Pets in Norway

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Norway have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Norway? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Norwegians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Hi,

I brought my dog (finnish lapphund) from Sweden, we drove him back to Norway but there is a boat you can take animals on board with, a lot of ferries have a room for this so if you are considering you should get in contact with the ferry company you want to use and ask them if they have such a service.

Since we were only coming from Sweden we didn't need a pet passport but you will need this from elsewhere. They are free in Norway but may cost an issuing amount in other places, we picked one up from our vet and they will let you know what vaccinations and checks your dog will need to have had to travel freely in the EU.

I know France is an issue if you are travelling as of the rabies risk so they like you to take extra caution (When I looked into this you had to be in and out of France within 48 hours)

It really depends where you are coming from with your pet! I know people have often said booking their pets into a flight was the best option for them then they could pick them up the other end.

You did a risky thing. All pets esp dogs even from Sweden needs a passport. If you were stopped and got unlucky they could put the dog to sleep esp if you dont have proper papers. Norway is bendalorm free but not Europe thus the strict enforcement.

Dogs coming in needs

A) to be vaccinated, rabies also only dogs from Sweden does not need this
B) chipped
C) have a passport
D) got a deworm pill 48 hrs prior of them entering Norway.

With a passport you can travel freely in or out of Norway with your pets. If only to Sweden, they need to get a deworming pill and stamp by a vet. If only 5 days in Sweden you do not need to get another deworm pill otherwise 48hrs prior to it they need anothee pill and a vet signature on their passport.

Once in Norway you will need to go to the vet to fill out the form to the pet identity. The vet will read the chip and confirm it. You will need to pay a sum abt 480kr per pet.

hey i have two adopted sighthounds both from spain. lovely dogs and i am proud i was able to rescue them .