Visas To Enter Vietnam

@Aidan in HCMC I applied for one. They refused to give it to me and kept my 60 USD.

They don't bother to answer emails and they don't care if the phone rings. The never answer anything.

Frustrating.

@Aidan in HCMC What do you do with Immigration when they took your 60 USD and never gave you a visa nor retrurned the money?

I am travelling to VN in 2 weeks. I am lucky enough to have a VISA exemption certificate, however a friend is travelling with me and she can only get an evisa. I used a company in HCMC that took care of everything including a run to Cambodia for a second 30 day evisa. Very easy and affordable. No hassles yet. I will see how it goes at the border.

@Aidan in HCMC What do you do with Immigration when they took your 60 USD and never gave you a visa nor retrurned the money?
-@MartinLe

Did you apply through the only official Vietnam eVisa Gov't site, or did you use an agency?

At "...60 USD...", I suspect you used an agency. What happened with the 23 million VND action you mentioned earlier?

Maybe he used the site which use govt.vn domain, its scammer site, not real one.

Maybe he used the site which use govt.vn domain, its scammer site, not real one.
-@narcrepellant2525

My thoughts precisely, nacrepellant.

All official VN gov't websites I have seen have the suffix .gov.vn(DOTgovDOTvn)

There so, so many sites holding themselves out as an "Official VN Immigration" website, it's not surprising that some people fall victim to their tactics.

We see things like immigrationgov.vn , vietnamevisa.govt.vn , vietnam_evisa_gov.vn etc etc etc, none of which are gov't websites.

I am travelling to VN in 2 weeks. I am lucky enough to have a VISA exemption certificate, however a friend is travelling with me and she can only get an evisa. I used a company in HCMC that took care of everything including a run to Cambodia for a second 30 day evisa. Very easy and affordable. No hassles yet. I will see how it goes at the border.
-@rnkinthekeys

Hi rnkinthekeys, and welcome to expat.com.

Good to hear all went smoothly for your friend. May I ask what the cost was for the agents services, in total? Please do not mention the agents name.

It is important to stress to our members and casual readers of the forum that very few visa agents, in my experience, are disreputable. Many current, long-time members of expat.com use agents and have given favourable reports. Here as an example, a long-time member goodolboy swears by them (as opposed to swearing at them :) )

Again rnkinthekeys, welcome aboard, and please do not hesitate to post further comments, ask questions, or open a new topic for discussion.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have a very long name and so the first page of my Canadian passport has shortened one of my middle names (missing a few letters) and I  have a second page with the full spelling of all the names. When I applied for my Vietnamese E-visa they stated to write the name as written on the first page. I did and was approved with no concerns.

Now here's me over thinking - my airline ticket has my full name as stated on the second page of my passport. My e-visa has the full name with one name spelled as is on the 1st page (missing a few letters if compared with my flight ticket). Wondering if I'll encounter any issues at the check in counter here in Canada or in Korea during my layover?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how fussy they are in Canada and Korea but I can tell you it may very well be a problem when you get to Vietnam.

I had an issue when starting up my Social Security Checks a while back. The name on my Social Security card was (changed now) spelled out using just my middle initial so the checks were issued using the middle initial. But in my passport the full middle name was spelled out. The bank here in VN would not cash the check without the full middle name spelled out, as it appears in the passport. I had to appear in person at the US Embassy over in the Philippines and have the name changed on my Social Security card so it read exactly the same as my passport and the checks could then be issued using my full middle name.       

@drutter Thank you. I guess I may have to pay $25 and get two visas so I have one as a back up?

@drutter Thank you. I guess I may have to pay $25 and get two visas so I have one as a back up?
-@yashyanthi

my gut tells me you shouldn't do that.

I seem to recall there is a place on the evisa application for additional comments, but I might be wrong about that.

instead of spending the money for an additional Visa that will probably only confuse the situation, it might be a good idea to engage the services of a reputable Visa agent.

-@yashyanthi

Not wise to get 2 visas for one person as that might be considered fraudulent activity.

Hello Yashyanthi, and welcome to expat.com.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have a very long name and so the first page of my Canadian passport has shortened one of my middle names (missing a few letters) and I have a second page with the full spelling of all the names.

Is this in your Canadian passport? I'm curious as to where the second page you mentioned is.

When I applied for my Vietnamese E-visa they stated to write the name as written on the first page.

On the eVisa application they ask for...

Personal Information(PNR)

Full name (First name Middle name Last name) *

(Use international character as in ICAO line) (link)

...with the sample pic showing the full name as it appears on the passport

I did and was approved with no concerns.

Good stuff! Congratulations!

Now here's me over thinking - my airline ticket has my full name as stated on the second page of my passport.

Is your name on a second page of your passport due to it being so long? I'm looking at my CDN passport, and it has no other page(s) with my name (other than my signature on the page preceding the info/pic page). If so, and if this is an official CDN gov't addition to your passport due to your name's length, then I sincerely doubt that this will be the first time VN immigration has come across this situation with peoples names. I think your were correct in spelling your name as it appears on the info page, hence your application being approved.

My e-visa has the full name with one name spelled as is on the 1st page (missing a few letters if compared with my flight ticket).

Good, as it should.

Wondering if I'll encounter any issues at the check in counter here in Canada or in Korea during my layover?

I sincerely doubt you will have any issue entering VN with your eVisa and your passport info page matching each other. In fact, I believe they must match.

Now, as to the airlines, I wouldn't even dare to guess. Airlines operate with "an abundance of caution" when it comes to potential liability for the cost of bringing you home, so...

I suggest you follow OceanBeach92107's advice and seek the opinion of an agent, or perhaps better still, speak directly with the airline(s) customer service reps.

If you do decide to reapply, I wouldn't be too concerned about how that might be viewed, as the eVisa Faq page states...

V. Entry & exit with an e-Visa

5. What if I want to enter Vietnam before my e-Visa validity period?

You must completea new e-Visa application. The previous e-Visa application will be cancelled once the new e-Visa is issued./. (link)

(albeit this is in a case where the date has changed, which may/may not be applicable to your reapplication)

That being said, I would be surprised if a reapplication with your full name not matching the passport's info page would be approved.

When you have time please let us know how things worked out. We would certainly appreciate it, and your feedback/tips/observations will help others.

my gut tells me you shouldn't do that.

Totally agree.

I seem to recall there is a place on the evisa application for additional comments, but I might be wrong about that. -@OceanBeach92107

Unfortunately, no. Only additional input details are for

Inviting/ guarentering (sic) agency/ organization (if any)...

and

Under 14 years old accompanying child(ren) (sic) included in your passport (if any)

Probably a good thing for eVisa applicants, otherwise that 3-day turnaround from receipt of the application to immigration's decision might become an impossible task.

@Aidan in HCMC my husband and kids don't have the sticker on that second page of our CDN passport but I do. It is the official way I guess for those of us with long names. It's an embossed official sticker with the full name.

I did reach out to some recommended visa consultants but received conflictinng info with one saying not much can be done and the other saying they can make a new one with the name as spelled on the second page.

I also reached out to Air Canada's Twitter team who said "Hello, kindly be advised a middle name is not a requirement on air tickets. We are confident  that there will be no issues to board your flight as long as your last name and first name appears on your ticket the same way as it shows on your travel documents"         

.........................................  but we all know how gate agents can be!

Called Asiana . The agent I spoke with said she doesn't anticipate an issue but it will depend a lot on person checking us in but hopefully no issues and to just mention that the visa process was the way it was.

Will keep you posted after I travel later this week. Fingers crossed.

@Aidan in HCMC my husband and kids don't have the sticker on that second page of our CDN passport but I do. It is the official way I guess for those of us with long names. It's an embossed official sticker with the full name.
I did reach out to some recommended visa consultants but received conflictinng info with one saying not much can be done and the other saying they can make a new one with the name as spelled on the second page.

I also reached out to Air Canada's Twitter team who said "Hello, kindly be advised a middle name is not a requirement on air tickets. We are confident that there will be no issues to board your flight as long as your last name and first name appears on your ticket the same way as it shows on your travel documents"     
......................................... but we all know how gate agents can be!

Called Asiana . The agent I spoke with said she doesn't anticipate an issue but it will depend a lot on person checking us in but hopefully no issues and to just mention that the visa process was the way it was.

Will keep you posted after I travel later this week. Fingers crossed.
-@yashyanthi

I think you should have smooth sailing, especially with the Gov't of Canada's official page showing your full name.

Is there a title for that page?

So I traveled without any issues. They looked at the visa in Toronto and didn't even blink. They only checked passport in Seoul during the layover connection. When I landed in HCMC and did immigration, they didn't ask any questions.

Smooth sailing. Glad I didn't re-apply!

If this helps anyone I wrote about our visa application process along with our budget for the 1 week we were there scoping things out. parentingtogo.ca/7-day-vietnam-itinerary/

How long you dudes used same profile picture for evisa application. In my boundless stupidity I  submitted profile pic which I already used 3x , which is apready older than 6 months. Should I submit another evisa application?

How long you dudes used same profile picture for evisa application. In my boundless stupidity I submitted profile pic which I already used 3x , which is apready older than 6 months. Should I submit another evisa application?
-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.

Has your application been rejected? If so, did VN immigration state why?

If not yet rejected, I suggest you hang tight and wait.

If already rejected, could you visit the same shop in D1 (in post #67)?

How long you dudes used same profile picture for evisa application. In my boundless stupidity I submitted profile pic which I already used 3x , which is apready older than 6 months. Should I submit another evisa application?
-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.
-@Aidan in HCMC

I am now on e visa #7 next one will be #8 & my agent uses the same photo she took & saved for the first application & never had a problem.

-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.
-@Aidan in HCMC
I am now on e visa #7 next one will be #8 & my agent uses the same photo she took & saved for the first application & never had a problem.
-@goodolboy

My friend visiting from Canada is now on eVisa #13.

He got a new passport, due to an oversight regarding entry stamp, back in December, and has been using the same pic I cropped for him from his pp info page since then.

-@narcrepellant2525

You really should be fine.

Biggest problems with photos is when people attempt to copy their passport photo and not take a new separate photo.

I just assisted a Australian couple (new neighbors) the other day, who had tried to submit their passport photos along with the photo of the passport 4 times, and were rejected every time.

We took smartphone photos and ran them through the US State Department passport agency free online passport photo cropping tool (link) and both of their applications were then immediately accepted.

@OceanBeach92107

I think it's okay if your passport had been issued within the past 6 months :)

After that, not so much okay

@OceanBeach92107
I think it's okay if your passport had been issued within the past 6 months smile.png
After that, not so much okay
-@Aidan in HCMC

Good point 😌👍

-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.
-@Aidan in HCMC
-@goodolboy

My friend visiting from Canada is now on eVisa #13.
He got a new passport, due to an oversight regarding entry stamp, back in December, and has been using the same pic I cropped for him from his pp info page since then.
-@Aidan in HCMC

So much for the scaremongering on here from certain members about 8 or 9 e visas & your out for a year then!! Of course that little pearl of wisdom  came from a friend of a friend of a friend who got it from a lady down the street market so it must have been true at the time, unless of course the members who posted it get their rocks off doing wind up's that is!!1f60e.svg

@yashyanthi

Good to hear. I paid 60 US online. They refused my visa and did not return my money.

That after 12 reminder mails. Rotten service if yo ask me.

@MartinLe

I think we had already established that you did not pay any monies to VN immigration.

You paid $60 to an agent, and then you wanted the embassy in your country to refund you the money which you did not pay to them. Correct?

I'm sorry that you fell victim to an agent's scam. If it's any consolation, you are not alone but you have no claim against VN immigration.

@Aidan in HCMC

This was an online transaction to  [email protected]

Official web site.

@Aidan in HCMC
This was an online transaction to [email protected]
Official web site.
-@MartinLe

That is not a website address. That is an email address.

I have absolutely no doubt that this is where you have been sending your email(s).

Further, it is impossible to pay "$60 US" on the actual official VN immigration site, here

(click "FOR FOREIGNERS" to enter and start the application).

@Aidan in HCMC
Official web site.
-@MartinLe

I have absolutely no doubt that this is where you have been sending your email(s).

Further, it is impossible to pay "$60 US" on the actual official VN immigration site, here
-@Aidan in HCMC

I was preparing to write a similar reply, but It "appears" that the domain name for that email address is legitimate...

https://immigration.gov.vn/

screenshot_20230603_032438_chrome.jpg

Either that, or it's an excellent spoof...

@Aidan in HCMC
Official web site.
-@MartinLe

-@Aidan in HCMC

I was preparing to write a similar reply, but It "appears" that the domain name for that email address is legitimate...

-@OceanBeach92107

The email is certainly legitimate, hence my writing,

I suspect it was found post-payment by the member after not receiving the eVisa from his agent. See here for an official page showing this email address.

Then there is also the impossibility of paying any more, or any less, than the $25 US at the official gov't eVisa site. That tacked on $35 extra charge is not possible to do when using the official portal.

There are many, many sites which look remarkably like the official eVisa application page(s).

I'm still curious as to exactly what type of visa MartinLe was trying to purchase for 23 million VND.

@OceanBeach92107

Correct. I paid here.

I think it is legit.

@Aidan in HCMC
Official web site.
-@MartinLe

-@Aidan in HCMC

He was scammed

@Aidan in HCMC
Official web site.
-@MartinLe

-@Aidan in HCMC

-@OceanBeach92107

The email is certainly legitimate, hence my writing,

I suspect it was found post-payment by the member after not receiving the eVisa from his agent. See here for an official page showing this email address.

Then there is also the impossibility of paying any more, or any less, than the $25 US at the official gov't eVisa site. That tacked on $35 extra charge is not possible to do when using the official portal.

There are many, many sites which look remarkably like the official eVisa application page(s).

I'm still curious as to exactly what type of visa MartinLe was trying to purchase for 23 million VND.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Aidan, but as far as I am aware the official site does not reply to phone calls or emails. Did that changed recently?

-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.
-@Aidan in HCMC

I got visa in email for less than 2 days, everything went fine as ya guys predicted. Just to make you aware I was using same proile picture before around 9 months after submitted it for the first time. Got rejected 2x with some cryptic misc reason and after I made new picture 3rd time and submitted  I was good to go.

-@narcrepellant2525

Hi narcrepellant2525.
-@Aidan in HCMC
I got visa in email for less than 2 days, everything went fine as ya guys predicted. Just to make you aware I was using same proile picture before around 9 months after submitted it for the first time. Got rejected 2x with some cryptic misc reason and after I made new picture 3rd time and submitted I was good to go.
-@narcrepellant2525

Shaved your noggin' ? :)

Aidan, but as far as I am aware the official site does not reply to phone calls or emails. Did that changed recently?
-@narcrepellant2525

Sadly, no reports of change.

It's as though their email forwards to "ctrl-alt-del@????.vn".

No it is cat email.txt > /dev/null hihi

-@narcrepellant2525

Sadly, no reports of change.
It's as though their email forwards to "ctrl-alt-del@????.vn".
-@Aidan in HCMC

So since regular site never reply emails!, answer calls -  how come that our fellow forum member got reply through that media? Just wondering