How to work in Amsterdam as a foreign Physiotherapist

Hello all, I am an Australian trained Physio looking to relocate and work in Amsterdam. My passport in American. Any advice on how to proceed/if this is possible? Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

A physiotherapist is a regulated medical profession in the EU. In the Netherlands, that means you need to be registered on the BIG register and before you can do that you need to apply for a Certificate of Competence; this link will take you straight to the Dutch Government (BIG) website where you can start the process. One word of warning, a hurdle that many struggle with is you need to be able to speak fluent Dutch and either went through the Dutch education system as a child or have a recognised Diploma from an appropriate education provider. The native language speaker is a common requirement across the EU, so perhaps Ireland may be worth considering.

I hope this helps.


Expat Team