INTERESTING OR SCAREY PHOTOS OF BEASTIES TAKEN IN VIETNAM

Sure there must be some beauties https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXxixmqskv0g80tQnn … A?e=X6P11y

I don't get the point!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXxixmqskv0g80uO6z … Q?e=oSWllP

I don't get the point!
-@qnbui

thats because you are a yank

Beauty and the beast examples in VN? Lots!

Take my lady and I, for instance.

:)

Beauty and the beast examples in VN? Lots!
Take my lady and I, for instance.

smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

1f923.svg1f60e.svg1f60d.svg yes I was thinking some

my first business venture in Vietnam 2008

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXxixmqskv0g80spFP … A?e=rSiuvB

@goodolboy  all my years living in Vietnam I didn't realize pigs enjoy rides in the countryside.

@goodolboy all my years living in Vietnam I didn't realize pigs enjoy rides in the countryside.
-@River Frogs

well Frogs can you see the smile on his face? its because he knows whats coming next or where he has just been........he is a stud boar!!!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmXxixmqskv0g8021Kp … g?e=L9EjTc

........he is a stud boar!!!
-@goodolboy

...and not a bored boar!

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/endan … lraIqNW9F4

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … zMrGmq-3V8

What does scarey mean? Is it like scary, as in frightening or causing fear?

What does scarey mean? Is it like scary, as in frightening or causing fear?
-@Ed Howard Williams

Well, let's see. Yup, apparently so.

;)

https://i.postimg.cc/mgG9jJ5B/20230414-110702.jpg

@goodolboy

Nice! All three.

And good light, at 11:07 AM :)

SCAREY PIC? Take a look.

Got an unexpected new doggy. Actually a very sick, almost dead puppy. Neighbour was going to throw him into the river, but when I noticed it was still moving I couldn't stand by and watch.

Feb 7th, after wash-up, antibacterial eye drops (they were sealed shut, puss), tic infestation removed, and bathed. Still could not stand, or eat. When I say that it was on its way out, I mean it was really on its last leg. Rats had gnawed the pads off of all of its paws. Totally emaciated.

IMG-20230414-195808.jpg

IMG-20230414-195839.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 1st, after 3.5 weeks of syringe feeding (and me wearing its caca and pee-pee), it was starting to look better, but still unable to gather the strength to stand. My female cat bonded to him immediately, thank goodness.

20230219-104326.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apr 1, BIG difference. Looking good! Same cat, same dog.

20230417-074125.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Near tragedy by Apr 6th, contracted the "puppy killer" virus, Parvovirus. After putting so much attention, energy, and time into healing him, I went the full Monty, money wise. Five vet trips + meds + dietary needs, +, +, + came in total to about 5 million. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The vet gave him about a 25% chance of survival.

The results of the efforts? Success!

A very fine looking Phu Quoc puppy with a very pronounced (and valuable) ridge-back coat of fur. Seen here playing with his favourite squeaky toy, rubber chicken (he squeaks it incessantly, drives me crazy but I love him now, so what the heck. Squeak away young pup, squeak away...)

20230417-160110.jpg

His name is Cu (pronounced Koo). Ask a VN what the definition of Cu is :)

I'm quite proud of the results of my efforts, and of my newly acquired shadow. Couldn't shake him from following me, even if I tried.

Thank you Jesus, Allah, Buddha for favours received.

;)

SCAREY PIC? Take a look.
Got an unexpected new doggy. Actually a very sick, almost dead puppy. Neighbour was going to throw him into the river, but when I noticed it was still moving I couldn't stand by and watch.

Feb 7th, after wash-up, antibacterial eye drops (they were sealed shut, puss), tic infestation removed, and bathed. Still could not stand, or eat. When I say that it was on its way out, I mean it was really on its last leg. Rats had gnawed the pads off of all of its paws. Totally emaciated.

IMG-20230414-195808.jpg

IMG-20230414-195839.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 1st, after 3.5 weeks of syringe feeding (and me wearing its caca and pee-pee), it was starting to look better, but still unable to gather the strength to stand. My female cat bonded to him immediately, thank goodness.

20230219-104326.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apr 1, BIG difference. Looking good! Same cat, same dog.

20230417-074125.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Near tragedy by Apr 6th, contracted the "puppy killer" virus, Parvovirus. After putting so much attention, energy, and time into healing him, I went the full Monty, money wise. Five vet trips + meds + dietary needs, +, +, + came in total to about 5 million. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The vet gave him about a 25% chance of survival.

The results of the efforts? Success!

A very fine looking Phu Quoc puppy with a very pronounced (and valuable) ridge-back coat of fur. Seen here playing with his favourite squeaky toy, rubber chicken (he squeaks it incessantly, drives me crazy but I love him now, so what the heck. Squeak away young pup, squeak away...)

20230417-160110.jpg

His name is Cu (pronounced Koo). Ask a VN what the definition of Cu is smile.png

I'm quite proud of the results of my efforts, and of my newly acquired shadow. Couldn't shake him from following me, even if I tried.

Thank you Jesus, Allah, Buddha for favours received.
wink.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

I just read this and then shared it with my wife and we are both quite touched with this story 🤗

she says there are many translations of "Cu", but it may be you're trying to tell people that he is ready for "service"?

😉😁

I just read this and then shared it with my wife and we are both quite touched with this story 🤗

Thank you, OB. I pulled many all-nighters with this guy, especially after the Parvovirus. Vomiting and the "runs" had him in constant danger of becoming dehydrated, so my vigilance was necessary.

she says there are many translations of "Cu", but it may be you're trying to tell people that he is ready for "service"? 😉😁

Not quite ready yet, but I follow what you mean :)

I'm told "cu" (no tones) is analogous to our calling a little boys manhood his "wee-wee", or his "dickey bird", or his "birdie". Though a funny name, I'm also told that it is viewed as being innocent/playful, and not at all risque.

The vet laughed when he asked the pup's name, but insisted on spelling it in the vaccination booklet as "Ku", I think out of a sense of cultural modesty.

Which reminds me. I'll be visiting the vet again tomorrow morning for the second round of vaccine shots and Cu's weigh-in, as well as the "all clear" on the Parvovirus front.

Dong Tao Chicken

"What rare breed of chicken, raised near Hanoi, lives on crickets, has enormous feet, sells for $2,000 each for meat, weighs 6 to 16 pounds, and takes 8 months to 1 year to be ready for market? The Dong Tao “Dragon” Chicken, once bred in Viet Nam only for royalty."

source; Eggs, Height, Size and Raising Tips here

dong-tao-chicken.png

dong-tao-chicken2.png

dong-tao-chicken3.png

@Aidan in HCMC You're a true champion Aidan.

Perhaps CU should be spelled CỨ, meaning Keep. That's probably appropriate in this case. I have had several purebred Ridgebacks over the years, and IMHO, you won't find a more loyal, faithful, protective breed of dog.

@Safepeter

Thank you, Safepeter.

He's already showing bravado, barking to alert us when people approach the house.

The neighbour who gave up on him is, I believe, a little envious now.

The neighbour who gave up on him is, I believe, a little envious now.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Hummmmmmmmm be careful, I had 3 dogs all from puppies when I lived in Trang Bang & all mysteriously disappeared!

Yes, thank you for the reminder. Up north in T.P. Thai Nguyen, in 2 years, I "lost" 6 cats and two dogs. A third dog came back, after going missing for two days, with dart-like injuries to its hind leg (tranquilizer? tazer?). A couple of the cats returned home before disappearing for good, with glue matted into their fur, having escaped a cat-trap.

Brutal reality.

, with glue matted into their fur, having escaped a cat-trap.
Brutal reality.
-@Aidan in HCMC

You ever seen how they catch the small birds like sparrows to then sell for people to then release at the temples??

, with glue matted into their fur, having escaped a cat-trap.
Brutal reality.
-@Aidan in HCMC

You ever seen how they catch the small birds like sparrows to then sell for people to then release at the temples??
-@goodolboy

Oh yes, I've seen it first hand. The birds those guys were catching were definitely for eating, as a lady I knew up there (Thai Nguyen) would purchase them to be cooked and served at her restaurant. Many restaurants in Saigon and Hanoi also serve them.

Scarey pics from the back steps of the house.

You'd think 4 dogs and three cats would be enough for her. Oh no.

So, I've got a new....pet? I am not a fan of these things, at all.

I pleaded, I begged, I even tried to bribe her, all to no avail. She kept feeding it, and so now it feels like it's at home.

Twelve days on now, and no sign of it departing any time soon. I mean, why would it? Three (at least!) squares a day and a tree-top bunk. What more could it want?

It even has a name now, which it responds to. Mai (pronounced, "My"). Actually, I'm told that 90% of the pet monkeys on Phu Quoc Island are named Mai. GF has even started calling the large tree it usually hangs out in (yeah, pun intended) "Mai's tree". OFFS! (incidentally, the base of "Mai's tree" is only ~3 meters from the back steps of the house. sigh)

These are the best pics I could get of it. Whenever it sees me, it heads 'north' up into the tree, stares at me and shakes the branches violently.

(cool hair though)

mai2.jpg

mai3.jpg

Each day it gets braver and bolder, almost to the point where she can hand feed it. I'm petrified that it will get in the house and wreak destruction. GF says not to worry. We have 3 of the neighbours dogs (now adopted?) patrolling the outside of the house 24/7, and a 4th (our dog, Cu) who's inside at night, so no way the monkey will set foot on the ground.

I'm of the opinion that if push came to shove, the monkey would best a dog. It's got a definite advantage. Thumbs. Four of them!

@qnlbi nailed it

Scarey pics from the back steps of the house.
You'd think 4 dogs and three cats would be enough for her. Oh no.
So, I've got a new....pet? I am not a fan of these things, at all.
I pleaded, I begged, I even tried to bribe her, all to no avail. She kept feeding it, and so now it feels like it's at home.
Twelve days on now, and no sign of it departing any time soon. I mean, why would it? Three (at least!) squares a day and a tree-top bunk. What more could it want?

It even has a name now, which it responds to. Mai (pronounced, "My"). Actually, I'm told that 90% of the pet monkeys on Phu Quoc Island are named Mai. GF has even started calling the large tree it usually hangs out in (yeah, pun intended) "Mai's tree". OFFS! (incidentally, the base of "Mai's tree" is only ~3 meters from the back steps of the house. sigh)

These are the best pics I could get of it. Whenever it sees me, it heads 'north' up into the tree, stares at me and shakes the branches violently.

(cool hair though)
mai2.jpgmai3.jpg

Each day it gets braver and bolder, almost to the point where she can hand feed it. I'm petrified that it will get in the house and wreak destruction. GF says not to worry. We have 3 of the neighbours dogs (now adopted?) patrolling the outside of the house 24/7, and a 4th (our dog, Cu) who's inside at night, so no way the monkey will set foot on the ground.

I'm of the opinion that if push came to shove, the monkey would best a dog. It's got a definite advantage. Thumbs. Four of them!
    Nice one

-@Aidan in HCMC

https://dongthap24h.net/ly-ky-dan-ran-h … 8JikVvdQtM

the dates were delicious but not what was at the bottom of the packet

https://i.postimg.cc/h4NDbt4k/dates.png

More scarey pics from my ever expanding menagerie! (4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 monkey)

My male dog's adopted mother (see post#18, above), our female cat, recently gave birth to two adorable male kittens. The four get along famously, thank goodness. Not wanting any more pets, it was decided that we would have her spayed.

I dropped her at the vet's office in the morning, and was told to come back in 3 days, post-op.

The vet sent us pics later in the day. I thought he was sending them to show that she was well.

Nope! Turns out he sent them asproof of service.

I had no idea that this is standard in Vietnam!

GAK! Wasn't expecting these. Ovaries and fallopian tubes removed and on full display!

eprica-op.jpg

eprica-op2.jpg

I was shocked.

More scarey pics from my ever expanding menagerie! (4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 monkey)
My male dog's adopted mother (see post#18, above), our female cat, recently gave birth to two adorable male kittens. The four get along famously, thank goodness. Not wanting any more pets, it was decided that we would have her spayed.

I dropped her at the vet's office in the morning, and was told to come back in 3 days, post-op.

The vet sent us pics later in the day. I thought he was sending them to show that she was well.
Nope! Turns out he sent them asproof of service.
I had no idea that this is standard in Vietnam!

GAK! Wasn't expecting these. Ovaries and fallopian tubes removed and on full display!

eprica-op.jpgeprica-op2.jpg

I was shocked.

-@Aidan in HCMC

OFFS..................are they edible?

@goodolboy

Fried up with some onions, maybe?

Another day in paradise...serpent included.

In a pot, at about shoulder height, tonight. When visiting or living in Vietnam, you really have to watch your step, and where you might want to lay your hands.

Dispatched by my fearless defender (a.k.a. girlfriend), tout de suite.

(right-click image, then open in new tab to enlarge)

snake-oct-23-2023-1.jpg

snake-oct-23-2023-2.jpg

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as "snake season", but a local clinic here in Duong Dong, Phu Quoc, in the past two weeks saved two victims of snake bite by administering anti-venom serum.

If bitten by a snake, the first hour after is the critical time frame to get an anti-venom shot. The chances of survival decrease exponentially with time passed beyond that first hour. Remain calm, and limit physical movement to decrease blood circulation. Get yourself to a clinic/hospital, pronto.

Another day in paradise...serpent included.
In a pot, at about shoulder height, tonight. When visiting or living in Vietnam, you really have to watch your step, and where you might want to lay your hands.
Dispatched by my fearless defender (a.k.a. girlfriend), tout de suite.
(right-click image, then open in new tab to enlarge)
snake-oct-23-2023-1.jpgsnake-oct-23-2023-2.jpg
I'm not sure if there's such a thing as "snake season", but a local clinic here in Duong Dong, Phu Quoc, in the past two weeks saved two victims of snake bite by administering anti-venom serum.
If bitten by a snake, the first hour after is the critical time frame to get an anti-venom shot. The chances of survival decrease exponentially with time passed beyond that first hour. Remain calm, and limit physical movement to decrease blood circulation. Get yourself to a clinic/hospital, pronto.

-@Aidan in HCMC

one for the pot?

z4822395513735f3f0adbbd19da7b3-4156-2647-1698402039.jpg?w=680&h=408&q=100&dpr=1&fit=crop&s=Y1vZJ_ZsNV36t8O_m_MrbQ

Phu Quoc resort spider sends man to clinic

(Link VN Express full article)

snippets from article:

"An electrician at a resort on the island of Phu Quoc was bitten by a tarantula-like spider, causing severe swelling to his arm and pain throughout the body."

"...said the spider that bit the man was the largest he had ever seen. Its body was covered with hair, and its species has yet to be identified."

"Hien said spider venom can sting like a bee and that people should take caution when going out during the rainy season, wearing protective gear like boots to prevent snakes, spiders and insects from biting."

(you're telling me!)

A not so atypical scene from Vietnam.

Not sure whether this qualifies as either Interesting or Scarey. I'd certainly describe it as disturbing.

Such beautiful creatures, I've always considered them a gift given to mankind.

img_0585.jpg?w=840&ssl=1

When I see restaurants with a sign stating "Thịt Chó" (there are many), I'll think of this pic.

A not so atypical scene from Vietnam.
Not sure whether this qualifies as either Interesting or Scarey. I'd certainly describe it as disturbing.
Such beautiful creatures, I've always considered them a gift given to mankind.

img_0585.jpg?w=840&ssl=1

When I see restaurants with a sign stating "Thịt Chó" (there are many), I'll think of this pic.

-@Aidan in HCMC

hard to see