US Embassy Level 2 Travel Warning for Brazil -- 10/19/23

>Reissued with updates to Country Summary.

Exercise increased caution in Brazil due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

Any areas within 150 km/100 miles of Brazil's land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay due to crime. (Note: This does not apply to the Foz do Iguacu National Park or Pantanal National Park.)

Informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados) at any time of day due to crime (see additional information below).

Brasilia's administrative regions (commonly known as satellite cities) of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa during non-daylight hours due to crime (see additional information below).

Country Summary:  Violent crime, such as murder, armed robbery, and carjacking, is common in urban areas, day and night. Gang activity and organized crime is widespread. Assaults, including with sedatives and drugs placed in drinks, are common. U.S. government personnel are discouraged from using municipal buses in all parts of Brazil due to an elevated risk of robbery and assault at any time of day, and especially at night.

If you decide to travel to Brazil:

Be aware of your surroundings.

Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.

Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.

Use caution when walking or driving at night.

Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone.

Avoid walking on beaches after dark.

Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.

Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.

Use caution at, or going to, major transportation centers or on public transportation, especially at night. Passengers face an elevated risk of robbery or assault using public, municipal bus transportation throughout Brazil.

Use increased caution when hiking in isolated areas.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.

Review the Country Security Report for Brazil.

Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.

Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.

International Borders Level 4: Do Not Travel

U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to areas within 150 km/100 miles of the international land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay without advance approval from security officials due to crime. Travel to the Foz do Iguacu National Park and Pantanal National Park is permitted.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Informal Housing Developments (commonly known as Favelas) Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados), even on a guided tour. Neither the tour companies nor the police can guarantee your safety when entering these communities. Even in these communities that the police or local governments deem safe, the situation can change quickly and without notice. While some informal housing developments have clear boundaries or gates, or even names such as favela, vila, comunidade, or conglomerado, other such developments may be less obvious, and may be identified by crowded quarters, poorer conditions, and/or irregular construction. In addition, exercise caution in areas surrounding these communities, as occasionally, inter-gang fighting and confrontations with police move beyond the confines of these communities. Except under limited circumstances and with advance approval, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to enter any informal housing developments in Brazil. Read the Safety and Security Section on thecountry information pageand consult the maps on the Embassys website for further information regarding favelas.

Visit our website for Travel High-Risk Areas.

Brasilia's Administrative Regions (commonly known as Satellite Cities) Level 4: Do Not Travel

Without advance approval from security officials, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to Brasilia's Administrative Regions of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (non-daylight hours) due to crime.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

To unsubscribe from this electronic mailing list, click here. Please allow 48 hours for the request to process.

at least usa updates yours on the norm, canada known for its new is the norm mentality only have this tidbit for women in brazil

Women's safety

Women travelling alone may be subject to some forms of harassment and verbal abuse.

Avoid travelling alone at night

Avoid carrying purses

thats it.

But they have a huge section on maritime piracy lol

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/brazil

@abthree I am always saddened to hear stuff like that because I am so connected via, alerts, newscasts etc. with what goes on in my old neighborhood and country. The big story now is the Maryland Judge who was killed in his suburban driveway by the man in a divorcé trial he was holding that day where he gave custody of the kids to the wife. The other story is the horrific case of a teenager known for speeding who ran into an officer on our main highway who had ticketed him before. The teenager purposely ran into the officer going 110 mph. The officer lost both of his legs. I am also reminded that I used to live only 40 minutes away from the Capitol on January 6th. Of course no Tourists were involved (though I am sure there were some on January 6th.) so no alert for our own country.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

I remember about 10 years ago when the American airline pilot got photographed in Brasilian immigration holding his PP with his middle digit facing upwards on purpose, while holding the document in one hand.

This was during some visa dispute between the countries.

He was deported and banned IIRC.

Everywhere I went I made sure people knew I was NOT American because they always wanted to know before engaging with me. Kkkkkkkkkkkkk

Now if you are a "U.S. government personnel" such as the senate staffer to Senator Katie Britt of Alabama who was carjacked at gunpoint on Capitol Hill yesterday, Rep. Angie Craig who was assaulted in the elevator of her Washington apartment, a Senator Rand Paul staffer who was stabbed multiple times suffering "life-threatening injuries" walking in the district, a Virginia man armed with a metal baseball bat who entered the district office of Rep. Gerry Connolly and attacked two members of his staff or the carjacking at gunpoint of Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas all this year. (Violent crime is up by 40% in the Nations Capitol.) at least they were not tourists in Brazil.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

I live in a city of 1.4MM in Canada when I am not in Rio.

About 15 years ago a Brasilian was blinded by a bala perdida in our downtown. Ironic eh ?

There were 5 drug related murders within a 5 block radius of our downtown apartment one year.

There have been no murders within 5 blocks our our apartament in Copacabana in 20 years.

The first time I flew to Brasil I was very nervous because I read too much "information from official sources" online........kkkkkkkkkkk

Whenever I bring these stories up amongst Brasilians whining about "security" they stop talking.

@Gasparzinho 777 I understand and this is close to the truth I live also. My biggest challenge is that my father remarried to a Brazilian from Niteroi when I was about 10 yrs. old. I started to go to my Brazilin mothers homeland almost immediately. I loved it and always knew that when I retired I would live in Brazil. Now over 50 years later I live in North Eastern Brazil with my Brazilian wife and my Brazilian 2nd. mother. Unfortunately, Brazil is no longer considered the great place to live that it was when I was growing up. I am proud to have accomplished this, but have to swallow hard when I let people know where I retired to and they say...."and you lived to tell about it".

Roddie in Retirement1f627.svg

Nor is Canada the same place I grew up in either.

Like I said to my wife......."we live in a shiny third world sh*t hole right now, and there is no beach nor football".

I've been traveling to Brasil since 2000 and have over 60 trips so far. Of course, things are changing.

Pro's and con's aside, I have no issue with telling people here where I have moved to, nor what it costs to live there. The happiest moment in my life, second to my wedding day, will be when I can hold my Brasilian PP in my hands.

Crime and violence is not exclusive to Brazil. Perhaps they should issue travel warnings to cities in the USA.  Chicago for example has to date 489 homicides. l imagine the average person traveling there has no idea.

Crime and violence is not exclusive to Brazil. Perhaps they should issue travel warnings to cities in the USA.  Chicago for example has to date 489 homicides. l imagine the average person traveling there has no idea.

-@KenAquarius

I am in either San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland Or., or Seattle every couple of months. I find any of them to be dirtier and more unsafe than downtown Sao Paulo. I grew up around San Francisco, I am shocked and saddened now when I am forced to go there.

10/21/23    Crime and violence is not exclusive to Brazil. Perhaps they should issue travel warnings to cities in the USA.  Chicago for example has to date 489 homicides. l imagine the average person traveling there has no idea.

-@KenAquarius

Just for fun, I checked the website of the Brazilian Embassy in Washington DC to see whether they issue the same kind of alerts to Brazilians living there that the US Embassy does to us.

Nope. 😏

yea, suprised there isnt one for canada. whats going on in california is widespread across canada in terms of homelessness, its being amplified by a cool sock wearing leader thats causing canada to tank pretty hard in terms of living costs. Crime is just off the charts now, its more elaborate between walking past someone and they copy your bank cards and credit cards and do their shopping sprees, down to the old put up your dukes and give me all your contents.

this is ongoing in established neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods. BUT the only sections untouched by this are where the million / billionares live around toronto due to 10-15% of the police force of the city patrols those neighborhoods which are only like less than 0.5% of the person per capita ratios. lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/h … -1.6760973

Human trafficking is an absolute HUGE issue in canada too. too many holes -.- ( no pun intended ) in the system we have

10/23/23  New Security Alert from the US Embassy

Security Alert: Drugging and Robbery Incidents 

U.S. citizens in Brazil should be alert to the widespread use of sedatives to drug and rob individuals. While victims continue to be randomly targeted in bars and nightclubs, foreigners are also targeted through online dating applications.  Some of these incidents have resulted in death or serious medical emergencies as a result of an overdose or side effects from the drugs used to incapacitate the victims.

Actions to Take:

·         Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone and avoid leaving with strangers.

·         Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.

·         If using dating applications in Brazil, before you go on a date, let someone know whom you are meeting, where you are going, and the details of the dating application account you are communicating with.  Victims who are targeted on dating applications tend to have their electronic devices stolen, which often contain all evidence of communication with the assailants.

·         Be wary about inviting individuals to your residence.  If inviting a new acquaintance to your residence, speak to your door attendant in advance and be clear as to what information your new visitor should provide prior to entry (photo identification, etc.).

·         Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right or if you suddenly feel ill, walk away from a situation. 

·         If you fall victim, report immediately to local police.  If able, seek medical attention immediately.  Then contact us at the numbers listed below.

Assistance: 

U.S. EmbassyBrasilia 

SES - Av. das Nações, Quadra 801, Lote 03  

70403-900 - Brasília, DF  

Phone: (61) 3312-7000  

After-Hours Emergencies: (61) 3312-7400 

E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Consulate General Recife 

Rua Goncalves Maia, 163 Bairro Boa Vista  

Recife, PE – 50.070-060 

Phone: (81) 3416-3050 

After-Hours Emergencies: (81) 99916-9470 or (81) 3416-3060 

Email: [email protected]

U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro 

Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 Castelo 

Rio de Janeiro, RJ — 20030-020 

Entrance at Rua Santa Luzia 

Phone: (21) 3823-2000 

After-Hours Emergencies: (21) 3823-2029 

Email: [email protected]

U.S. Consulate General São Paulo 

Rua Henri Dunant, 500 

Chácara Santo Antonio 

São Paulo, SP — 04709-110 

Phone: (11) 3250-5000 

After-Hours Emergencies: (11) 3250-5373  

U.S. Consulate General Porto Alegre 

Av. Assis Brasil, 1889 

Passo d'Areia 

Porto Alegre, RS— 91010-005 

Phone: (51) 3345-6000 

After-Hours Emergencies: (51) 98293-0446 (after hours) 

  

State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 

Brazil Country Information 

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates. 

I wonder what warnings the Brazil Embassy gives to Brazilians travelling to the USA!!! Assuming that they are prepared to wait around 450 days to get a tourist visa appointment...

10/23/23    I wonder what warnings the Brazil Embassy gives to Brazilians travelling to the USA!!! Assuming that they are prepared to wait around 450 days to get a tourist visa appointment...

-@Peter Itamaraca

I looked on their website the other day with just that question in mind.  Didn't see any.

·         Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone and avoid leaving with strangers.

·         Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.

·         If using dating applications in Brazil, before you go on a date, let someone know whom you are meeting, where you are going, and the details of the dating application account you are communicating with.  Victims who are targeted on dating applications tend to have their electronic devices stolen, which often contain all evidence of communication with the assailants.

·         Be wary about inviting individuals to your residence.  If inviting a new acquaintance to your residence, speak to your door attendant in advance and be clear as to what information your new visitor should provide prior to entry (photo identification, etc.).

·         Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right or if you suddenly feel ill, walk away from a situation.     -@abthree

To the point advice from the US Embassy. I see no exaggeration there, sound precautions against commonly heard stories at night life/dating scenes in big cities.

and this is a fun conversation I actually like having with people. and explaining this to people who have only lived in one country is like banging your head against the wall sometimes!

I've lived in 4 countries and traveled to 50.......my sister OTOH has only ever been to one country,  Cuba. Once for 10 days in her entire life.......I feel your pain LOL.

I wonder if they'll add a line to the warning for Rio........"avoid riding public buses in the milicia controlled areas of Rio de Janeiro, as they may be delayed due to combustion".........

I am dead omg hahahahaha yeah, anytime I travel everyone thinks XYZ countries cartel has me if I dont call within a certain amount of time. lol