Secure your financial assets as an expat in Brazil

Hello everyone,

As we navigate the exciting world of living and working in Brazil, it's essential to make informed decisions about our financial future.
We'd love to hear about the different investment options available for expats: how to invest in Brazil or in your home country, explore international options or use online accounts.

To kick off the discussion, here are some guiding questions:

What are the investment opportunities as an expat in Brazil? Are there any specific investment programs?

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of investing internationally ? How is your experience with international investments?

What specific points should you consider regarding your investments as an expat (exchange rate management, international tax obligations or repatriation of funds)?

Do you use specialized banking services for expats, such as multi-currency accounts? What are the pros of these services and how do they help you with your finances?

How is the property market for expats? Are there any specific regulations or aspects we should be aware of when investing in real estate in Brazil?

What strategies do you apply to save and invest for your financial future in Brazil and/or to secure your children's financial future?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Disclaimer... I am not an equities person, nor a bonds salesman, i am just a licensed Real Estate Broker.  Caveat Emperor.

Debênture=bond.  Seek the Government Bond type.  The Central Bank ( your FEd equivalent ) lending prime rate, the SELIC , is pegged at 13,5% per annum. So, look for incentives pegged to that rate. That are several of such bonds offered through special programs ( infra-structure, agricultural output ). Also look for Insurance based bonds, such as the equivalent of Annuities. Anything that pays dividends.  Stay away from Private Business issued bonds.  All of the above are Tax Deferred, so you want to investigate them, one by one.

Real Estate.  People need to understand enough to stop asking for rates of return. Americans in particular, tend to be guilible for punishment with their silly spreadsheet projections.Real Estate rates do not offer much of the return, as seen on Government backed securities, in an era of persistent high lending interest rates.

Real Estate, in Brazil, is an instrument to safeguard your assets, the principal. It's called a "Bem de Raiz" for good reasons.  It's a place to park your money, or stashh your money. To protect your principal. Not to bring in Your rates of return might be skewered for things such as idle vacancies, changes in rates.  If you are at steady 5-7% per anum, your numbers,  you are doing darn good.

The only time you will see wild Real Estate spikes, and therefore valuations & rental rates, is when demand exceeds supply. For that, you will need to understand your local marketplace. Employment outlook, new business formation, migration patterns, demographic changes, changes in zoning code, and tax incentives on special zones.

Also, rates of return are not the best way to evaluate Real Estate.  You need to take into account the return on rentals plus the flip sale result ( which takes you through past trends ) , and look for depreciation tax offsets. Until then, you know diddle squat.

Suffice to say, specially when you sit with those pre-construction salespeople at the stand, their Developer's market packages and themselves, tend to spread a lot of misinformation, and exaggerated figures . Everything you will invest will be on the up and up, and it all be rosy and hanky dory.  Just don't. My numbers , on city property tax levies can put down any arguments they make, as straight bold face lie. 

Also, stay away from Brazilian REITS.  A lot of negative outlooks they won't tell you. 

Coca-Cola Stock.  Yes, your read it right. Warren Buffet has it, so did Ty Cobb. Bank on it.  If pays dividends, then contact your broker or financial advisor.  Coca-Cola runs a franchise. They have the syrup whose formula is under wraps, and it is made in Atlanta,GA. and it is sold through franchised bottlers. No matter whose copy cat  Cola is out there ( including Pepsico's ) , they will outsell it by a factor of 10 , when not bankrupting the competition outright. There are places on the World where there's no potable water. People then drink Coke. Mexico being a prime example.

Stateside. In the same line of thought, your local  Utilities ( Gas, Power, Water ). Your typical Water and Waste Plant is going obsolete in many municipalities in the US. Those are not stock, mostly bonds.    Transportation, meehh, there is a lot of talk, but little being done. For my money, they are stringing Peter Buttieg. and he is going along with the con.  Lots of potential pork barrel there. 

If it is a racket, you want in.

Stay away from Junk Bonds. 

Here's a thought, and I will confess, I've been watching quite a bit of Peter Zeihan, the Demographic/Energ/Defense/Government Policy Guest Speaker Circuit  turned Consultant.  He goes about some interest trends.  He misses on quite a few details, but he has been quite good on his  past predictions ( although I find his line of thought too linear, and I take his outlook with a grain of salt ) . So watch his snipets.

Avoid these Brazilian Financial Whizzes with promises of high returns and the sure thing about his strategies.  Like a plague. They are just your rethread of American con artists who already done this back in the 80's and 90's.  Let the Brazilians buy into their stuff. 

Real Vision Finance on youtube is a pretty interesting channel with host Raoul Pal.  A lot of in depth interviews.Be reminded there's a lot of selling there too. And they are big on Crypto. So take all your get there  with a grain of salt.   

Avoid those Metals ( Gold ) whizzes.  They are touting their own stuff. 

@sprealestatebroker Any chance you could repeat some of that in English? I am not being critical, but we would be best advised to offer suggestions, ideas and advice in non-jargon english so all can follow? Some of us may not have pork bellies? 1f602.svg

@sprealestatebroker Do you also mean caveat emptor, (latin for buyer beware) not caveat emperor? (Kind of " beware of the Emperor?")

I earn in USD and spend in BRL, therefore exchange rate fluctuation is a big risk for me, as is likely for many others here.   I did not want to face the possibility of a reduction in my spending power if the USD/BRL exchange rate becomes unfavorable.

The approach I took was to accumulate enough BRL denominated assets to get along ok if the Real appreciates significantly.

Of course the counter is, what if the BRL depreciates significantly? My thought on this has been that Brazil has historically had very attractive real interest rates (interest minus inflation), which could buffer some decline in BRL value relative to other currencies. Further, currency depreciation is not so much a risk as inflation when spending BRL from BRL savings, which takes me back to the high interest rates, which also buffer inflationary pressures.

Recently I have been accumulating more USD assets, mostly short term treasuries.  I figure the USD is worth less BRL than in recent history, and since no one knows the future, I'll accumulate a bit more USD for some future opportunity. Further, I prefer not to have all the 'eggs in one basket' and that applies to currencies as much as individual investments.

As far as investing and investments go, I have some experience with real estate, stocks and bonds in Brazil.  With respect to real estate , I find it's not as much an opportunity as real estate had been in the US for some time (less so today with the high prices, and high interest rates). Rental yields, at least in Santa Catarina where I am, seem relatively low (perhaps @sprealestatebroker could chime in).  I have seen asset appreciation, so perhaps there's an opportunity for 'flipping' a home after renovating, but I have no experience there.  Furthermore, a lot of US based real estate opportunity comes from the possibility of using leverage.  A 30 year fixed rate mortgage at a low interest rate is a very powerful tool for funding, and leveraging real estate, which just doesn't seem to exist here in a way that offers the same safety and opportunity as you can find state-side (correct me if wrong).

Stocks seem like a good opportunity.  Dividends are super-high by comparison with developed markets, and PE ratios are low, which appeals to a value minded investor.  I personally stick with large cap pseudo-monopolies to limit down-side risk.  Some examples could be Vale, Petrobras, state utility companies etc.

Bonds are really where it seems to be at currently. The rates have been great the past year or more. An investor can stock away considerable cash in government protected bonds.  Beyond Tesouro Directo (government bonds), Brazil provides something like FDIC protection on CDBs and other types of private bonds, up to 250k Reais, per borrowing institution and CPF, as I recall. Yields are high, and if one is worried about inflation, one can purchase bonds linked to the IPCA (measure of inflation). For example, as of the time of writing an investor can purchase a Tesouro IPCA+ bond maturing in 2029, which pays the IPCA rate (inflation) plus 5.21%; not bad!

Some bond types, like the LCA, are tax free on interest in Brazil.  I tend to avoid those because they offer lower rates then their taxable counterparts, and since I'm also a US tax resident, I'll be taxed on the gains by the US anyways (possibly).

I would not invest in Brazil much if I had a plan to leave, due to exchange rate risk, and complexities of taxation between both countries.

One point on taxation; US tax residents should be aware of the concept of Passive Foreign Investment Companies, or PFICs. Do your own research, but PFICs receive a certain, very unfavorable, tax treatment from the US. Basically they're companies that receive the majority of their income from passive sources.  REITs, ETFs, Mutual Funds that are not from the US are likely going to be considered a PFIC, so as such, I do not invest in those instruments in Brazil or any other country other than the US. Again, do your own research, but individual stocks, bonds and real estate generally do not fall into that category.

@sprealestatebroker Any chance you could repeat some of that in English? I am not being critical, but we would be best advised to offer suggestions, ideas and advice in non-jargon english so all can follow? Some of us may not have pork bellies? 1f602.svg
-@Peter Itamaraca

Nope.  I fire it up at the spurr of the moment.  No re-edits. 

@sprealestatebroker Do you also mean caveat emptor, (latin for buyer beware) not caveat emperor? (Kind of " beware of the Emperor?")
-@Peter Itamaraca

Quick fingers on the keyboard.  You are correct on your pontification.  I make a point to let people know when |i am not postulating facts but rather my own opinions. 

I went to an Itaú investment bank in São Paulo to ask about fund investments vs US funds. The guy told me if the rate of the returns are about the same might as well keep investments in the US due to the currency exchange rate.

Hedging against the rate and parking money in BRL in real estate seems the most tax efficient way unless you rent it out. The Selic rate vs US rates has always been favorable for carry trades.

Any investment pegged to the Selic brings in decent returns. They are mostly some type of bond. 

Rental income, that's a conservative investment, so to protect the principal. You won't get wildly rich off it, but your chances of going broke are slim to none. 

On rentals, you need to beware it's not an up and up on returns. When quoted CAP Ratios, most people peddling it purposedly forget to mention your iddle vacancies. They can last a long time. 

Your best benchmark to evaluate a Real Estate Buy ought to be a Cash on Cash Return. So avoid prospectuses with multiples and Cap Ratios, because they tend to be innacurate. 

And for the right calculation of Cash on Cash Returns, one needs to be armed with historical information on property valuations against inflation, zoning change issues, demographic demand trends. 

For those oblivious to what Cash on Cash means....

Cash on Cash Return = (Sum of collected rental tallies + Resale Price at the Exit ) / Property Acquisition Cost

AS for ideal Cash on Cash, it depends entirely on your own goals, and a comparative analysis against other tye of investments. 

And one more thing.... This from my own experiences..

1.Avoid office buildings, unless you have a planned repurposing project in a solid rental market.

2.The perfect residential  tenancy is , above any other, renting out to Medical Residency Tenants.  This is a proven, here in Brazil and in the US ( I was a rental agent in the Greater Boston ).

Your medical student, or medical residency tenant, has to be on a walking distance to the Hospital where he/she reports for some odd punching in and out  shifts.   A 10 min flat. You get your property there, you are in fact printing money.  And , for most part, they tend to be very self disciplined folk. 

They rather live alone, pay on time, have to pay the asking rate and have no time for wild parties. 

@sprealestatebroker

That's great insight.

Just curious, what have you seen for yields in different areas? 

In terms of property attributes, what attributes make difference which attract consistent renters paying good rents?  (location near a hospital, noted... which makes a lot of sense).

Also, any thoughts on short vs long terms rentals (investing in a vacation area, and renting for the 'season', vs investing somewhere with the goal of securing a long term tenant)?

@BRBC I'm wondering the same thing..🤔 have you found any new leads?

Also, any thoughts on short vs long terms rentals (investing in a vacation area, and renting for the 'season', vs investing somewhere with the goal of securing a long term tenant)?
-@BRBC

I am, or have been, involved in 4 different types of rental market, and here are my conclusions:

1/ Short term furnished (1-14 nights): more expensive to set up as you have to provide everything; commissions to find tenants are higher at 20-25%, although rents are much higher; if you are not prepared to do all the work yourself, expect to pay a lot for regular cleaning, laundry, etc; can be very seasonal - expect highs and lows throughout the year, unless business orientated; requires constant maintenance and supervision.

2/ Medium term furnished (1-3 months): again need heavy initial investment to provide everything; commissions and personal work commitment as above; usually rented to people on local short term work contracts - which are often extended by 1 or more months, but you know they will leave at some point, so the place will become empty. As in 1/ above you are responsible for all maintenance - if a fridge, AC or TV breaks down, you have to fix or replace it - and you cannot rent without...

3/ Long term furnished or part furnished (6-12 months): these are common in tourist areas as families seek to secure a low cost weekend or holiday home for themselves (2nd home); commissions are usually 1 months rent, personal work commitment is much lower, but so are rents; these can often be 'abused' by the tenants with redecoration for parties, lots of guests, etc, which tend to create more wear and tear, so more maintenance required at end of contract; often a family will renew if they have been happy. This category is often a house rather than a condo as in the others.

4/ Long term unfurnished (12+ months): Commissions are 1 months rent, lower initial investment, rents are lower but zero maintenance as the tenant owns all appliances, etc; harder to find tenants but they are usually long term workers, professionals or retirees moving to the area and are keen not to leave at the end of the contract, and I have found them much more reliable and less likely to cause any damage. 'Guaranteed' income all year.

In conclusion I have found 4/ to be the best option in terms of financial return, lack of personal involvement (especially if buying in a condo), reliability of tenant, and low level of maintenance required when they leave. However, location is crucial - for example, on the beach in a town centre near shops and restaurants, and relatively close to their work is important - so they have the best of everything. Additionally having a permanent resident creates a higher level of security for the property, than exclusively occasional, weekend or holiday use.

It should also be noted that who pays the utilities, condo fees, taxes, etc can vary with the type and length of rental - so you need to evaluate how much involvement you want, or if you are prepared to pay for somene else to do it all.

Always buy in a condo as it comes with pool, gardens and communal area maintenance, security, etc, without any necessary involvement from the owner.