Pets in India

Hello everyone,

Many of us in India have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in India? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Indians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Off topic. No publicity allowed

We've personally brought two dogs from America into India. Our first dog was attacked and killed by our neighbors dog so when we went home for the holidays we got a new puppy and brought her back.

What I can say is this - it's a very difficult process that requires multiple trips to the vet and a FDA to get the proper paperwork and stamps. All of that paperwork then has to be scanned and sent to a friend in India who has to go to India's version of the FDA and get the paperwork stamped and approved. This then has to be scanned and returned to you in America. This paperwork cannot be older than 10 days by the time you fly so it's very difficult to get it all done.

BUT, the big deal is that if you are a foreigner, you have to have residential papers in order to bring the dog through customs. Without the residential papers the dog has to be shipped back. We were lucky when we came through and my expired residential papers worked but it was a lot of tension and worry as I tried to explain our situation to the custom's officer.

You can adopt pets in India but if you want to come back to your country to bring it with you or travel with your pet, I know that there are a lot of examinations, blood samples you have to provide in order to get permission to travel with it.

Residential papers? What does this mean?