Shipping personal items from Canada

Hello,

I don't usually post but I am at a loss.  I have a computer and camera and some clothing.   I need to send it from Canada and I am so scared.  I sent a breast pump for my wife and customs took the item and demanded a 100 person tax and storage fee.  I asked them to send back and they never got back to me.  I paid the insurance and everything. 

They don't return the calls and I made it sure it was under 200 usd. I need to know if it is okay to send my personal items.

I have my TRC and I work as a teacher.   I have reached out to several companies and they never get back to me.  I need to send my stuff soon as I need it for my social media business.  I could not bring on the plane as it was too big to go into my suitcase.  Can anyone please help?   I don't need you to advertise anything.  Just some help as to why customs is so odd and they won't let me keep my stuff. 

On my last trip from US my items were too large  so I looked on my airline website to see how large a box I could ship. The items arrived safely with me. And we're never opened !

Hello,

I don't usually post but I am at a loss. I have a computer and camera and some clothing.  I need to send it from Canada and I am so scared. I sent a breast pump for my wife and customs took the item and demanded a 100 person tax and storage fee. I asked them to send back and they never got back to me. I paid the insurance and everything.

They don't return the calls and I made it sure it was under 200 usd. I need to know if it is okay to send my personal items.

I have my TRC and I work as a teacher.  I have reached out to several companies and they never get back to me. I need to send my stuff soon as I need it for my social media business. I could not bring on the plane as it was too big to go into my suitcase. Can anyone please help?  I don't need you to advertise anything. Just some help as to why customs is so odd and they won't let me keep my stuff.
-@gbride101g

Customs is not being odd per se.

They are adhering to their own established strict guidelines.

I don't have the link for another post but we've been all through this with people trying to ship laptops here (use laptops are simply on the forbidden list).

Also people trying to ship other things and making the mistake to give an insured valuation.

If you really want to ship something here and you really want customs to treat it as if it's your personal property, which there's no guarantee they will, you must give it a zero valuation.

No insurance.

You take your chance that way but they don't have the leverage of a declared value to use in assessing duty.

There are only two other options that I know of:

1. As was noted by the previous poster, bringing things as accompanied baggage on your flight is the way most of us recommend to people.

You have to pay extra for it but unless you're trying to bring in a bunch of iPhones like some idiot did in the past, and you just have regular things with you, you shouldn't run into any problem with customs at the airport, especially if you were to carry a laptop and other electronics with you onto the plane and not try to put it into baggage.

2. Locate a Vietnamese shipper in your area.

They specialize in sending things to Vietnam all the time.

This is where someone will say "I never had a problem", but if you were to search the forum you will find dozens of people who have had problems just like this.

Anyone reading this thread who's thinking about coming to Vietnam, please take care of stuff like this before you leave your home nation.

@OceanBeach92107

Perhaps this (resurrected) thread?

And from that thread, the link to Fedex's page "Vietnam Prohibited and Restricted Items" states (found under 'Vietnam Import Restrictions' ) that restricted goods include "Used Information Technology items".

How is a laptop and  camera too big to fit in a suitcase?  Even if it is somehow too big you should consider using "Vietnamese Luggage" for one of your bags (big double walled cardboard box) and pack the stuff in tight with clothing.  Shouldn't be a problem.  Whenever I come I walk right past the security scanners by the exit, looking around like I'm lost and not making eye contact with anyone.  In 15 or so trips in I have only been flagged down exactly once to scan my bags and even then there was no issue.  The other 14 I walked right out the door.

@SteinNebraska

Hello,

So I did not say laptop and my camera is is not a regular size camera.  It has several thousand dollars with of lenses.  The airline said no when I asked them and I already had 3 suitcases.  I was informed that shipping my personal items would be alright without issue as long as I could provide proof they were my personal things. 

My desktop is almost 15 pounds and is a computer for editing.  So I don't think taking that on a plane would be wise. 

I am very glad you have made 15 trips and you have had great luck.  I have 4 connects as I do not live on a coastal city and I had to do what I was told by the airline.  So please keep that in mind.

@OceanBeach92107

I appreciate this information but my camera and computer are very expensive and I am not willing to stake several thousand dollars on a chance.  I appreciate the assistance.   I am well aware of the prohibited items and I am already in Vietnam.  The problem I find with this question is that people assume that we have all looked through the threads and know because everyone else has had different experiences and we are on the same level. 

Being cautious and careful with my stuff is always a good idea.  Thank you for the information.  Evidently it will have to be more careful in the first place as I did not seem to get the emphasis on the issue

For those expensive stuff, it is better to buy a suitcase fit and bring them with you, even risk in that case . But still better than send over any other ways, loss is cost

Paying for excess baggage on the plane is allways better in the long run. Your stuff arrives with you. Camera  and computer equipment can go on as carryon baggage.

For  computer - buy again here. You can resell later at loss - but may be cheaper and less hassle than bringing one in. Camera with special lenses may not be so easy but still this may be the best way.

I need to send my stuff soon as I need it for my social media business.
-@gbride101g

Commercial use of the items could be another red flag.   I would avoid writing or mentioning that fact around customs.

If you do decide to return to Canada to retrieve these items, you also might consider leaving the monitor behind and shipping only the CPU which should fit in luggage.   Everyone tends to overvalue their own used electronics.  You could port everything from your computer to a portable hard drive (or two for safety) and travel with that.   Even with the added cost of computers in Vietnam, you may find that not too costly.  You would also likely have a chance at an equipment upgrade.  Look up "Moore's Law" which briefly says that available computing power doubles every two years.