Why people like to live in Mauritius? What so special abt this Island?

I like Mauritius and planning to have a holidays next year.

But just curious, why so many people like to live in Mauritius ? What so special about this Island ? please share with me how u feel about Mauritius .... thanks

Hello miriyee05!

Your thread has been moved to Mauritius forum for better visibility.

I hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.

miriyee05 wrote:

What so special about this Island ?

Come and you will see.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi miriyee05,

referring to the term "like" I would say the tropical setting, progressive economy, stability, and many places are just nice to stay with many comfortoble perks etc. On the other hand, Mauritius also offers opportunities and possibilities to do business which also attracts people to come here. I also believe for some its a combination of both, the possibility to work and live on a tropical island is a dream of many... And for some its a sacrifice to be here, having left home, working hard to make an earning for a better future while appreciating the nice assets of the island. A white sandy beach with turquoise blue lagoons, warm weather, blue sky, a mosaic nation - it's some of those beautiful things of mother nature has to offer us here which makes it a place you can tag "Like" :)

Hi,
If I am given a choice at this point time to move to a developed country full of political,economic problems,riots etc and living among people who are cold hearted. I would prefer living in a safe and developing country like Mauritius. It is not a perfect country, but the people here are very warm and friendly and have no racial issues.
It is growing slowly has stablity and surely in the right direction.
Cheers!!!
Terence

Thanks to Harmonie, Dietmar and Terence. You guys are so good. I can even feel the people there are warm and friendly from here ...:P

Thanks for all the info about Mauritius. So, may I know when is the best time to visit ? Any special events & festivals ?

I have plenty of time to arrange for this trip, and will sure invite my friends to join and to explore this wonderful Island.

Michelle :cool:

Yep, i have to add on what terence mentioned that the other day i was thinking that long ago, when i waited for the bus or underground transit in a big western modern europe cities it never did really feel "safe" nor that the people standing around you that you would feel comfortable with them. You end up being a number in the masses. Cold hearted fits well. Its something i have completely forgotten here but just came to realise again. People here are warm hearted, eager to help you in problematic situations and it feels GOOD in the community to do things :) Add on to vanvu76, the weather is also really nice in october, last year we had like 4-5 weeks in that period nearly no rain here up north. (But we do need the water :))

I am someone that was born in the UK and grew up here all my life.  fortunately for me my parents are both of Mauritian origin and I have had the chance to visit this beautiful island every year whilst growing up.

What guys above have said is true, all places have their problems but to compare Mauritius to the struggling western countries and the monotonous lifestyle, same old grind I would always choose Mauritius.

There will be some home comforts that i will miss in the UK but myself and the family are head strong that this time next year we shall be busy with the new business and settling in Mauritius for good.

I hope you have a great time when you visit! Some places to see:-

+ Trou aux Cerfs
+ Ile Aux Cerfs
+ Pamplemouse Botanical Gardens
+ Trekking in Chamarel
+ All the beaches in North, East, West & South depending on how you like it
+ Casela Bird Park ( highly recommend the 4x4 quad biking)

there are too many to list here but if you need anymore help im sure everyone on this site can help :-)

Gosh, I'll be coming to MU next mth and security is of my prime concern.

Is crime against foreigners not uncommon there?  Is it safe to walk n travel alone to tourist spots, beaches, banks, shopping centers, gym, wet market, on public transport, etc?  I do not wish to be trapped inside my apartment all day long waiting for burglars to break-in (sorry for the bleak illustration).

Please do share with me what a middle-class foreigner like me should expect in MU, thanks. I come in peace and I love to blend with the locals in harmony.

Conface,

Tips for living securely on Mauritius:

1. Secure your home. Property theft is rampant on the island. If your home isn't secure - bars on *all* windows, xpanda's on *all* doorways - then you're basically inviting the thieves in. This is especially true if they think a foreigner is living inside. White people/foreigners = good stuff inside they can sell to buy drugs.

And don't assume that just because you're physically present at your property that it's secure. Home invasions are common on the island, and while few criminals carry firearms, machetes are readily available. So lock your doors, even when you're at home and the lights are on.

Note: We average about 3 attempted break-ins per year, though our layered defense of motion sensing floodlights/cameras, vibration-detecting window alarms and strong "fer forge" has so far kept them at bay. Also, having a few large dogs in the yard helps - best early warning system money can buy.

2. Secure your car. It goes without saying that the best way to keep someone from breaking into your car - whether parked in town of your own driveway - is to make sure there are no valuables inside. Also, if you drive a "luxury" make/model, expect the occasional envy-related "hate crime" (keying, slashed tires, broken tail lights), especially if you park in one of the poorer neighborhoods.

3. Secure your person. Never wear flashy jewelry when walking in town or through areas you are unfamiliar with. The "snatch and run" thieves often employ mopeds and work in teams - one drives up to you while the other grabs your bag/purse/necklace. Very tough to defend against, so be on your guard. Ditto for large crowds (guys, put your wallet in your *front* pocket).

4. Don't walk on the beach at night. Most assaults against foreigners occur at night on beaches in major tourist areas. So, if you really must go for that moonlit stroll, try to stick to well-lit areas, preferably in sight of some sort of security and/or police presence.

Bottom Line: Take care, be aware and try to find time to enjoy the sunshine ... if you can. :cool:

RCK

Have lived here for over 12 years, no longer consider myself to be an expat, have integrated well with the local population and can speak Creole....in all the time we have been here we have never experienced any problems with security. We take basic precautions as you would anywhere in the world. We live modestly  amongst mainly local people. Both my husband and I (he is a mauritian)underake charitable work to ameliorate the lives of those who are poverty stricken and in need / outside the state education system etc.I love my life here and have no complaints. You just need to realise that things work differently here --it is after all a developing nation!!!!

I agree with EVERY SINGLE word RCK01 mentioned above. I will also add a few more:

a) Expect NO JOY from the local police. If you do suffer a crime of some sort, they will also tell you, in a polite 'round-about' way, that it's a waste of time to report it, or this, or that... basically dodging the issue. In other words they don't want to go through the paperwork. This I have experienced more than 5 times.

b) Check your change (money). In the bus, buying stuff, always check your change. If they say they don't have change, they do because locals do get their change. They do this knowing you'll just 'forget about it'... or just 'let it be'.

c) If you're paying with a credit/debit card, and you want to pay by debit, the supermarkets will put it on CREDIT. Some will tell you their machines don't accept debit cards. Don't believe them, it does.

d) Always expect that it is your fault when dealing with companies. 'Customer is King' does not exist in Mauritius.

e) Someone will always push in front of you when you're in a queue. Don't look or feign 'surprise' when this happens. People will be just as surprised why YOU are surprised!

f) IF you're in business, always insist on a receipt, a signed contract etc. 'Gentlemens' agreement' does not hold when sh*t hits the fan.

That's all I can think for now.

thanks for the advise ppl, i will be living in cyber village high rise apartments, not sure if burglars in MU are as daring as my home country (where they dare to climb in thru the windows even if its 16 floors up)?  Btw, is cyber village a safe place?

I'm a chinese from Malaysia and I know there are local chinese ppl in MU too, perhaps that helps me to camouflage as a local chinese..lol  :)

Also, I must say that this thread reveals the so called dark side of MU, which on my observation, is unfound in other part of this forum.  Constructive too!

c) If you're paying with a credit/debit card, and you want to pay by debit, the supermarkets will put it on CREDIT. Some will tell you their machines don't accept debit cards. Don't believe them, it does.

Hi, why do they prefer Crebit card over Dedit card?  Normally business likes Debit card bcoz they do not need to pay the bank charges imposed on credit card transaction. Hmm...

It was interesting to read this thread with the various opinions about Mauritius. As a newcomer on the island (although of Mauritian descent, I am still an expat), my first impression is that Mauritius is 'paradise' because of the economic prospects it offers and the fact that it has a life out of tourism and if we compare it to African countries, it is steady and safer (although petty crime seems to be rampant).

I have already noticed the huge gaps that exist in terms of lifestyle and salaries so I do understand why some Mauritians feel and express frustrations. But as settledexpat mentions and RS Consul analyses it, Mauritius is still in development and going through transformation. My experience of living in many countries tells me that there is no perfect place in this world and trying to blend in with the locals and understand them is still the best way to enjoy life wherever one is.

In terms of Nature Beauty however, the Seychelles far outweigh Mauritius for its cleanliness and beautiful landscapes. And Reunion island is more picturesque.

Mauritius is a developing country in the African continent. Very proud of being Mauritian and also nice to have born overhere.

Everybody points of views are respected but still we cannot say much you can only feel it when you are here. People are very friendly, still you will always have small issues everywhere in this world. But we cannot complaints if we get the chance to live here in Mauritius.

Thxx

I'm surprised to read that some people still consider Mauritius to be a paradise. The only good thing here is seaside, sorry to say so.The country where the gap between poverty and rich people is so huge will never be safe to live in. The country is changing, even locals admit it. The people are no longer so friednly and helpful as they were several years ago.Prices are increasing constantly. Unfortunately can't say so about salaries. The basic salary leaves much to be desired, I'm talking about salary of a Mauritian.I won't even talk about crime here. And for those who are trying to prove that life is so nice here I would recommend to travel more around the country. Perhaps it will help to remove your rose-coloured spectacles.

Marusya wrote:

I'm surprised to read that some people still consider Mauritius to be a paradise. The only good thing here is seaside, sorry to say so.The country where the gap between poverty and rich people is so huge will never be safe to live in. The country is changing, even locals admit it. The people are no longer so friednly and helpful as they were several years ago.Prices are increasing constantly. Unfortunately can't say so about salaries. The basic salary leaves much to be desired, I'm talking about salary of a Mauritian.I won't even talk about crime here. And for those who are trying to prove that life is so nice here I would recommend to travel more around the country. Perhaps it will help to remove your rose-coloured spectacles.

Thank you Marusya for saying the truth about Mauritius. You are one of the few expats who sees Mauritius for what it is and not for what we advertised it to be. Its always better when it comes from an expat than a local as the latter is immediately tagged as "frustrated", "angry"  and having a "deep sense of resentment against their own country and expats".

Expats need to be more aware what they should expect when coming to the Island in order to be better prepared. Thanks to people like you Marusya, we help to keep them better informed!

Let's keep the ball rolling!!

Hello,

I'm taking a lot of these candid comments on board with a sense of relief. Many thanks for the honest replies here, its refreshing.

I left the UK in 1997. The final straw came when my car window was smashed and the radio stolen (ironically the radio didn't work anyway). That car was a replacement for one that had been stolen. This in the sleepy town of Petersfield, Hampshire.

Geneva in Switzerland 1998, I saw cars parked with keys in the ignition. It was a safe place. I say 'was' because in the years that followed things got bad. Getting hassled on the street while another raids your pockets is not uncommon and not a few of my friends have had break-ins. Personal safety? That feeling of being safe has long gone. Its been a sad and distressing decline. Drug dealers on the street corners are easily found.

Id been to Thailand and the Philippines many times with my late wife (she was Thai) and got up to speed on the 'no go' areas quickly. The eye-opener for me was an all night store with armed guards.

Now I have the prospect of working in Mauritius so finding this site has been a blessing. Paradise is may be, especially for me, a keen diver, but things did not add up. A growing economy and a lot of poor people. Not a combination that augers well for a crime-free environment.

Experience has taught me that if you are an ex-pat and a victim of crime then the police are less inclined to help. This is not to suggest that the police are racist but a simple fact. As someone once said to me when I first moved abroad : 'You are in an exclusive club but you will never be a member'.

So now I know and can prepare accordingly. Thanks again  :)

Hi there

I have left Mauritius 6 years ago and I have lived in Paris, London and now in Geneva. All that I can say is that crime exists in each and every corner of this world and Mauritius is no exception. Even in some rich neighbourhoods of paris, you have drug dealers on the street and burglars often come to visit between noon and 2 when people are out to work.
Each and every private appartment building in paris have access codes, not one but 2 !! That shows how people feel unsecured in some ways.
London is by far the most notorious city i have visited.
People are rough, and young people like forming up gangs.
Robbery, stabbing, drugs are common on london streets

So as to say, the main problem in mauritius is the gap between the rich and the poor. As it is a small island,this reality sometimes expresses itself most in some neighbourhoods. The best thing to do is to take a low "profile", try to blend in the population, don't wear expensive jewelery, improve home security by putting in alarms, keep a dog or 2.

am moses from Gambia i really like Mauritius and people inside it. i do respect people and love taking care of children.

Hello mazimas -> Just to note that this thread is dated 2011! ;)

Thank you,
Auréile

Well I have to be honest, I am far more concerned about my belongings being stolen in Pereybere than Iw would be in Petersfield! And I know both places fairly well!

[moderated : advertisement]

Mauritius is a home if that is what you want to hear.
I have taken it to be my second home.

Dave.

Michelle Chan wrote:

I like Mauritius and planning to have a holidays next year.

But just curious, why so many people like to live in Mauritius ? What so special about this Island ? please share with me how u feel about Mauritius .... thanks

Thank you guys for the proper comments.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
Im just a guy thats going to move to Mauritius in a month for my work and doing my research about the country atm.
Thanks again :)

You cannot tell how good it is unless you live in.. every country has its own ups and down

Well I went to Mauritius again this year well the people here are really friendly and helpful. I also feel much safer walking around in Mauritius than in South Africa which has a huge problem with violent crime.

Hai

I was thinking that Mauritius is a beautiful country 2 live peacefully 4 z last one year

So I was planning 2come over there

But today iam afraid a lot of security problems there, really afraid

So may I cancel my wish 2 come 2 mauritius, even though my frnd is there?????????????

Not at all, mauritius is a wonderful island. It is also called little india by indians. So much opportunities n facilities r given to people. Children have free studies, free transport, n olders also have free transport. Unsecurity is all over the world. Many chinese, sri lankais come to work here. So much tourists every year.

Mauritius is really safe. I walked around like a really bad tourist taking pictures of everything in the street and not once did I feel unsafe. Just remember you get crime in every single country though but in general I would say it is safe :) Also a good stable economy

Ha, that's so true Stormtrooper. Everywhere in the world customer is always right, here in Mauritius customer is always wrong.

I could go on and on why not Mauritius, but we're still here after almost 3 years so there must be some reasons. And these reasons are:

Stress free environment! Abroad we were living in a rat race environment. Here it's totally relaxed (for the good parts and for the bad ones).
Amazing landscape. You need to know where to travel, discover non tourist places. But when you do, the view is incomparable.
Business ventures. Mauritius is virgin in many business territories.
People - Many of them will go out of their way to help you. We chose not to live among expats in some coastal fancy village. We know well our neighbors, are in excellent terms with them and are considered as "the newcomers" even though we've been here for almost 3 years. For example, some time ago our car broke down and we had a very important business commitment to do with our car. So we asked our neighbor if we could borrow his, and without hesitation he said yes of course, didn't ask for anything, even said there was no need to fill the gas back (but we did anyway). This is priceless.
Safety - It's not worse than other countries. South Africa is much worse I guess. We're living among the locals, and we leave our door open every night so that our dogs could feel free to come and go. Never had any problems, never had any break in in 3 years. I am sure this is not possible when living in Grand Bay or Tamarin or any other rich coastal village. I wouldn't be walking alone in the street when it's dark, but I don't know many places where a girl can do that in the middle of the night.

So even though there are a lot of bad things that could be said about this island, we're still here, so yeah, Mauritius all the way baby!

Can you invest a local business as foreigner.

Good to read about the crime. I have been looking at houses and wondering why they all have such serious security.
Now I know.
But I am sure not as bad as South Africa. Things are getting worse and worse here.

I want to live there and I need ton know why
p.s boomadora is a word ( look it up)

Well I have been reading this thread with some surprise.  I have lived here for over a year and obviously have been on a different planet to some of you who seem paranoid about impoliteness, crime, etc.   

My work colleagues are great.  Whenever I have been in shops, I have never found people to be impolite.  OK some may not be walking around with a smile all the time, but where can you go that everyone does?

With regards to feeling safe, if I visit friends in the evening or leave work late (after 10pm), I have not felt unduly concerned.  If I broke down in the middle of nowhere, I would probably feel much the same as I would if it happened in Europe  .... on second thoughts, I might feel more anxious there but just exasperated here.

Couldn't agree more with JKEV. Mauritian people are polite, helpful and obliging in general. As for the crime statements, crime is definitely no worse than a large number of countries deemed to be safe and on the other hand a whole lot better than many, many other countries.

There is just something special about living in Mauritius and for those privileged enough to be living here we have got to count our blessings!!!!

Hi. Looks like a pretty Island.  Looks expensive lol. have you been to Thailand or the USA?? Tony

Hey guys

Been going through all your comments, pros and cons, positive and negative feelings, apprehension and assertiveness about Mauritius.

Well I view it both ways, since have been an expat previously in other countries and as a current expatriate service provider in Mauritius in addition to being a Mauritian, I interact with lots of expats in my daily life and I agree that Security is paramount wherever you live. In fact you if are exposed to certain areas at night be it here or elsewhere,you do become a victim, Mauritius is no exception.

However, Mauritius might not be like the big European and vast cities yet the question still lies as to why do so many expats continue to choose Mauritius as their destination of preference to work and live here. Why do people come and retire in this Mauritian haven and have no regrets... It could have been an amazing experience to some ,much to the detriment of others who simply have been through tough times.. yet the fact remains, it is a second Paradise, it is your second home, away from home provided you have been properly guided before you land here. A clear example is the number of Mauritians who lived and worked abroad for so long and who finds no better place to enjoy retirement than home....Our golden beaches and turquoise lagoons coupled with the warm touch of hospitality of Mauritians without forgetting our varied cuisine speaks for itself, and that simply renders others jealous for those who can't make it to this land of Paradise!!