City similar to Balneario Camburio or Florianapolis?!

I've been searching for a good city in Brazil (or elsewhere) that is warmer year-round. I like Floripa and BC; however, it gets a little chilly and grey in July & August. I've been to Cartagena, Medellin, Lima, Buenos Aires, Mar de Plata, etc. While all have their charm, I'm not a major fan. I wish I could find a BC or Medellin-type vibe near the ocean in Central or South America. Acapulco, Mexico is just too much of a risk at this point since I love cycling and will frequently ride 20-30 miles outside the city. I can deal with some heat, but Costa Rica coastline seems hot and undeveloped. Any recommendations? Anyone been to Arica or Iquique, Chilie? What's a good city in norther Brazil - I surf so please don't say Recife if the shark situation is still an issue lmao.

I've been searching for a good city in Brazil (or elsewhere) that is warmer year-round. I like Floripa and BC; however, it gets a little chilly and grey in July & August. I've been to Cartagena, Medellin, Lima, Buenos Aires, Mar de Plata, etc. While all have their charm, I'm not a major fan. I wish I could find a BC or Medellin-type vibe near the ocean in Central or South America. Acapulco, Mexico is just too much of a risk at this point since I love cycling and will frequently ride 20-30 miles outside the city. I can deal with some heat, but Costa Rica coastline seems hot and undeveloped. Any recommendations? Anyone been to Arica or Iquique, Chilie? What's a good city in norther Brazil - I surf so please don't say Recife if the shark situation is still an issue lmao.
[email protected]

Arica is Northern Chile, Andean city, mining town.   It is close to the Atacama Desert.   Nice place, but not sure if this is your cup of tea.

Warmer year round.  All Brazilian Cities, some colder than others.  Rule of thumb, anything South of Sao Paulo has cold winters.  Still, not dismissive of others. 

Surfing....  Sao Paulo's Ubatuba and Caraguatatuba shorelines.  You are not getting your Pacific rush of tidal waves, thought. but you can roll your board and get some action.   Rio's Beaches, outside the city, towards Barra da Tijuca might to the trick too.  Rio's kind of perilous, take your poison.   Lots of Surfers by Arpoador's beach.   

The ocean side of Ilhabela ( not the Channel side facing Sao Sebastiao, the opposite facing the Atlantic  ) could be an option.  I have not been there for ages, so can't vouch.  A lot of coastal towns dotting  alongside the  Rio Santos road might suit you as well.   

One thing about Sao Paulo's North Shore that will help you is that you can drive quickly through the Mountain Range to get a hold of a decent Health Care facility, whether it is Taubate or Sao Jose dos Campos, through the Salesopolis' Road, which by the way is a quaint little town.   

Salesopolis

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales%C3%B3polis

Ubatuba- Coastal

Ubatuba; Surfer's gravitate around this town for the choices of beaches you can surf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubatuba

Praia de Itamambuca, Ubatuba ( a favorite amongst surfers, sanctioned competitions are held there )

Praia do Félix, Ubatuba - For experienced surfers

Praia Grande, Ubatuba

Praia Vermelha, South and North. You can catch tubes here.

Praia das Toninhas.

Caraguatatuba

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caraguatatuba

Guarujá; too much petty crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaruj%C3%A1

Praia de São Pedro, Guarujá

Praia de Tijucopava, Guarujá

Riviera de São Lourenço; They ruined with gated condos

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riviera_d … ren%C3%A7o

Riviera de São Lourenço, Bertioga

São Sebastião; Nice, but became a enclave to the wannabe wealthy.

Praia de Maresias, São Sebastião

Praia de Camburi, São Sebastião

Praia da Baleia, São Sebastião

Ilhabela; São Sebastião's twin, but the opposite side might be a possibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilhabela

This is a good place for suba dives rather than for surfers IMHO

Paraty; Good only if you care about artisans.

Angra dos Reis.Surfing, not sure. Sea has a strong pull. Surfing near a Nuke Power Plant.

São José dos Campos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_ … dos_Campos

Taubaté

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taubat%C3%A9

01/23/23 @D.A.B1333.  Welcome!  Check out Vitória, Espírito Santo, or any city along the Espírito Santo coast.  ES is my favorite state in the Southeast of Brazil - largely undiscovered and unspoiled, but within easy reach of the big centers.  I think you'll like the climate and the vibe. The cost of living is ok, the people (called "Capixabas") are friendly, and the cuisine is excellent, especially if you like seafood.

01/23/23 @D.A.B1333. Welcome! Check out Vitória, Espírito Santo, or any city along the Espírito Santo coast. ES is my favorite state in the Southeast of Brazil - largely undiscovered and unspoiled, but within easy reach of the big centers. I think you'll like the climate and the vibe. The cost of living is ok, the people (called "Capixabas") are friendly, and the cuisine is excellent, especially if you like seafood.
-@abthree

Good point, but not necessarily on Vitoria ( it's a Trading Port City ). 

Around  the State's shoreline.....

Jacaraípe, Serra  - Good for beginers. Most State sectional competitions are held here. 

Know beach spots for surfing...

Ponta do Cação, Ponta da Baleia, Barrote, Pico do Amigão, Solemar, Coral do Chá.

Carapebus, Serra

Stronger breaking points, for experienced surfers.

Prainha de Carapebus , Praia Mole.

Barra da Sahy, Aracruz

Summer favorite.

Lots of cliffs, highly recommended to highly experienced surfers

Barra do Riacho, Aracruz

Fisherman's Village. 

Portocel is the most sought after by Surfers.

Praia da Curva, Boca do Rio, Sunset, Baixa

Povoação, Linhares

Fisherman's Village. 

Tubes unravel quickly and heavily.  For experienced surfers.

Pontal do Ipiranga, Linhares

All  surfing levels.

Form tubes, they crash quickly.

Environmental sanctuary, turtles nest here.

Regência, Linhares

aka Capixaba Hawaii

Draws competitions

Place for Artisans too.

wide and tube waves

Lots of local cultural traditions ( Feasts, Musical Brass Bands )

Fishing enclave

All of the aforementioned spots are way way north of Vitoria.  Vitoria is the State Capital and a main trading port.  You want to crash wave, just follow my guide.

As for sharks., do your own homework. Surfers talk to surfers about these details. 

And while moving, get yourself a decent VW Van ( aka Kombi ), as you will need one. 

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Kombi

Around R$ 50,000 tops you can can score a decent one. 

Now, why I mentioned Salesopolis.

It's a small town, half way from the State North Shore coastline ( Ubatuba, Garaguatabuba, Bertioga, Angra dos Reis ), and all of the health care infra-structure that at the very least, Sao Jose dos Campos or Taubate can provide. 

Now, going to these places out on the boondocks means you are to deal with simple minded country bumpkins,

and there is nothing wrong with that..  You will not be parlaying with  characters out of William Faulkner or Tennesee Williams plot. Gotta turn down the IQ a notch.

Sao Jose, Aparecida, Taubate, Guaratingueta, Lorena, are places out on Vale to Paraiba, or Paraiba Valley, along the route between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. 

The SP-Rio routes are either Dutra Highway, or Rio-Santos Road. Back on my days as a kid, the Rio Santos road was not paved, and you could literally take a dip naked on the beach. I doubt you can do it nowadays. Way too many cash generating montruosities dotting the coast line. 

Salesopolis to Caraguataba, by the Tamoios Highway, takes 1-1/2 hour driving. 

As for getting alongside with surfboard in tow, your options are.....

1-Kombi or VW wagon - roughly R$ 50,000 for a 1.4 four banger with not a whole lot of pep or torque.  Also, those things are the proverbial

"coffin on wheels".  Not a whole lot between your knees and front bumper, and the Center of Gravity on those boxes on wheels is high, which makes the whole vehicle prone to rollovers.  Got to drive those with excess caution. 

2.Small 4 cylinder pickups:  VW Saveiro, Ford courier, Ford Pampa, Chevy Montana.

3.Station Wagons ... A Ford Belina II ( lackluster on power, and yet no one will try to lift it ) or even a Chevrolet Caravan might do the trick ( either the 2.5 I-4 or the 4.3 I-6 ). Caravans are the best. They ar pre Fuel Injection, have loads of power, and resell better for tunners and drag racers. Rolling on a Caravan or Opala gives you credibility cread. You are da man!

4.If you have the $ to spend, then a Toyota Bandeirante. Either the Jeep or the Pickup Truck. Those things are unbreakable. They are mostly fitted with the Mercedes Benz Diesel powerplant.

Ilhabela Beaches

Castelhanos Beach

Quick to crash waves, raising tyo 2-7 feet, Eastside with better swells, protected by South Winds

Praia do Tombo, Guarujá

Tubes, strong tides, never goes flat. 

Praia de Pitangueiras, Guarujá

Monguagá, Píer

it's borderline South Shore.

High crashiing waves.

There is a Pier out there with about 350 yards out.

Praia da Fazenda, Ubatuba

"The Guardian" elected it as one of the most breathtaking beaches in Brazil.

You can also settle in Santos, and head out to surf along the coast, unless, there is you need to be on the board at all times. 

Thing is, coastal town's rents surge during the high season. 

@abthree Great insight! Thank you. Just hopped on Google and Google Earth - definitely a viable candidate for me.

@sprealestatebroker Love it! I really appreciate your insight. I've got some homework to do now.

@abthree Hey! Spent 4+ weeks in Vitoria and had an amazing time. There is a pretty fitness oriented culture with good gyms, the city wasn't overwhelming with traffic or potential crime, prices were similar to Southern Brazil and Rio (a little cheaper), there weren't a ton of gringos, and the people are very nice. The only thing lacking is a more energetic, but higher-end nightlife scene (restaurants, lounges, or clubs). Also, a Mexican restaurant! LMAO There's only one legit place. The seafood (badejo) and poke bowls made up for it though. We stayed in a nice, but smaller AirBNB in Vila Velha and the rent was roughly $1700 or $1800 per month - perfect.

We want to visit Joao Pessoa, Pipa Beach, Natal, and Forteleza. Thoughts or recommendations on any places north of Recife?

@D.A.B1333 My suggestions:

1/ Avoid Recife, obviously!

2/ Ilha de Itamaracá is good for kite surfing, not surfing, but not for fancy restaurants, nightlife, etc

3/ Pipa is good for surfing, lots of good restaurants and nightlife - you can also swim with dolphins in the sea there

4/ São Miguel do Gostoso (drive as far north on the BR101, turn left just before the end) is great (12 years ago it was dead, but quite lively now)

5/ Ceara coast is very windy but has lots of places

6/ Fernando de Noronho 100% is a must visit place for you

See also here: https://nomadsurfers.com/surfing-in-nor … -brazil-2/

06/12/23 @D.A.B1333. Glad that you enjoyed Vitória! I think that you'll find everything you're looking for in Fortaleza: great beaches, seafood almost as good as Vitória's, nice vibe, and the fifth largest city in Brazil should be able to provide enough nightlife to keep you well-entertained. Except good Mexican restaurants -- there's a permanent, nationwide shortage, I'm afraid, and I don't see it improving anytime soon. 😂

We're headed for Aracaju in early July and I'll report back.

@abthree Hey! Spent 4+ weeks in Vitoria and had an amazing time. There is a pretty fitness oriented culture with good gyms, the city wasn't overwhelming with traffic or potential crime, prices were similar to Southern Brazil and Rio (a little cheaper), there weren't a ton of gringos, and the people are very nice. The only thing lacking is a more energetic, but higher-end nightlife scene (restaurants, lounges, or clubs). Also, a Mexican restaurant! LMAO There's only one legit place. The seafood (badejo) and poke bowls made up for it though. We stayed in a nice, but smaller AirBNB in Vila Velha and the rent was roughly $1700 or $1800 per month - perfect.
We want to visit Joao Pessoa, Pipa Beach, Natal, and Forteleza. Thoughts or recommendations on any places north of Recife?
[email protected]

Sharks dude.  If you are surfing, you are dodging sharks on the Northeast Sun Coast. It's a given.

Sharks dude. If you are surfing, you are dodging sharks on the Northeast Sun Coast. It's a given.
-@sprealestatebroker

That is a bit of a generalisation! I agree with you about the coast off Recife, but there are quite specific local reasons of this, including the dredging that occured to create to port of Suape.

But there are literally hundreds of surf locations in the NE that have never seen a shark!