Rent a flat or a house in Kolkata

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Kolkata. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Kolkata.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Kolkata?

How to find a home in Kolkata: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

finding a house on rent is not a tough ask ... there are many web portals from where u can get the info namely
magicbricks.com
99acres.com
olx.in
and many others ...
generally cost of living is not very high and u can easily get a 2bhk house around 6-7k ....and the food is very economical as compared to other indian cities ..
i have lived there for 2 years ....the people are warming....
if u need more info just be in touch

Hi ogreblood!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Hi guys!

I will live at Kolkata between September '11 and June '12 for an internship.
who want to share a flat ?

Robin

Hello Robin and welcome to Expat.com!

You should post an advert in Kolkata classifieds > flat share section.

Thank you,
Harmonie.

hi evry1
i agree wth ogreblood.realestate's simplified hr cmpared 2 othr indian cities. besides web portals, local newspapers r also f gr8 hlp.

Q.Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Kolkata?

A. Yes if this is your first time and you do not have any local help. You will find a lot of brokers who will help you in this process (Generally brokers charge commission upto 1 month). Alternatively you can save some money by putting some extra leg work by finding "Owner" posted properties in various popular real estate websites such as Housing.com (One of the best for Owner posted properties); Magicbricks.com; 99acres.com; makaan.com; Sulekha Properties; Quickr; Olx [Do Note: You will come across a lot of brokers here also, so search for Owner listed properties]

Q.How to find a home in Kolkata: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

A. Already answered above.

Q.How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

A. Totally depends on the type of locality you want to stay in. If you are on a very tight budget e.g. $100-$200 you can look up spaces in Tollygunge, Garia, Central, Howrah, Behala, Parnashree. I would highly recommend to stay in the heart of the city and the best expat friendly locality such as Ballygunge, Park Street, Camac Street, Maidan, Alipore, Elgin Road; the rentals here would be comparatively high but here also you will get a mixed bag of options ranging from budget to premium homes. Also there are a lot of Paying Guests (PGs) options too but I would not recommend it for expats if they are not up for a super indulging with Indian students. But PGs are a great option if you are alone and want to make good friends with local knowledge very quickly.

Q.What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

A.Not much for Indians, but for expats, Your Passport, VISA, letter of employment (If employed), if studying then university documents, local references (if any) (many a times you would not require anything except a Passport and Visa as the landlords do not know proper documentation)

Q.Which advice would you give?

A. If you have a friend here do not hesitate to ask for help. Friendly locals are your best buddies to get you started. However if you don't have friends make use of forums like this to connect and find more. Internet is the best place to start your research. Its better to educate yourself beforehand about the geography. If you have the means then I would highly recommend to stay in places where you find more expats. Communicating in English is not a problem in the city as such. You can get in touch with me if you want to know more, would be glad to help.

renting flat is easy now days just through the real estate advertisement site & fix up the visit

as a tenant you have to pay current month rent in advance & 2 months security deposit which is refundable when you leave the premises .