Renewal of lechna carta

Wwe have a 5 year long term resident card which will expire on the 31st of October 2023.

We are hoping to get a 10 year residency card.  Has anybody since Brexit renewed their cards from 5 years to a 10 year card, if so how many days before card expires, and what documentation needed, it's for me and my wife and our 18 year old son.

Information from somebody who has renewed in the last year would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi I renewed my LC last month not for ten years but for five I was not aware of the ten year LC the documents needed in Stara Zagora passport, bank account, deeds to property and private medical insurance.

Thank you for your reply Nigel.

how many days before your card expired you went to renew

@horadada3 It depends on when you got your long-time residence (the "five-year card") first, and whether you have replaced it with a new long-term residence card right after Brexit. You need more than 5 years (e.g., 5 years + 1 day) of long term residence with no breaks, and then you can apply for permanent residence (the "ten-year card"), which is actually a different, better, status.

My card expired in February this year so it was out of date( mix up with when I actually applied for the L C and when my health card expired) but there was no problem.

I have the new 5 year card after Brexit, runs out at the end of October.

problem is my sons card was issued when he was 13, he his now 18, he his a student with no bank account, so I don't know what documentation I need for him, for me straight forward (. I think )

We have the new E11 uk health card after Brexit, so hoping this would be sufficient for our health cover.

Really appreciate your knowledge of renewing LC

@horadada3 When I went to ask for permanent residence (Plovdiv, June 2023), the only thing they asked for was proof of having a home (in my case, the deeds for own house). They didn't ask for health insurance or income/savings any more. This is what permanent residence is about.

However, they want all this when you apply for the long-term residence.

And there is a trick. I first got long-term residence in May 2018, with a regular EU card valid for only 3 years and a few months. Then, t the end of 2020, when Brexit was about to "be done", I applied for a new, post-Brexit card, and they gave me one for 5 years. So, by June 2023 I have had 5 years and a month of continuous long term residence. They checked this in their database, and gave me permanent residence. The application cost 7 leva, and, as I said above, they only cared about housing.

Now, a friend of mine also had an original card from 2018, exchanged for the new post-Brexit card around 2020/2021. But they made the validity of his new card exactly the same as that of the original card, so his total would be exactly 5 years. Since it would not be more than 5 years, they wouldn't give him permanent residence right away, but suggested that he gets yet another long-term card, and then he can come again even a few days after his 5th anniversary.

Now, if you have to go through this rigmarole, you will need proof of funds/income and health  insurance. That being said, your son probably got his residence as your family member, so may be they can accept proof of your funds for him. Just go to the migration department, and ask, they will tell you.

Has anybody renewed their 5 year long term residency card, for a 10 year card this year…

@horadada3

For Brits, they are pretty relaxed because of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you've been here 5 years they should give you a 10-year permanent residence permit.

We did it at the end of 2022, no hassle at all. I think they are even pretty relaxed if your cards have recently expired, but I would say it's safer to go to your local immigration office a week or two before they expire.

The main requirement is your proof of address, so your Notary Act or rental contract/landlord declaration is necessary. I'm not sure they're checking other documentation, but it's always safer if you have proof of health insurance (local policy, or UK EHIC/GHIC, or registration in BG system) and some proof of funds.

If each of you has a 5-year permit, then each of you now qualifies for PR in your own right. They might accept the Notary Act for all of you, or they might be picky if it's in one name only, or in a company name. In which case, you might be safer with a separate declaration from the listed owner (e.g. the company) stating who is entitled to live in the property.

Alternatively, one of you can get PR, and the other 2 can get PR by family reunification (with proof of family relationship by marriage or birth). This is probably slightly easier, but either way, I don't see that you would have any problems leaving with 3 PRs.

All the info is online at the Ministry of the Interior under Brexit.

https://www.mvr.bg/brexit

This the application form

https://www.mvr.bg/docs/default-source/default-document-library/application-form_u%D0%BA1bb738c058c943278dd73448ba9a8063.pdf?sfvrsn=777e7b84_0

Good luck!

Thank you GWYNJ,

would you know what documents I need to produce..

Our son his now 18, but not working as yet, so he relies totally on our income.

Hopefully I will start the process 14 days before card expires

@horadada3

The links in my previous post have guidance and the official application form.

The main applicant(s) need passport + application form + Notary Act (or other proof of address).

As part of the application, you can choose a status: employed/self-employed, in education, family, or other grounds (retired or of independent means). I'm guessing you're in this last category, in which case you also need your proof of funds and proof of health insurance cover.

Anyone not on your Notary Act would need their own separate application form, with status of family. The document provided with this status is the birth certificate or wedding certificate to show the family relationship.

From my experience, and other feedback, I don't think it will be a huge drama. But if you don't speak very good Bulgarian it's always a bit easier and less stressful to take an interpreter/translator with you.