Obtaining Kasse when moving from Croatia

Hello all,

I am trying to assist my neighbors, who moved here from Croatia last year. The husband has worked here i Germany for many years, but his contract is actually with a Croatian company, and he gets insurance deducted from his pay towards the Croatian system. (If i understand correctly). The wife and children moved here last year, permanently.

I did a little searching and it looks like they would need to get an S1 from somewhere in Croatia and take that to the German amt for Kasse? (Sorry i am here under US SOFA so don't deal with Kasse or German insurance at all). It is not clear to me (or them) where they go to get this S1.

There is a huge language barrier as neither speaks much German (she speaks fairly decent English). I've taken them to help with school registration, but don't have a lot of time to run around helping them and we are in rural Bavaria where many Angestellte (and even the director of the local language school!) don't speak English. My German is very good but limited when it comes to more complex subjects.

Is this something our local Rathaus would help with?

Can anyone offer insight?

They were

by Siemens to get private insurance but they really can't afford the €200/mo that requires and it seems silly if they are paying into the Croatian system that they can't benefit from that.

Edit: wife just told me that Croatia cancelled their insurance a few months after moving here last year and they are (according to some new Cristian law) not allowed to use the supplemental card  any longer.

I guess an additional question: can the wife apply for Arbeitsgeld if she has never had a job before and her husband has a job? She's looking for one... but needs to be home for kids in the afternoon. She says they are to get Kindergeld soon.

Thanks!

If a family has relocated to Germany then of course they need to eventually have German insurance rather than Croatian. And 200 euros/month is not a lot. Half of thier total cost for health insurance should be paid by the employer regardless. Best to stick to proper English and say health insurance rather then improperly using German terms like "Kasse". Health insurance is Krankenkasse. The word Kasse has lots of meanings. And even EU citizens cannot just show up in Germany and start getting social assistance. They have to have lived and worked here some years already. Kindergeld should not be a problem though.

A Croatian living and working in Germany has to abide by German health and social insurance rules, regardless of the contract he has. If the employer has no German presence (business registered in Germany, which can employ him), he will be classified as self-employed, which means things can get very complicated and costly - impossible to manage the formalities without near-fluent German (or engaging professional service providers, at a fee).

They should - no must! - immediately apply for membership at a German health insurance (preferably in the public scheme first - and if rejected, they must join the private scheme instead). They will likely be charged retroactively for the time since they entered Germany, so delaying it would not help.

As far as I know, there is no unemployment benefits for new arrivals - and definitely not if she needs to stay at home, as unrestricted availability for the labour market is a precondition for payments.

A Croatian living and working in Germany has to abide by German health and social insurance rules, regardless of the contract he has. If the employer has no German presence (business registered in Germany, which can employ him), he will be classified as self-employed, which means things can get very complicated and costly - impossible to manage the formalities without near-fluent German (or engaging professional service providers, at a fee).

Not true. Please don't post misinformation.

It is possible to legally second a worker on a temporary basis (it is called Entsendung in German).

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/h … dex_de.htm

It is possible to legally second a worker on a temporary basis (it is called Entsendung in German).

-@Sunshine03

Please post English links

@texasgirl3

If you really want to help your neighbours, you need to get them advice from someone who is very well versed in EU laws.

https://www.faire-mobilitaet.de/beratungsstellen

-@Sunshine03

Once again false accusations from this posterSunshine03.

Unfortunately his link is provided in German although a English version is available: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/h … dex_en.htm

It clearly disproves his own claims whichever language one reads. The original poster states that the friend has worked in Germany for years for a Croatian company. The link provided states that there is a situation called Ensendung which allows a company in an EU country to send a worker to another EU country to do a job. Some conditions can remain like in the original country - if the work is for a contracted limited time and the company previously registers the situation. For longer term, then all local work rules apply and after 24 max. months the worker has to pay into the local social security system.

Thus Beppi's claims are correct. That there can be a short term exception simply doesn't fit to the actual stated situation. Taking things out of context is the real misinformation here.

Can we please stay focussed here on providing factual information regarding the OP's question?

Anything else can easily be misinterpreted and cause emotional reactions, which are unwarranted in this case and on a forum like this.

I take it that my original reply still applies (probably, as we don't know the exact details of the OP's case). Sunshine03 added that there are exemptions in certain circumstances - and that advice from professionals is better than from an Internet forum alone. Both is correct and welcome.

But words like "misinformation" and similar should not be used, unless there are clear signs of purposely misleading posts. I see no such signs here!

Hello and hope you're well.

As mentioned in beppi's last post, please stay focussed on the request of @texasgirl3

If there are again outbursts, we will be obliged to close this discussion and thus not to have replied to a member of the forum.

Have a nice day,

Mickae

Team Expat.com