American living in the UK for more than 6 months?

Hi all - my husband and I were hoping to relocate to London for just one year.  He is finally retiring, and we plan on traveling Europe, but we want to base in London since we used to live there when he was in the Navy.  I return to London every summer for two months to visit friends and live life as a Londoner.  I am looking for advice on ways to stay longer than the six months allowed on a tourist visa.  We have UK ancestry, but this is only for citizens of commonwealth countries.  The retirement visa was abandoned as of Nov. 2022.  We have substantial income through retirement and military pension; thus, we will not be working, although I can do my freelance editing there. The purpose of staying in London is to home base there and travel throughout the UK and Europe.  If anyone has any ideas, information, or helpful tips to navigate this move, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am willing to discuss this with an immigration lawyer if need be.   Thanks for any advice.

Hi all - my husband and I were hoping to relocate to London for just one year. He is finally retiring, and we plan on traveling Europe, but we want to base in London since we used to live there when he was in the Navy. I return to London every summer for two months to visit friends and live life as a Londoner. I am looking for advice on ways to stay longer than the six months allowed on a tourist visa. We have UK ancestry, but this is only for citizens of commonwealth countries. The retirement visa was abandoned as of Nov. 2022. We have substantial income through retirement and military pension; thus, we will not be working, although I can do my freelance editing there. The purpose of staying in London is to home base there and travel throughout the UK and Europe. If anyone has any ideas, information, or helpful tips to navigate this move, I would greatly appreciate it. I am willing to discuss this with an immigration lawyer if need be.  Thanks for any advice.
-@karenkstuart

Have a read of this https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/extend-your-stay

@SimCityAT

Thanks - since I am an American - I can stay up to 6 mths.  Most of those who need to extend their stay are non-EU citizens who need visas to enter the UK.  I am looking to stay in order to travel but no live for more than one year.  Everything I have read is in regards to students, medical needs, or work related. 

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

We've had this question asked frequently.  In the circumstances you have described, no, you will not get a visa to extend longer than 6 months in the UK.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team