Help needed to find an English tutor in Puerto Plata

Can any body living in Puerto Plata recommend a good English teacher for an adult needing to learn speaking and listening skills in English.

Basically my partner and I are due to marry in September and we were in the process of applying for a UK spouse visa. For the UK now you need to pass an English test but the DR was exempt due to a lack of test centres. That all changed on 3rd August and we found out yesterday that he will now have to sit the test. The big problem is that he doesn't speak English and needs a basic speaking and listening knowledge in the next 5 weeks. We are numb from shock at the moment and desperately trying to locate someone to help us.

Thanks in advance to any one reading this.

Hello Montellano and welcome to Expat.com!

You should post an advert in the Dominican Republic classifieds > language classes section.

I hope it helps,
Harmonie.:)

Your spouse is better off enrolling with a local language school. Alternatively, there are lots of online language schools.

Yes, there's on who tutor on line and he's a Professor at UTECO. I'm trying to post his flyer here, but maybe you can go on the Expats FB page. You can see more. I'm going to get the page address and his number

The AI level he will require according to the CEFR standard used by the UK for family visas is as explained (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowl … el%20test.) :

https://www.efset.org/cefr/a1/

CEFR A1 level English skills in detail

The official can-do statements are broken down into smaller chunks for teaching purposes. This more detailed skill breakdown can help you assess your own English level, or help a teacher assess a student's level. For example, a student at the A1 level in English will be able to:

introduce himself simply and use basic greetings.

tell where he and others are from and give a basic description of his city.

talk simply about family and colleagues, describing their appearance and personalities.

discuss clothing at a basic level and ask sales clerks simple questions about it.

talk about favorite foods and make simple orders for take-out food.

talk about daily activities and arrange meetings with friends and colleagues.

describe current weather conditions and suggest activities according to the weather forecast.

talk in general terms about his health and describe common medical symptoms to a doctor.

describe the location of his home and give simple directions.

talk about his hobbies and interests and makes plans for fun activities with friends or colleagues.

complete basic transactions at a hotel, including checking in and checking out.

discuss common products, make basic purchases and return faulty items.

Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students can expect to reach the A1 level in English with 60 to 80 hours of instruction.

Hope he is a quick learner and you ought to start tutoring yourself - many  expats who have lived here for some time may struggle still to reach the CEFR A1 level in Spanish if tested.

Hello,

I work for a small company of English teachers from the UK. If you are still looking for a tutor for your husband, please feel free to send me a private message.  Thank you.

kaydeevee wrote:

Hello,

I work for a small company of English teachers from the UK. If you are still looking for a tutor for your husband, please feel free to send me a private message.  Thank you.

This thread was opened in 2011 - I hope the OP resolved the issue by now!

-thread closed-

Closed