Formalities to bring your pet in Norway

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Norway?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Norway?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Norway?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Julien,

Where is the pet coming from?  This can make a bit of a difference on the regulations and rules (I just moved my dog from US-->Norway)

http://www.norway.org/Embassy/faq/#Pets

This should help a bit.  While it was a pretty painless process, it did costs a little bit of money. 

I would start the process a few months prior to the move (if coming from US....not sure about other places).  The animal will need a titer test which will check the rabies shot and make sure it actually worked.  However, the rabies shot must be up to date and the titer test has to be 4 months AFTER the rabies shot...so this may hinder things depending on when they last had this shot.

Once the titer test (blood test) is drawn, you must give it a month to be sent to a lab for processing.  Once it is cleared, you can go to vet 10 days before leaving with the animal and get a tapeworm shot/vaccine or something.  With proper paperwork, the animal should be cleared.  Before ALL of these steps, the animal must be microchipped.

Before arriving in Norway, one must contact the Food board here in the country and let them know an animal is coming and on what flight.  Once arriving in Norway, the food board will meet you WITH the animal (if they went in luggage).  Then they will scan the dog/cat for microchip and verify paperwork is fine and that is it.  Pretty painless.

I will be doing an upcoming post on this on my blog regarding each step because I have received a few requests for it.

Hi mstarr1188!

Thanks for your help ;):one

Armand

youre welcome armand! please contact me if you have any other questions!