Residence Card

Hi,

I've been in Morocco almost 3 months now. I will be seeking a Certificat d'Immatriculation in order to stay longer. Has anyone done thus process or carte sejour process or is it just better to go to spain every 3 months, or can the border give me more than 3 months? Im living here but it wont be permanently.  I do need to be able to open a moroccan bank account, buy a car, and work or do business. Any information is appreciated, it's clear as mud on the embassy website.

Thanks my fellow expats.

@Nana Tee  Good afternoon. I suggest you go to the main police station in the city you are staying in. They will be able to guide you and get the necessary documents you need to get the national ID card. Prove of income to support yourself in Morocco is usually enough to get you residency.

I got mine after getting married to a Moroccan, and even then it took several months. I had a bank account long before that, and I had sufficient income the entire time, so that didn't help much. Prior to getting my card I did have to leave the country at the 3-month mark, but I think once you have applied they will let you stay. I'm a citizen if the USA, though, so my circumstances might be a bit different

I went to local police and they had no idea what I was talking about. It even says at the Morocco embassy sight that if you live in the rural area you should go to gendemdiere. They refused to do anything and told me they were not even aware what it was

I got mine after getting married to a Moroccan, and even then it took several months. I had a bank account long before that, and I had sufficient income the entire time, so that didn't help much. Prior to getting my card I did have to leave the country at the 3-month mark, but I think once you have applied they will let you stay. I'm a citizen if the USA, though, so my circumstances might be a bit different
-@Capoppy55

Im an American too. So did you take the residency card or the carte sejour? Did they notify the USA that you were now a permanent resident of Morocco?  When you left at the 3 month mark did you just go to cierta? How much time did they make you stay out of the country? How did you get a bank account before the resident card? I tried to get a joint one with my husband and they would only set up and American money one for me not a dirham one. Did you work here or the income was from usa? I just need to stay a short time like 1 or 2 years,  maybe even less and then return back.

I would recommend you Google “MarocMama” along with “carte du sejour”. Maroc Mama is an American blogger who explains various things in Morocco. She has an article specifically about applying for a carte du sejour in Morocco & she's got it written as plainly as possible.

I say as plainly as possible because every circumstance is slightly different. She has a bulleted list of items needed. You can start by gathering the documents that relate to you & go from there. Make 2 copies of everything. You'll need to notarize them. But start with Maroc Mama. Plus she may have more articles of interest to your needs.

Good luck!

The Moroccan residency is only good for one year the first time.

From what I hear it is pertty easy to get in general. But the most difficult thing will be to get an FBI background check and I hear it needs to be apostilled by the US State Department.  It takes as little as an hour to get the background check done but takes more then 2 months to get it stamped by the state department. I just mailed mine in to the State Dept last week, so I will find out how long the wait is.

I would recommend you Google “MarocMama” along with “carte du sejour”. Maroc Mama is an American blogger who explains various things in Morocco. She has an article specifically about applying for a carte du sejour in Morocco & she's got it written as plainly as possible.
I say as plainly as possible because every circumstance is slightly different. She has a bulleted list of items needed. You can start by gathering the documents that relate to you & go from there. Make 2 copies of everything. You'll need to notarize them. But start with Maroc Mama. Plus she may have more articles of interest to your needs.

Good luck!
-@elena3129

So is the Certificat d'Immatriculation the same as Carte Sejour? I don't want Carte Sejour at this time. I will definitely check her out.

@SamDC I'm confused. I'm still here in the states got my fingerprints done and next day received the report. You are saying there is more?

@SamDC I just got the fbi report mailed here to morocco so you are saying I have to send it back for another stamp? Boy morocco sure loves their stamps don't they? 

@eestelow no we are talking about when you are not going home after the 90 days you are allowed to stay in morocco. We are talking about options to renew the visa.

Hello welcome to morocco i wish you to have good and comfortable times .

Well , my friend american living in tanger city she was visiting spain when the 90 days end and back again for many 2 times and last time she got residency and then she is living here more , the process she did was using a lawyer and that's led her to open a company here and all is good after that . If you wanna more explanation i can ask her about the process and i hope members here have other informations to help you find a solution . Thank you .

@Nana Tee if you want to get carte de séjour, you'll need to provide a rental contract or any type of document basically stating that you're staying somewhere, and a proof of revenues, it can either be a bank statement or else.

@Nana Tee plus order documents : 8 photos, a copy of your passeport, and a medical certificate (you can go to any general practitioner and get the document for 150-200 dh)

@kenza.damir what kind of test do they do for medical certificate?

Just wanted to update everyone. I extended the 90 day visa at the local gendemdiere at the provincial level. This bought me the time I needed for the Certificat d'Immatriculation, which by the way is the same as a carte sejour. When applying for the carte sejour husband showed his bank statements, mar4iage certificate, passport, card national and I drew up a lease between his father and us and showed that as résidence proof. I had brought a copy of record check from the usa,  it didn't have the special certificate with it. It was a bit of a run around, but once all the papers were gathered it was really easy. Going from city to city to gather the documents, similar ti the narriage process when you live outside of major cities in the mountains. We turned it all in and waited about a month and was issued the card for one year. The man said after one year come back for a lengthier one. We got lucky had a super nice officer who spoke English helping me through the process. We were in Sefrou province.

Oh, fantastic news! The problem is finally solved! I mean, who could have possibly seen that coming? It's not like we ever encounter problems in life, right? So, who's the lucky contestant for the next thrilling episode of "Let's Solve More Problems"? Drum roll, please! 🥁

Oh, fantastic news! The problem is finally solved! I mean, who could have possibly seen that coming? It's not like we ever encounter problems in life, right? So, who's the lucky contestant for the next thrilling episode of "Let's Solve More Problems"? Drum roll, please! 🥁

-@Heart Collector you never cease to make me laugh with your sarcastic witty humor. It could be so much easier in morocco if they didn't make you run to get all these papers and then run to get all these stamps and then decide they need more papers so send you on that run usually you are running in circles for days, weeks, mo ths, and God forbid if someone is in holidays. It took 2 mo ths to open a bank account because I tried to do it when people took their summer holidays and no one else could assist me. I am attributing this run around to being in the middle of the bush. I certainly hope it's not like this in the big cities.

@Nana-T Unfortunately I was not there when you were going through otherwise it is not that much difficult, (trust me on this). I am here for almost 3 years and never faced any issues beside the time they require to issue the card