Hiking / Camping?

Was wondering if anybody could speak to the availability of hiking and tent styled camping areas? I've semi google searched it but not really coming up with anything specific that says if there's areas that are open to dispersed tent camping, registration, ect... Is my searching just off or are there not really a number of areas that allow this?

Thanks ~

WNL

@Wanderer_Not_Lost

I don't know all areas. But I saw Jaguar Reserve Area have camping area. Never done it, but you can call them to check.

@Wanderer_Not_Lost

Also, there are several great trails hike to the water falls with great views.

@CocoHer

Yea, been spending quite a bit of time on the assorted sites but anything that really calls out specific dispersed camping ( like here in the states on federal lands for the most part is available )  I'm not seeing out that way.

Will continue to check. Thanks ~

@CocoHer
Yea, been spending quite a bit of time on the assorted sites but anything that really calls out specific dispersed camping ( like here in the states on federal lands for the most part is available ) I'm not seeing out that way.

Will continue to check. Thanks ~
-@Wanderer_Not_Lost

I had to look up your term "dispersed camping", but I'm still not sure what it really means.

I haven't been camping in about 50 years so assume it is a recent American term.

Remember Belize is a former British colony. The terminology here on many things is often very different than in the states.  Perhaps if you describe exactly what facilities or features you are looking for it would help. 😁

@Aerodex

Great point, I didn't even think of that. 🤦

Dispersed camping really is camping in areas that are not setup for site specific locations. There are campgrounds that have stalls per say, but dispersed is just where you happen to find a small patch of level ground where you can put up a tent and stay for a bit.

Locally we have governmental lands that allow just this, as long as you follow the rules, ie: not overstaying what is usually 14 days, taking care of waste, etc. that's showed and leads to the ability to really explore.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll see if I can't edit my search query for better results.

you need to be careful of the fer de lance if you intend to camp in the bush

Get hammocks with insect screens. US Army surplus is a great source. Though I can't say it with authority, I believe you can camp most anywhere not private land as long as you follow fire advisories, register with reserve agents. Here in Belize rivers are considered public lands and a 66' shoreline easement exists for public access. It is common for those on an extended float trip to find a suitable shoreline spot and setup camp.