Expat to be...

Hello everyone,

My name is Erick. I've been to the Philippines 3x

My last visit was when covid hit (March 2021.

I was stuck there for 5 months in Samar. No domestic flights to  Manila

I'm very new to the Expat topic. I'm considering moving to the Phillipines.

I have no idea where to start.

Thank you everyone!

@erick1dh

you need a plan.

you need to have a timeline of what will happen and approximately when you hope it will happen.

i suggest you have enough saved for a return trip if things don't go the way you planned by this date. plan a daily/montly budget for your expenses.

assess your skills, and what you intend to do to survive on a daily basis. build your network of contacts on platforms like LinkedIn and FB (and here too, of course!)

if you come here solely on the allure from your past experience here,  there is a good chance you're going to be disappointed and will feel miserable with your endeavor over time.

@erick1dh  An absolute advantage to your future plan is that everyone speaks English from security guard to labor worker. 

All cost comparison excludes Japan, Singapore, Korea, HK: Costs are much higher in Manila metro, rent is more expensive in heavy tourist-cities like Baguio.  Intercity bus tickets tend to me more expensive relative other countries in the region.   Filipino foods are more limited.

Overall:  people are non-confrontational, polite, and non-judgemental (at least not outwardly).  People work hard when they have jobs.  Customer service sometimes lacks the emphasis on customers.

I have been to different islands.  Anywhere is nice and pleasant, although I live with my family in a house in Baguio.

Foreign tourists are less prominent than Thailand, Cambodia, or Viet Nam.  Specialty tourism (e.g. scuba diving) tends to draw people to different spots throughout Philippines.

Work in country:  I have no knowledge.

Things to know:  just be patient as this is not your country

Wish you a great experience.

Paul

@kristopherryanwatson

I think my 1st reply to you went Poof! It's gone.

I thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!

I've been to the Philippines 3x and have a good support system there. I'm quite close to one family in particular. I've been on Facebook long enough to filter out the scammers, etc.. So I'm secure knowing my support there isn't looking for a handout.

I have a very rough outline and a time frame for goals. Yes, a return ticket is a major thing, I would also keep al my belongings in storage here. I'm aware how horrid the heat van be. Electric and internet signal is also of concern. What to bring and how to get it there..;.

The deal breaker for me is to continue to receive my Social Security abroad. I've read it can be done but I may need court permission. I have no idea. So, as you say, I need a plan. I have too many unsures.. I'll certainly take advantage of the many resources here.

Is anyone aware of the proceedures for a 6 month Visa?

Again, thank you so much for your reply!