Formalities to bring your pet in India

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in India?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in India?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in India?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Hello,

We recently relocated to India from the USA.  Bringing your pets is complicated but can be done. India defines a pet as a dog or cat.  We tried it on our own the first time and were unsuccessful causing us to miss our flight and re book at a later date.  The second try we used a pet relocation service, petfly.in/Default.aspx. Dr. Choudery and his wife very helpful.

India requires on their forms a health certificate listing your pet's vaccination records and a statement from your vet that they are parasite and disease free.  They are required to have a current rabies and parvo vaccination.  The health certificate must be obtained within 14 days of your flight.  Once the Indian Health Officer receives and approves the health certificate he will issue a NOC- No Objection Certificate.  The Indian Health Officer will not accept a faxed copy of the health certificate.  This is where Petfly comes in.  They will hand carry the health certificate to the Health Officer.  The airline will not let you board without a faxed copy of the NOC.  There is no physical quarantine for your pet.

The first time we tried we had a family member hand carry the paperwork.  We did not receive the NOC in time for our flight.  We had no problem when we used Petfly.  The airlines that fly out of the USA also required USDA approval.  Petfly will be able help you with your countries specific requirements.

I hope this is not too confusing and you find it helpful.  Please contact me if I can be of further help.

Cynthia Singh   
[email protected]