats in the country?
  • Anything else that you're feel will help?

I know this is a quite extensive list, but we would be ever so grateful for your help on this.

Thank you in advance

God bless

1. You are not able to insure a car with foreign registration, however you can keep driving it if you have valid UK insurance.

2. I'd say Tivat (not Kotor) as there is an expat community, however most amenities are in Podgorica. So it's really dependant on your lifestyle.

3. RZ Kerber and Moj Lab are both good.

4. I personally don't have kids, but consensus is while there are some nice private schools, public schools will help children to integrate faster, learn the language, get some local friends and be ready for a university, however I would say that local universities are not the best (especially if you are going to live long term here)

5. Depending on your likes there are expat hiking, biking, sailing, SUP groups. Although most of them are russians they will happily accept anyone.

6. IDK about London but life here is very slow, just expect that everything and everyone is going to move slowly. E.G. your package arrived to Montenegro post will bring it either in 1 day or in 10 days, and no post office will give you an answer when. Your lawyer told you it's gonna take a day? well it might take a week or two. You are in queue and there are only 2 people in front of you? Tough luck, you might wait 5 minutes. I really enjoy no rush lifestyle, but sometimes it does get frustrating.

You can and you must (if you don't have a green card) insure your car with foreign plates for "third party" insurance. I pay c. 250€/year of an old Audi a6 with French licence plates since about 2010. If you have a younger car that is worth insurance for the value of the car, then it is better to import the car (it shouldn't be too old though otherwise you cannot import) do all the paperwork to change the plates and then you can take full insurance.

@Tsarine

Thank you for your message.

Are you able to drive in and out of the country with the third party insurance?

What insurers would you recommend?

@itsdikey

Thank you for your very informative message.

Regarding ordering packages online. Do you think it's best to buy furniture from Montenegro or order and deliver from other countries?

@John Yates

No. The insurance is valid only in Montenegro.

You may buy insurances online. When I had to travel back to France I would buy insurance online for the period needed through direct-temporaire.fr

You can also usually purchase insurance at the border points.  For ex if you go to Albania you'll find insurance companies a few meters after the border. 

@John Yates

Hello, I, my husband and my 5-year-old daughter moved from Antalya, Turkey 1 month ago. My daughter is a rhythmic gymnastics athlete.The most comprehensive rhythmic gymnastics training and federation in Budva ;additionally, Budva is right in the middle of the country and easy to reach every city. That's partly why we decided to start in this city…

There are private schools in Kotor, Budva, Tivat and Podgorice. Teaching in English. While I was away, I wanted to move to Kotor and send my child to a private school, but after coming here, I realized that children who only speak English are a bit antisocial because they do not know English very well. I thought my daughter would learn English well, too. But you don't need this anyway :) because you are English. I researched public schools and I liked them incredibly. They are learning Montenegro,English and Italian language … I think they should learn the language of the country we will live in and interact with the local people in order to communicate and socialize. This is my idea. The city of Bar is also safe for children and has many opportunities. Also, the hospital is the best in Podgorice and the second best is in Bar. But every city has enough resources to intervene in an emergency. For those coming from countries with large surface areas like ours, the distance between cities will not be much of a problem. The country's surface area and residential areas are quite small. I don't know much about cars. I sold my car in my country and bought it here. When you bought it, it was covered and insured. You wait about 10 days for plate replacement. The fee varies depending on the engine power of the car, but there is a maximum annual payment of 350 Euros. It's quite rainy in Montengro these days. With its calmness and nature, it left the big city concerns and all the questions we thought about behind. With adaptation to nature, we also became physically stronger and this did not even last 2 weeks. Communication is usually made via Telegram, Facebook and Viber. I hope we meet :) These are my observations. I hope it helps.  çav!