New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and ready to throw caution to the wind and relocate to Mexico.

My friend and I are not quite sure where to start.

No job, no idea. Any suggestions?

Hello dionetta,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Will that be your first time in Mexico?

You did well by posting your message here because on this forum you will be able to gather a lot of information.

I suggest you start by reading the Living in Mexico guide for expats.

You will find articles on Visas,Work ,Accommodation in Mexico etc

After reading, if you want to discuss a specific topic, feel free to start a new thread on the Mexico forum to ask your questions.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl thank you! I'm getting started with the information you provided, as we speak.

Hi, I'm Marine, living in Mexico, Playa del Carmen since 3 years now. I***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please don't promote your services on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Marine,

Welcome on board !

You are most welcome to register your services in the Mexico business directory, however any kind of self promotion is not allowed on the forum.

All the best

Bhavna

Visiting SMA soon to consider relocation there. Have many questions re: health care and senior communities and services, which I will explore on my visit and through this forum.

@Julien hi all. I am married with a 20 year old son. My husband is self employed and can work anywhere in the world as long as they have an internet connection. We are looking at coming over to Mexico on an extended holiday with our son and dog. Want to see the sites, get a feel a feel for the culture with a hope to settle there. Need advice on visa and requirements from the UK to do that. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Hi everyone! I'm new here, although I've been an expat for many years. My family and I are planning on moving to Spain from Mexico, and I'm looking for a remote position that I can start here and continue after the move.

I'm a software developer specializing in Web application development in Java and PHP.

Thanks for any help or tips!

Hello Alejandro,

Welcome to expat.com!

You can start by reading the Living in Mexico guide for expats where you find all the information you need to relocate and live in Mexico.

You can then try submitting your CV in the Jobs in Mexico section.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi every one!

I am a veteran electrician from China, want to go Mexico not for money but like there. Who like to help me?

Hello lushidong4343,

Welcome to expat.com!

What will be the purpose of your visit to Mexico then?

Do check the Living in Mexico guide for expats for additional information regarding visas in Mexico.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Where in Colima, Colima can I find a buyer for used (second-hand) kitchen appliances?

I have been to the Colima section of expat.com and there is very little current usage.

Do you know of a net location to get this answer?  Thanks.

@Yoginee Hi Yoginee,

Thanks to your reply to me. My purpose to visit Mexico is what I hope to appreciate there the picturesque scenery of Mexico and want to stay there for a while.

Kind regards

Shidong

Hi all

My name is John and i went to Mexico last year (Mexico City, Guadalajara and Puerto Escondido). I am seriously considering moving to Mexico City but i dont know the best way to start. I am from London and will need to get a job and rent.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

All newcomers are advised to read the Living in Mexico guide for expats.

Then, if you have any questions about a topic you would like to discuss, please feel free to start a new thread in the Mexico forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl sorry, yes i should have done that first, thanks!

My name is Gary I live in Brazil. We enjoy going to Mexico and staying up to 5 to 6 months. Now they have changed the rules for Brazilian for tourists visa. I am US citizen there are no charges. So this is my solution maybe we could become residents of Mexico. Thank for any help

@lushidong4343

Hello, My  wife is from China, many years ago, but speaks Cantonese and Mandarin and of course a few other dialects.

I could get her to speak with you, but we are new here as well, only here since Oct 22.

CDMX has a large Chinese population as well as other cities, like Queretaro.

She might be able to put you in touch with other Chinese in the city you are interested in? Maybe WeChat.

Hello everyone

My name is Peter masai, a Kenya national willing to relocate to Mexico city,am new in this platform.ill appreciate your acceptance and welcome in the group.thank you.

Hello!

just a quick introduction. My husband and I moved to Mexico 5+ years ago to live more simply and enjoy the people and culture we love. I speak Spanish — and am learning more every day — which has helped dramatically.

We made a decision in Dec 2017 and in January 2018 started our new life here. We became permanent residents almost immediately so we could work without work visas, get bank accounts here, and buy car. We had no idea what we were doing, so we made many mistakes. Nevertheless, we are quite happy with our lives here, teaching English as it suits us (we are certified), and trying to settle into a happy retirement.

Alas, as a result of the pandemic, so many processes both here and in the US have become overbearingly complicated and we now find ourselves feeling “stateless.” Banking has become a horror and once simple tasks like renewing our US driver's licenses have become near impossible. No longer owning property in the US leaves us without proof of residence, despite having a mailing address, bank accounts, doctors, Medicare, etc., and paying taxes there.

On the flip side, we have made many friends and have a nice, small but comfortable home here. We are in the process of resolving the various issues we are having. I would love to hear if others are also experiencing similar problems and how you are resolving them.

All the best,

Donna

@Julien

my name is Jean. I am a retired writer, living off grid on the far edge of Tucson, Arizona. I love my home in the natural desert, but it takes a lot of work to keep everything functioning, and I'm also getting fed up with American politics, and thinking of leaving the country and finding a simpler easier life for my old age.

I am 71 now, and have always been in excellent health until I got Lyme disease nine years ago. I am finally on a healing protocol, feeling much stronger again, and looking forward to having a more active life once more. It could be that I will feel like staying here when my health improves, but Mexico is calling….

My ideal place to live will be somewhere near a surf city, because that will attract my son to come visit more often! But I would like to be on the edge of a city or nearby, so that I might avoid the noise and hubbub. I'd also like to stay north of Puerto Vallarta, out of the earthquakes, and closer to the US, making it more likely my daughter will visit, and it will be easier for me to visit her and my old communities of friends if that ever feels important.

I don't imagine it would be possible to find an off grid community in Mexico, but if one exists, I'd like to know.

Hello everyone @ Peter, @Donna@Jean,

Welcome on board and thank you so much for sharing your introduction with us. It really helps us and members to know more about you, your aspirations and how we can help.

For newcomers, I would suggest that you go through the Living in Mexico guide for expats to gather as much information as possible about formalities, accommodation etc.

To seek advice and interact with members, I would invite you to open your own topic on the Mexico forum.

All the best

Bhavna

I'd also like to stay north of Puerto Vallarta, out of the earthquakes, and closer to the US, making it more likely my daughter will visit...
I don't imagine it would be possible to find an off grid community in Mexico, but if one exists, I'd like to know.

Dear Jean, we usually reserve this thread

for self-introductions only.  Except, in your

case, there needs to be a reality check.

As you know, there are some evil and violent

cartels, etc. in Mexico.  So Expat arrivals need

to be smart about where they choose to live.

You would be well advised to avoid

any off-grid community in Mexico in order

to avoid becomiing a target.

If your children discover you are living in a

lawless, remote area, they will be

less likely, not more likely, to visit you.

Off-grid in Mexico is not a smart choice

for a Gringa on her own.

cccmedia, member, Expat.com experts team

@Julien

Hi Julien. I just joined Expat.com.

Totally new to all of this. I am interested in retiring in Mexico in the next year or two.

As suggested by others, it's a good idea to make an exploratory visit prior to any permanent move. Therefore...

For instance, if I want to check out Guanajuato, what is the best way to make contact with fellow expats?

Any professional advice, ideas would be most welcome, appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your help, integrity and professionalism. I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm, welcome on board !

Thank you for your introduction !

I would suggest that you open your own topic on the Mexico forum whilst posting your questions so that members can

1) Take note of your request

2) Interact with you by sharing their feedback

For a good start, you may also read the articles of the Living in Mexico guide for expats to gather a much information as possible.

N.B Julien is the founder of the website and this is his general welcome post. He is not based in Mexico

All the very best

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna!

Thanks ever so much for your kind reply and encouragement. Most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Malcolm

@Julien Hi everyone

My name is Romeo Serban, born and raised in Romania, However my last 22 years of life I leved in BC Canada. We moved here a year and a half ago, and we call Merida our home. We got two kids 15 and 20, Our daughter will go to study art in the fall at Calgary Universcity, our son will be grade 9 soon here at IBERO. Life is good, and even the heat is not much of a bother if you have a pool and the beer is cold. I buy, renovate and sell houses.

I hope that helps

Regards Romeo

Hello and welcome on board Romeo !

Thank you for taking the time to share a few words with us.

If you need any infos, feel free to ask.

All the very best

Bhavna

I have a couple of vehicles to sell. I bought them brand new, mint condition, one has 25.000km the other 16.000. I also have a very nice atv with less than 500 km. All these expats websites forbid advertise. I understand if there is a big company and take too much space but private sells, I would say it would benefit everyone. In my humble opinion. Can I list on your page?

Regards Romeo

P.S. I wish I found vehicles like mine when I got here, but unfortunately it was Mexican private market which is ....the way that it is or new. No other choice

@romeoserban Sure you can post your adverts in the Mexico classifieds even upload pictures if you have.

Regards

Thank you very much

@Bhavna I thied posting. It tells me that is a technical problem. I don't know what to do? I filled all mandatory fields.

@romeoserban Hello sorry about that. I will enquire and get back to you.

Regards

Bhavna

Good morning ,

My name is Ulrke and I am a nurse in CA.   I will be 58 years old and plan to retire early in SMA within the next 2 years.   I have been there several times and will come in December to look at homes.

@Ulrike Lang Welcome on board !

Hope you are successful in finding the right property for you.

Feel free to participate on the San Miguel de Allende forum to interact with members.

All the best

Bhavna

@Julien  Hola from the southwestern part of the state of Guanajuato.  There are not many expats near where we live, but I have run into a few when shopping in Irapauto.  We travel fairly often and are particularly interested in learning more about the tradition of enjoying fine tequilas and mezcal.  I will reach out for assistance in establishing and promoting our new business when we implement our business plan.  Our goal is to help everyone associated with growing agave, distilling it and selling byproducts throughout the Americas and possibly beyond to live a better life.  We will share our ideas (not producing or selling spirits) in the coming months.

@jeffklenovic

Hello and welcome on board !

Thank you for your introduction.

However please note that the forum section should not be used to promote any kind of business or products. So, feel free to share your experience dealing with formalities, visas, culture shock etc with members.

Should you want to promote your business in a near future on our website, please reach out to the advertising department : https://www.expat.com/en/advertisement.html

All the best

Bhavna

Hi Everyone,

My name is Yan, and I just got the temporary residency visa to Mexico. I plan to work remotely while enjoying the sunshine and weather 1f601.svg1f601.svg

Currently I am going through pages for the canje process.

@will2km

Hello and welcome on board !

Feel free to start your own thread on the Mexico forum should you have any questions.

All the very best

Bhavna

Closed