Hungarian Citizenship Authentication

Hello, I applied for Hungarian Citizenship Authentication from Germany, I'm originally from the United Kingdom, England. 1f600.svg

My grandfather, originally from Hungary, Budapest was captured and taken to a concentration camp somewhere in Austria. When he was finally liberated, he had a broken arm and the doctors from the US stated that he would probably only have around 3-4 years left of his life due to severe malnourishment.

I found documents from the US Zone - Salzburg where US forces picked him up from.

The next document was from northern Germany, (British Zone) he once told me he saw advertisement signs saying “come and help rebuild Britain.”

A journey and opportunity he ended up taking - the year was 1948 when he found his way to the UK.

He married my grandmother, (British Citizen)

He naturalised as a British citizen in 1955, but didn't claim/get his British passport until 1993.

I submitted all of the documents at the Hungarian Konsulat in Germany - old marriage certificates and Birth certificates - his original Hungarian Birth Certificate from Budapest listing the names of both of his parents, their birth and death certificates etc.

5 months in, I haven't heard anything back regarding my case - I understand the process can take a long time, which is also fine. My question is; are there any professionals that can explain the loss of Hungarian Citizenship, ideally specifically to this case. His Hungarian birth certificate was issued in the Hungarian Konsulat in London and the stamp is marked 1993.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. 1f601.svg

@Ben Robinson For some reason my response was disabled. I try again.

@Ben Robinson Hope you got my suggestion

@Ben Robinson If I would be in your position, I'd personally call to inquire about my submitted documents. Hope you sent them certified mail. That way you can track it down.

@rb421

Hey thank you for the response, the authorities dealing with the case will apparently contact the Konsulate where I applied in Germany to pass over updates from what I was told.

From what I know a person can not lose their Hungarian citizenship unless they request it.

My husband is a dual citizen and so is our son. (US/HU)

I don't think your grandfather becoming a dual citizen should have anything against your claim for HU citizenship through him.

Unless the UK has rules on dual citizenship. IDK what their policy is.

Our son was excepted through his father with us using the Hungarian embassy in Ca.

It was rather easy,over 25 years ago.

Our son was even given a HU passport with his other papers because we requested it and included passport photos with all the paperwork.

Can't remember how long the process was.

Perhaps if you or someone else speaks Hungarian and call them up the process will go faster?

It sounds like it should be a done deal for you.

My grandmother was born in Austria /Hungary in 1902, my father was born in the same area but HU lost the land where they lived after the first WW.

If your grandfather was born in former HU lands that may be slowing down the paperwork? But Budapest was where he was born .

My father was born in 1921 in what was taken over by Poland so I doubt any claim I ever wished to make would be hard to prove.

Best of luck I'm sure it will go through.

I jsut remmbered something else:

A couple years ago we went into the city hall in Budapest to request the forms for me to become a HU citizen through marriage.

I never bothered to file the papers but at the time when we sat with the clerk and she explained the process to us she said it could take abut one year. She said the president of Hungary approves every case themselves. Hope that helps at bit, they are just slow.

@Marilyn Tassy Nice response! I personally speak fluent Hungarian but I doubt I am allowed to offer my help him through this platform because of the rules.

@Marilyn Tassy

Thank you for the response Marilyn.

unfortunately there are some cases where in the past Hungarian citizens could be deprived of their citizenship, under current law it's not possible.

I have done research, my Hungarian grandfather swore his oath of allegiance to become a British citizen in 1955, my mother was born in 1960 and I was born in 1991.

Dual citizenship was allowed in the UK in 1948 when my grandfather immigrated, however in Hungary back then Dual citizenship was banned although I am unsure of how they would have known about his new citizenship.

With Hungarian citizenship Authentication, apparently there are many things that can go wrong. If my grandfather lost his citizenship, then my mother never had it during the time she was born. If my mother never had it, then she never passed it on to me. Meaning I never had it.

Really do hope this goes well for you.

I just decided not to press it for myself.

I'm 68 and really don't need it unless they change the rules later and it messes up my resident permit and i need to become a citizen of HU.

I was afraid when we applied for our son that my husband leaving HU as he did in 1971 would mess things up. It didn't.

My husband also had to swear allegiance to the US when he took the citizenship oath.

I find it weird that those born in a country never have to tke an oath but those who immigratge have to.

The only time I know of having to take an oath is if yu join the military or get a high security job.

I'd say to either ring them up and see if they can give you some answers or let you know how your paperwork is going or just wait it out a bit longer.

My son has a Japanese wife. In the US she lived and was married to him long enough to become a US citizen. He was all paid up with all sorts of fees and all his paperwork was in order. She was suppose to take the US citizenship test and oath but after a long 9 10 month of waiting for the date they just moved to Japan.

If they ever return to the US I suppose she would have to start from zero again.

Yes, starting sometime in the late '30s Hungarians were automatically deprived of their citizenship if they became citizens of another country. I believe, but am not sure, that their minor children also lost Hungarian citizenship in this case.

In any event, this law was revoked at some point after WWIi, but I don't know the precise year.