Australian marrying Romanian in Bucharest - Long Stay Visa

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.  I am an Australian Citizen who is looking to marry my long time girlfriend in Bucharest in a few months and apply for a long stay visa so we can live together.  I have been told from various sources within Romania and this country that I can do this within my 90 day stay as I do not require a travel VISA.  I have also been told that I do not have to return to Australia to apply for the long stay VISA.  I am a little confused when I read some people have had to return home and some have not when they apply for the long stay VISA.

I just want to make sure that all steps have been taken correctly and for this information to be confirmed.  I have my birth certificate, single status certificate, police check and current passport all translated and notarised.  I understand that I will also need a medical check once in Romania and to also apply for health insurance.  I will have a decent amount of savings in my account also to show I can support myself for a year or two.

My partner can provide proof of a place where she is renting which is where we will live.  What else might we need to do before applying for the long term stay visa?

Any confirmation on this would be great and any additional help, advice or corrections is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!  Have an awesome day ahead.

Romania require some countries to have documents like birth certificate 'ultra' leagized.  This means, your birth certificate goes to the federal government in you own country for a stamp.  Then to the embassy in Romania for a stamp.  Then to Romanian internal affairs for a stamp.  Then it gets copied and translated.

In Canada this took 2 months during covid.

Only then is it a valid birth certificate for use.  If this ultra legalization is required, you should arrive with all documents stamped by your home country on arrival, or you will run out of time.

Ensure any other documents that need ultra legalization get done at the same time.

You may also need a notarized document from her family accepting you into their family. Probably based on who owns the home.

You must submit all docs and apply at least 2 weeks before you run out of visa.

Also, make sure your parents name is on that birth certificate, or it is useless (even if it is the original one from you birth).

The law is quite clear on this (OUG 194/2002 sec 3 art 27)

Cererea de viză se depune la misiunile diplomatice sau oficiile consulare ale României din străinătate, în a căror circumscripţie solicitantul îşi are domiciliul ori reşedinţa, iar în cazuri deosebite, urgente, la misiunile diplomatice sau oficiile consulare ale României din statul pe al cărui teritoriu solicitantul se află legal.

Translation:

The visa application is submitted to the diplomatic missions or consular offices of Romania abroad, in which constituency the applicant has his domicile or residence, and in special, urgent cases, at diplomatic missions or the consular offices of Romania in the state on whose territory the applicant is legally located.

This means generally you must return home and apply.  Even if you applied in Romania, considering the time it takes to get married, and then a visa decision can take 60 days (and possibly more in rare cases), you would possibly have overstayed your 90 days.   Not a good way to start things off.

They changed this law several years ago, as many foreigners were coming to visit (even visa-free), engaging in convenience marriages, and immediately being allowed to stay in Romania.  So now, foreigners must go home and apply for family reunification visa and reenter once approved.  EU citizens are exempt.

On another note please make sure your documents have apostilles attached; translation and notarization is not sufficient alone.

Romania require some countries to have documents like birth certificate 'ultra' leagized. This means, your birth certificate goes to the federal government in you own country for a stamp. Then to the embassy in Romania for a stamp. Then to Romanian internal affairs for a stamp. Then it gets copied and translated.
In Canada this took 2 months during covid.

Only then is it a valid birth certificate for use. If this ultra legalization is required, you should arrive with all documents stamped by your home country on arrival, or you will run out of time.

Ensure any other documents that need ultra legalization get done at the same time.

You may also need a notarized document from her family accepting you into their family. Probably based on who owns the home.

You must submit all docs and apply at least 2 weeks before you run out of visa.

Also, make sure your parents name is on that birth certificate, or it is useless (even if it is the original one from you birth).
-@iTarian

OP said his fiance is renting, so there's no need to be "accepted into their family".  I've never heard of such a document.  When I got married, I moved in with my spouse who lived in her father's apartment, no such notarized document was needed.  I think you are referring to a "contract de comodat/gazduire"

Also, what you mention about the birth certificate may also be inaccurate.  My father's name is not on my birth certificate.  IIRC, it was accepted with a notarized and translated declaration from my father.

@romaniac Thanks for the advice mate.  Though my partner contacted immigration in Romania and she was told while the VISA application is processing I can stay in the country even if it exceeds the 90 days.  This is made possible by a document (I forget what it's called, but it has the application number ect. on it) which enables me to stay until a result comes through.  It essentially acts as a temporary visa.

This was also told to me by a Romanian based visa service who you can employ to guide you through the process.  I will have to get further confirmation on this in the coming week.

Thanks again mate.

@romaniac Thanks for the advice mate. Though my partner contacted immigration in Romania and she was told while the VISA application is processing I can stay in the country even if it exceeds the 90 days. This is made possible by a document (I forget what it's called, but it has the application number ect. on it) which enables me to stay until a result comes through. It essentially acts as a temporary visa.
This was also told to me by a Romanian based visa service who you can employ to guide you through the process. I will have to get further confirmation on this in the coming week.

Thanks again mate.
-@AgentMulder

You're welcome.  That's good news then if that is the case.  Perhaps they only apply that law to those that aren't allowed to visit visa free, but I have not seen it in the law ordinances so far.