Digital Nomad Visa - Application Process Q's

I have some questions about this that hopefully someone can help me out with. I should also say some relevant information: I have a German & US Passport but my current employer is in Germany (paid to a German bank account). Although, being a digital nomad, I'm almost never in Germany.

• Is it possible to apply for the digital nomad visa from any consulate? I.E. If I would be in Bangok for 2 months could I do it there?
  • If I need to apply where I "reside" then would I be able to do it in the USA or Germany? Would I need a background check from both countries?
  • Does the processing time actually take 2-4 weeks? And do you have to hand over your passport to the consulate during this time?
  • You need paystubs from the 3 months before applying, correct?

Thanks!

02/15/23  @sovelong.  With respect to your questions:

• You should be able to apply for the digital nomad visa at any Brazilian Consulate.  If you'll be in Bangkok for two months, there should be no reason not to apply there;
  • You will need a Criminal Background Check from any country where you have lived during the five years preceding your application.  If you've only spent a short time in a country, the Consulate may be willing to extend some flexibility, at their discretion;
  • Processing time varies depending on where you apply.  With some Consulates still working through COVID backlogs, it's very hard to judge.  I would expect Bangkok to be a pretty good choice.
  • You will need to provide proof of a monthly income of at least USD$1500, or a bank balance of at least US$18,000; that can be with pay stubs, bank statements, or any combination acceptable to the Consulate.

@abthree Thanks! I've mostly got everything I need for this now. I have one other question: for the travel insurance required, do you know if you need to purchase one that covers a full year? Or would they accept one that's month to month? I have a credit card with travel insurance/travel accident insurance but I'm guessing they wouldn't accept that? Finally, is there one that anyone can recommend? Thanks!

Oh, for anyone who's wondering I I emailed a consulate - the one in Barcelona - and they said I would only need a background check from where I've resided from the past year. Also, that the only thing I'd need to get apostilled is my birth certificate. I wonder if those things can slightly differ depending on the consulate?

03/05/23 @sovelong.  Month to month may be ok, as long as it looks "official" -- it depends on the Consulate -- but even if you get a policy for a year, make sure that you can cancel it any time without a penalty, because you'll probably want to do that and buy something local cheaper once you get settled.

Different Consulates do handle things a little differently, and by now they've had some time to get accustomed to this visa.  Sounds like you'll have good luck with Barcelona.

Hello, has anyone applied in the UK successfully? How long did it take? I'm having problems contacting the consulate to get an appointment to submit my original docs. Any advice would be appreciated!

@sovelong just to make sure, you didn't need to get your FBI background check apostilled?

@gpickett00  Hello can we apply also for Brasil RNE of 1 Year

05/28/23 @sovelong just to make sure, you didn't need to get your FBI background check apostilled?
-@gpickett00

Background checks do not need to be apostilled for Consulates if they're from the country to which the Consulate is accredited; otherwise, they may be.

Background checks do need to be apostilled if authorization for residence is being requested from the Federal Police in Brazil on a tourist visa, rather than on a Digital Nomad or other immigrant visa that has been pre-cleared by a Consulate.