Driving in Egypt for foreigners (licences)

Hi everyone, I have been reading up on how to get an international driver's licence to be able to drive here in Egypt and I guess I have a few questions.

- Do you really need one? (an international driver's licence) Or would you rarely get pulled over and asked for one.. And if you do get pulled over would it be a serious offence, or something a few pounds would magically fix?

- I read that international driver's licences are not valid for the country in which they are issued, any idea on this?

- Would it be sufficient to drive with my Australian licence, or is it a must to get an international licence?

In terms of getting the international licence, everywhere I have checked has stated the same, which is go to the Idaarah al-Muroor al-'Aamah to get a slip approving your existing licence, then to go to the Nadi as-Sayaraat and for 40LE you can get the licence.

Any ideas on the questions or any comments on your own experiences or something you may have heard from others?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

A certificate from an Egyptian ophthalmologist and physician must be obtained to verify blood type, visual and physical health.

Oh my, I just read this on another site.. Any ideas on this, no other site mentioned this as a necessity.

(I hate needles, dunno why, any chance to escape one would be great!)

Musa.au wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been reading up on how to get an international driver's licence to be able to drive here in Egypt and I guess I have a few questions.

- Do you really need one? (an international driver's licence) Or would you rarely get pulled over and asked for one.. And if you do get pulled over would it be a serious offence, or something a few pounds would magically fix?

- I read that international driver's licences are not valid for the country in which they are issued, any idea on this?

- Would it be sufficient to drive with my Australian licence, or is it a must to get an international licence?

In terms of getting the international licence, everywhere I have checked has stated the same, which is go to the Idaarah al-Muroor al-'Aamah to get a slip approving your existing licence, then to go to the Nadi as-Sayaraat and for 40LE you can get the licence.

Any ideas on the questions or any comments on your own experiences or something you may have heard from others?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

To obtain an international driving license

The leading service

* Automobile Club of Egypt and trips.

Documents and papers required

* The applicant must be an Egyptian or a foreigner residing in Egypt at the time they apply for a license.
   * Must have a driver's license according to the Egyptian and the provisions of the Traffic Act and its implementing regulations and is valid for a period of not less than one year.
   * Approval of General Directorate of Traffic Data on the health of the Egyptian license (certificate of investigation).
   * An application to obtain a license to the International Automobile Club and trips in Egypt.

Fees and charges required

* Payment of the prescribed fees Club, cars and flights of Egypt.

Notes

* Working Hours

Daily from 8 am to noon the second time.

Address:
For Cairo
Ramses 10 El Kasr El Nil, Downtown
25743176 - 25743418 to 25743355 - 25768171 to 25791666
Alexandria
Mansheya 15 Sheriff Pasha Street
4846730 to 4801350
Miami by the army Bir Massoud, Sidi Bishr beach
5481495 to 5481494
Matrouh
Marbella area 11 Marina Chalet 2
South Sinai
Nuweiba port entrance to Building 2 a low-cost housing

I think that you can get the Egyptian  driver's license by giving them the Australian driver's license.i mean to show it to them in the Department of the traffic where you live
:):)
i hope it  helpful for you:):)

i'm driving in egypt for 2 and a half years without driving license..got pulled over twice,once was the army during revolution period,the guys are great,no problems with them at all,other time police,for not wearing my seatbelt...30 l.e. solved the problem)) and all what they asked for was license for the car...

@dmx87:But if you get in an accident? You will have BIG problems for driving without a valid license! Even if you are not the one who caused the accident.

I don't know if you can get an international license in Egypt, contact the Automobile Club which ebcmarwan mentioned.

You can get an Egyptian license when you have a foreign drivers' license. Although it is not that simple as show your license AND the doctors' certificates. It will take you a while, but it can be done. You better ask an (Egyptian) friend to help you with that.

From my experience, you get a membership to Automobile Club and an international driving licence, than in Egypt you get a stamp on your international licence wich allows you to drive here. I did not make any medical check-ups, but maybe is different from a country to annother. Why dont you get an egyptian driving licence instead? I guess will be less difficult.

Very nice topic, as I am after an international driving license, too. I was thinking about an Egyptian one, too, but therefore u need a residence visa.
Please, keep us updated in case of any further developments. BATni wants to learn from u.... ;)

IDL is only a translation/notary of a local license from the country it was issued.

Therefore, to get an IDL in Egypt from the Automobile and Touring Club of Egypt (ATCE), you need an Egyptian Driver's license valid for at least one year.

Accordingly, it is useless in Egypt (actually you can't use it to drive in Egypt). It is only useful if you have an Egyptian driver's license and want to drive outside Egypt.

To drive in Egypt, you either need an Egyptian Driver's License (which requires a residence visa), OR a foreign driver's license PLUS an International Driver's License issued from the country where you have your local license. It is worth mentioning that - not only in Egypt but worldwide - you cannot drive using a driver's license in a country where you have residence or citizenship since it is meant only for visitors and transients. Therefore, if you are Egyptian or have an Egyptian residence visa, you cannot drive in Egypt with an International Driver's License.

Accordingly, if you are a resident, go get a local license. If you are not, get an International Driver's License from the issuing authority in your country - or a third country - where you have a valid local license.

It is worth mentioning that sometimes, traffic police is more lenient with foreigners and lets things go ..... However if you want to rent from one of the big car rentals (Avis, Budget, Hertz.....etc.) you cannot rent without a valid local or international license according to the above rules.

The Egyptian wrote:

IDL is only a translation/notary of a local license from the country it was issued.

Therefore, to get an IDL in Egypt from the Automobile and Touring Club of Egypt (ATCE), you need an Egyptian Driver's license valid for at least one year.

Accordingly, it is useless in Egypt (actually you can't use it to drive in Egypt). It is only useful if you have an Egyptian driver's license and want to drive outside Egypt.

To drive in Egypt, you either need an Egyptian Driver's License (which requires a residence visa), OR a foreign driver's license PLUS an International Driver's License issued from the country where you have your local license. It is worth mentioning that - not only in Egypt but worldwide - you cannot drive using a driver's license in a country where you have residence or citizenship since it is meant only for visitors and transients. Therefore, if you are Egyptian or have an Egyptian residence visa, you cannot drive in Egypt with an International Driver's License.

this is correct information :)

The Egyptian wrote:

Accordingly, if you are a resident, go get a local license. If you are not, get an International Driver's License from the issuing authority in your country - or a third country - where you have a valid local license.

It is worth mentioning that sometimes, traffic police is more lenient with foreigners and lets things go ..... However if you want to rent from one of the big car rentals (Avis, Budget, Hertz.....etc.) you cannot rent without a valid local or international license according to the above rules.

:one i already have it

dmx87 wrote:

i'm driving in egypt for 2 and a half years without driving license..got pulled over twice,once was the army during revolution period,the guys are great,no problems with them at all,other time police,for not wearing my seatbelt...30 l.e. solved the problem)) and all what they asked for was license for the car...

are you kidding!!!
driving about 2 years and half without a valid driving license!
honestly i cant believe it,as before the revolution it was hard even to try to make a small Traffic violation! and you are driving without any one stopping you and only when you have been stopped twice , it gone easy by 30 EGP,am sure you have an Hidden Option :D  plus nowadays 30 EGP will be considered as a bribe!

My advice to you is to drive safely and please try to make a driving license asap!
as you will be in a lot of problems if you are noticed.

No offense to anybody, but really, shouldn't u respect the laws of any country you are in? you would never drive without some sort of license abroad, and you would certainly not bribe anyone. 
I mean really, even if you are in the most corrupt country of the world, does it really matter? What should matter is who YOU are, and a basic belief system of what is right and wrong, regardless.
Since when is disrespecting the law and bribing taken so lightly?

I'm so disappointed in the few of you.

Mariposa_Voice_for_Peace wrote:

No offense to anybody, but really, shouldn't u respect the laws of any country you are in? you would never drive without some sort of license abroad, and you would certainly not bribe anyone. 
I mean really, even if you are in the most corrupt country of the world, does it really matter? What should matter is who YOU are, and a basic belief system of what is right and wrong, regardless.

Totally agree with your respected point of view.

I am with you. Wherever I am I always respect the local laws and rules ..... Getting a visa to a country is a privilege not a right and it means you are a guest of this country and should respect your hosts whatever their rules are and whether you like them or not.

Thumbs up
You are 1000% right, and I totally agree with you, everyone have to respect the local laws and rules, and I totally agree that ppl will respect you if you didn't break the laws

Well said Mariposa

semsema135 wrote:

Thumbs up
You are 1000% right, and I totally agree with you, everyone have to respect the local laws and rules, and I totally agree that ppl will respect you if you didn't break the laws

Well said Mariposa

i am agree with you too :):)