Humanitarian Supplies

Hi everyone.    My apologies if I'm opening up a new topic that has already been discussed.   Used the search engine but nothing came up.

O'k, we're heading back 'home' to Sosua shortly and we wanted to bring some 'humanitarian' supplies (school supplies for the kids, etc).    We heard rumours that we were allowed to bring one container with us with no DR 'tax' applied at the airport upon our arrival.

Can anyone enlighten me on 'how' or 'if' these types of supplies are allowed to be brought in to the country? 

Thank you oh wise ones :)

My experience has been, depending upon the airline, you are allowed 1extra luggage for humanitarian purposes free of charge.   It must not contain any personal belongings only what you are donating. In my case the luggage is labeled humanitarian and i have never had an issue on the DR side. Keep in mind that If the plane is fully loaded they may not load the luggage and it will stay in the airport for so many days until claimed.

That is exactly as I understand it.  Only extra - you need to clear it with the airline in advance Nd they may want a letter from a charity.

Yep all correct information.

Bob K

Yes, all true.  I usually tell the airline it's for a church near my wife's home.  They never pushed me for an actual letter, but of course they could.  Even the time I came here with my son and wife and 18 luggage's, not a problem. 3 of them for humanitarian purposes.

Thank you everyone for the valuable advise.

We will speak with our carrier prior to flying to DR...............     I hope its starting to rain down there :)

No rain now in months.  However maybe some showers tonight and tomorrow....Gardens are doing a rain dance.

Bob K

Punta Cana area has just the right amount of rain.  No problems here.  Rained most of the day today.

Nope they promised us 100% chance of rain last night (weather undergound) and NOTHING.  That is why I do not put any faith in the on line forecasts

Bob K

They are in the business of covering their asses Bob.   It is too hard to prognosticate here,  it could have rained  10 minutes from you and not at your place.

We will often get rain at our office site and nothing at the location of our biodisel facility - its  4  minutes away!   

But I hope you get rain honey.

Yes all so true but I really had hopes for yesterday.

Lawn is probably beyond saving at this point :(:(

Bob K

BioDiesel facility?

Neat!   Any recommendations on 'how' I find what petrochemical / refinery / etc facilities are located in DR?

I was also told that there are 4 or 5 mines that are being operated by Canadian companies..........

(I know I'm off topic LOL but your previous message caught my eye)

Well  I would open a new thread and lets all have a discussion honey.   And we can help you.....

I was told the same thing, that I could bring 1 bag, free of charge, containing humanitarian aid.  However, once at my airport in the US, I was told I had to pay $150 or the bag would not be allowed to go.  I paid the $150.00 and chalked it up to life.  It's always nice when you can count on the information you are given, but be prepared, just in case.

Oh, and by the way, this was for a missions trip and the bag was clearly labeled as such and I had notified the airline prior to my arrival.  This kind of crazy making doesn't just happen in the DR.  Just saying.....

I don't think you will have that issue on direct flights from Canada, at least i never have and have claimed a luggage for humanitarian aid many times. I try to avoid the us at all costs, nothing but issues, just saying...

Wow you got taken!    Someone in customs clobbered you,  I am sorry you had that experience.

Mike all my Canadian friends had great experiences too!

We did not have a problem with American flying from Denver with two suitcases of Medical equipment.  However that was 10 year ago and things may certainly have changed.

Wow 10 years ago....pretty scary

Bob K