Swimming to the reef to snorkle ?? Would I tire and drown first?

I am wondering if the reef is close to shore in places that one could swim to it with snorkle and flippers and not be tired out. When in Cancun the locals showed me a spot where the reef was 6 feet from the shore , they also told me to take a loaf of bread to break up and feed the fish. Wow! I had fish up to a foot long churning up the waters all around me eating the bread peices I broke up. It was fantastik. I now have an underwater camera and am much older now and would like to spend time laying on a beach with a good novel to read then cool off in the waters ,but would love to be near a reef , Also I dont intend to stay in any top rated hotel, a rented room will do just fine ,I also have an inflatable kayak if I need to paddle a ways to get to the reef. I'd rather be near one by the shore , Any part of Belize is OK with me.
Thanks

xcaret wrote:

I am wondering if the reef is close to shore in places that one could swim to it with snorkle and flippers and not be tired out. When in Cancun the locals showed me a spot where the reef was 6 feet from the shore , they also told me to take a loaf of bread to break up and feed the fish. Wow! I had fish up to a foot long churning up the waters all around me eating the bread peices I broke up. It was fantastik. I now have an underwater camera and am much older now and would like to spend time laying on a beach with a good novel to read then cool off in the waters ,but would love to be near a reef , Also I dont intend to stay in any top rated hotel, a rented room will do just fine ,I also have an inflatable kayak if I need to paddle a ways to get to the reef. I'd rather be near one by the shore , Any part of Belize is OK with me.
Thanks

You will need to be on one of the cayes to be close enough to swim or kayak to the reef.  Ambergris Caye is closest to the reef in Belize.  Still, it is a long swim from most places the island.  A kayak is a much better choice, and there are a few mooring balls near the reef in northern Ambergris.  If you go all the way up near Tranquility Bay (about 9 miles north of the bridge), the reef is right offshore, and you can easily swim right up to it.

This map might clarify where the reef is in reference to various parts of Belize:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt … Ag&dur=512

(I hope that long link will work!)

Thank you very much..

tobbaco caye is right on the reef,you can snorkel all around the the island wich is only about 5 acres.several small places to stay that are very cheap.you must take a boat from dangriga or belize city and I think that it was about 35$ u.s. you can google tabacco caye and find out alot more info

Thanks I'll google it right now.

xcaret wrote:

Thanks I'll google it right now.

Just make sure you spell it right -- Tobacco Caye.  :D

It will probably come up in the search results even with an incorrect spelling. Google is intuitive / intelligent. I would hardly find anything if it were not!