Seeking Advice for Relocating to Germany (Berlin or Cologne)

Hello fellow expats and soon-to-be expats,

I hope this message finds you all in good health and high spirits. I'm reaching out to this community in the hopes of gathering some valuable insights and perhaps even forming connections with like-minded individuals.

A little about myself: I am a former professional athlete who, after an exciting career that took me to numerous countries, now faces the exhilarating challenge of planning a move back to Germany. This transition is a particularly daunting task for me, as my previous sports contracts always encompassed accommodation, insurance, and various logistical arrangements. Now, with this responsibility squarely on my shoulders, I find myself in need of guidance and assistance from those who have navigated similar paths.

Having previously lived in Germany during my competitive years, I am well-acquainted with the lifestyle and cultural nuances. However, transitioning from an athlete's lifestyle to that of an independent expat is a significant shift, and I believe that the insights and experiences of this community can be invaluable in making this journey a success.

I am particularly drawn to two vibrant cities in Germany: Berlin and Cologne. If any of you have insights or recommendations specific to these locations, I would greatly appreciate your input. As an EU citizen, I have the privilege of being able to explore new career paths within the European Union.

My Goal in 1 Sentence: I aspire to relocate to either Berlin or Cologne, ensuring I secure both accommodation and employment.

My Challenge: I'm confronted with the unfamiliar territory of transitioning from professional sports, which feels like a difficult task. However, my determination to succeed drives me to embrace any necessary steps to accomplish this new chapter in my life.

In my quest to gather information and connect with fellow adventurers, I have a few questions:

1.For those who have already made the move to Germany, I would love to hear about your experiences and the steps you took to facilitate this transition?

2. Are there others who are also in the planning stages of moving to Germany? Perhaps we can embark on this exciting    journey together, pooling our resources and knowledge.

3.Additionally, I am in the process of researching professional services that specialize in accommodation and job search support. If you have any recommendations or experiences to share, I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my message. Your insights and experiences are invaluable to me, and I am eager to learn from this wonderful community.

Additionally, I enjoy engaging in philosophical discussions and playing League of Legends. If you share these interests, feel free to reach out! :)

Wishing you all the very best in your own journeys,

Justlame

@Justlame Welcome to the forum, which is exactly for people planning an expatriation in Germany and then carrying out those plans!

You should read the many discussions and lots of advice given in existing discussion threads.

If you then have questions that were not already addressed, you are welcome to post them here and we will reply to the best of our knowledge.

As an EU citizen, you will face minimal hazzle (well, as minimal as German buerocrats allow - which is still too much for some).

Job placement agencies (a.k.a. headhunters) are paid by and act in the employer's interest, not yours. I have no idea if there are some specialized in professional sports.

Property agents (for your rental accommodation search) act in the interest of the party who engages (and pays) them. So this is an option for you if you have spare cash (i.e. the equivalent of three months rental).

@Justlame Welcome to the forum, which is exactly for people planning an expatriation in Germany and then carrying out those plans!
You should read the many discussions and lots of advice given in existing discussion threads.
If you then have questions that were not already addressed, you are welcome to post them here and we will reply to the best of our knowledge.
As an EU citizen, you will face minimal hazzle (well, as minimal as German buerocrats allow - which is still too much for some).
Job placement agencies (a.k.a. headhunters) are paid by and act in the employer's interest, not yours. I have no idea if there are some specialized in professional sports.
Property agents (for your rental accommodation search) act in the interest of the party who engages (and pays) them. So this is an option for you if you have spare cash (i.e. the equivalent of three months rental).

-@beppi Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm excited to be part of this forum. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a job in professional sports, but rather any available opportunities, including those that don't require specific qualifications. The notion that job placement agencies act only in the employer's interest over their clients is quite surprising to me. In light of this, it's clear that I'm not aligned with their approach. I'm looking to invest my time, future, and resources with someone who genuinely cares about my goals - to secure both accommodation and a job in either Berlin or Cologne. I fully understand the value of this assistance and am willing to compensate generously for the expertise of anyone capable and willing to support me in achieving my objectives. Any advice and insights in that direction are greatly appreciated.

@Justlame In that case, maybe a relocation consultant might be the right choice. They are usually engaged by companies transferring employees to foreign countries (and you might have encountered them in your sports career). But they are NOT cheap!

With the attitude "any available opportunity, including those that don't require specific qualifications" and assuming you don't speak German well, you will find only menial jobs (which might or might not pay the legal minimum wage of 12€/hour). These include agricultural harvest help, supermarket shelf stocker, house cleaner, etc. Is that what you want?

If you do speak German, you can add many professions that do not require prior skills (and still earn little), like waiter, shop attendant, postman, data entry clerk, call centre, etc.

Most other jobs require skills and certificates, even typical foreigner jobs like construction worker, technician, hairdresser, taxi driver, kindergarten teacher, nurse, etc.

I recommend looking within your area of expertise, although I am unable to tell you what is available in the area of sports (perhaps personal trainer, or sports officer?). That way you'd probably have more satisfaction and pay!