Resident Permit

Hello all,

I got my D7 and had my interview with SEF in mid April 2023.

As of now, I have not received my RP card.  I have returned to the USA and now waiting to hear from SEF.  Tried calling and emailing without success.

Should I return to Portugal and wait for the card?  If RP card takes more than 3 months, I won't be able to continue staying there bc I have a US passport.

Any advise?

Thanks

josephine

I don't expect SEF will call or email.  The key question is what will happen when it arrives at the postal mail address you gave them.  Delivery may or may not require a signature, either can happen.  If it's convenient for you to come right back and wait for it, that's sure what I would do.

You won't get in any trouble for over-staying your resident visa, under the circumstances.  Keep the receipt from SEF that shows you're waiting for your card.

@donn25

Thanks much! 

The receipt I received at the end of interview  (Euro 170.50) does only state the amount received.  It does not say that I was approved.  Can I still use this receipt, when I re-enter Portugal and live there until I receive my RP card? I also have my US passport which allows one to stay for 90 days. 

FYI, SEF has updated my account online with the address on my Lease Agreement, so they do have the right address.

Cheers

I don't know for sure that you couldn't use the receipt, along with an expired D7 visa ... but I doubt it.  What I meant is more like, if you get picked up by the police because you're an exact double of a notorious owner of barking dogs, and they turn you over to SEF because they see you're on an expired visa, you've got that receipt.