Visas To Enter Vietnam

@shantrischool

Welcome to expat.com, shantrischool, and thank you for your post!

The issue of volunteering in VN has been a topic of discussion on this forum many times.

I believe the process in acquiring a DN1 Volunteer Visa is even a bit more complicated than the Working Visa, in that the Volunteer Visa requires not only the approval of VN immigration, but also of the local community authority in the area/region where the volunteering will be offered.

I could be wrong on this, and if so I am open to being corrected.

Thank you again for your post, and once more, welcome to expat.com

@shantrischool
Welcome to expat.com, shantrischool, and thank you for your post!

The issue of volunteering in VN has been a topic of discussion on this forum many times.
I believe the process in acquiring a DN1 Volunteer Visa is even a bit more complicated than the Working Visa, in that the Volunteer Visa requires not only the approval of VN immigration, but also of the local community authority in the area/region where the volunteering will be offered.
I could be wrong on this, and if so I am open to being corrected.

Thank you again for your post, and once more, welcome to expat.com
-@Aidan in HCMC

I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

Unfortunately, there are at least two "companies" I know of currently (one in Quy Nhơn/one in Hội An) which are insisting on face.book that their offers of free housing in exchange for volunteer teaching (without certification or government approval) are totally legal.

They are clearly targeting nomad tourists limited to eVisas

Vietnam e-visa – 7 things you should know

What is Vietnam e-visa?

Who is eligible for an e-visa to Vietnam?

What are Vietnam E-visa entry points? (air, land, and sea)

Vietnam e-visa requirements.

How to get Vietnam e-visa.

Vietnam E-visa Fees & Processing time.

Vietnam e-visa validity.

How to get Vietnam e-visa

1.    Preparation to get Vietnam e-visa

2.    Applying

2.1. Filling out the online form

2.2. Paying the e-visa fee

2.3. Processing the application

2.4. Receiving Vietnam e-visa

How to get Vietnam e-visa
1.  Preparation to get Vietnam e-visa

2.  Applying
   2.1. Filling out the online form
   2.2. Paying the e-visa fee
   2.3. Processing the application
   2.4. Receiving Vietnam e-visa
-@Aidan in HCMC

Or as an alternative.....

1... contact visa agent either on line or in person at office.

2 ...send/take photo of passport & passport size photo

3 ...give agent all required details.

4 ...send/hand over cash incl agent fee.

5 ...relax, sit back, drink some beer carry on with daily life without worrying (& looking at the constant repetitive posts on here about the subject this might be the best rout for some)

6 ...go get/or print off e visa within 3 working days, job done!, drink more beer!

Or as an alternative.....
1... contact visa agent either on line or in person at office.
2 ...send/take photo of passport & passport size photo
3 ...give agent all required details.
4 ...send/hand over cash incl agent fee.
5 ...relax, sit back, drink some beer carry on with daily life without worrying (& looking at the constant repetitive posts on here about the subject this might be the best rout for some)
6 ...go get/or print off e visa within 3 working days, job done!, drink more beer!
-@goodolboy

Agreed. Using an agent is convenient (inexpensive, even!), but some people prefer to roll their own.

Should you or any other members choose the latter, the "...constant repetitive posts on here..." can help guide you through the process. For most people, almost painlessly.

Should you decide to d.i.y. an eVisa application and find that you need assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Lots of friendly folk here at expat.com

I've been using the official (?) "National Web Portal on Immigration" site - https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/khai- … uc-dien-tuTry this link instead:https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US … uc-dien-tuhttps://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tuI "think" the problem may be that the website is reading you as being inside vietnam. The payment system is set up for people being outside Vietnam. Technically the eVisa system is not set up for people to apply from within and pay from within Vietnam. Although VPNs are technically illegal in Vietnam, it might be necessary for someone applying from within Vietnam to use a VPN to indicate their location is outside Vietnam.Anyone outside Vietnam using a VPN to show their location as Vietnam could be misdirecting the system.If you are using a link obtained from someone who was using a VPN, that might account for the constant misdirection to VietcomBankThese are admittedly guesses, but the fact that you are using a different link from the one I get says that maybe that's the problem.-@OceanBeach92107How do we apply and pay  for new E-visa when we are  already in the country in order to complete visa-run?

@OceanBeach92107 You confused me totally with your writings about VPN, evisa system which onky accepts payments from outside - did you ordered your evisa while istaying in Vietnam?

For example: My legal stay on 30 days evisa is limited to 15 december of this year. Can I apply for new evisa with same date for entry - 15  december? (Visa run from HCMC to Cambodia and back)

@OceanBeach92107  - did you ordered your evisa while istaying in Vietnam?

Yes, I did.

I was probably using my VPN, but I'm not saying that's necessary.

I was clearly speculating in my previous comment, attempting to brainstorm regarding the problem the poster was having.

My legal stay on 30 days evisa is limited to 15 december of this year. Can I apply for new evisa with same date for entry - 15 december? (Visa run from HCMC to Cambodia and back)
-@narcrepellant2525

Yes.

You can exit and reenter on the same day.

Thank you sir :-)

I've been using the official (?) "National Web Portal on Immigration" site - https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/khai- … uc-dien-tuTry this link instead:https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US … uc-dien-tuhttps://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tuI "think" the problem may be that the website is reading you as being inside vietnam. The payment system is set up for people being outside Vietnam. Technically the eVisa system is not set up for people to apply from within and pay from within Vietnam. Although VPNs are technically illegal in Vietnam, it might be necessary for someone applying from within Vietnam to use a VPN to indicate their location is outside Vietnam.Anyone outside Vietnam using a VPN to show their location as Vietnam could be misdirecting the system.If you are using a link obtained from someone who was using a VPN, that might account for the constant misdirection to VietcomBankThese are admittedly guesses, but the fact that you are using a different link from the one I get says that maybe that's the problem.-@OceanBeach92107How do we apply and pay for new E-visa when we are already in the country in order to complete visa-run?
-@narcrepellant2525

When I applied for my previous evisas I was in Vietnam. I paid with my USA debit card without any problems. I did not use a VPN. All received in 3 working days.

Immigration office delayed my e-visa application due to incorrect passport photo, which I used 2x to get VN evisa already. Any tip to solve this issue? I wrote them email, but no reply..

@OceanBeach92107 ... She, apparently needs an Authorization letter and "agencies" ask us around $500 for a tour, letter and visa... A Scam...
-@Claudio34

Answered in your cross post:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1009701#5554159

I have an interesting problem. The Captcha on the visa application form doesn't work -- it shows a broken page and the words "Text to Identify" instead of an image. Cycling it does not fix the problem. I've gone completely out and back in again several times, but the problem persists. I can't finish the application without completing the captcha, so I'm stuck. Is there another site to go to? This site is "evisa xuatnhapcanh gov vn web guest khai-thi" etc.(periods and slashes removed).

I have an interesting problem. The Captcha on the visa application form doesn't work -- it shows a broken page and the words "Text to Identify" instead of an image. Cycling it does not fix the problem. I've gone completely out and back in again several times, but the problem persists. I can't finish the application without completing the captcha, so I'm stuck. Is there another site to go to? This site is "evisa xuatnhapcanh gov vn web guest khai-thi" etc.(periods and slashes removed).
-@paulmsn

A similar problem was reported by another member (can't quite recall the details), but a suggestion by Pogiwayne to switch/change browsers fixed it.

Also, might you be running an ad-blocking app? Perhaps your pop-ups are disabled?

Please let us know if that works, Paulmsn, or whether you need additional help.

@Aidan in HCMC -- Yeah, I just figured out that that was the problem. I checked the visa status page and the captcha on that page was broken, too, so I figured the problem was not at the site. I tried another browser and it worked fine. Thanks.

Odd, though, that the same browser on the same computer had no problem the last two times.  They must have changed something.  Or maybe Microsoft did.

Immigration office delayed my e-visa application due to incorrect passport photo, which I used 2x to get VN evisa already. Any tip to solve this issue? I wrote them email, but no reply..
-@narcrepellant2525

I'm sorry to hear that, narcrepellant. Very frustrating, but not unheard of.

See here for an example.

Please let us know how you navigate this.

I wrote them email, but no reply..

I wrote elsewhere that I have yet to hear from anybody who has received a reply to an email sent to VN Immigration (and I doubt I will).

@Aidan in HCMC -- Yeah, I just figured out that that was the problem. I checked the visa status page and the captcha on that page was broken, too, so I figured the problem was not at the site. I tried another browser and it worked fine. Thanks.
Odd, though, that the same browser on the same computer had no problem the last two times. They must have changed something. Or maybe Microsoft did.
-@paulmsn

And a big Thank You for letting us know that changing browsers fixed it!

Yes, VN Immigration updated their eVisa application page(s). When you apply, take note of the default end date for the eVisa. It now defaults to 29 days. You can advance the date by 1 day by clicking on the "Valid: To" date at the bottom right of the form. Should you try to advance the date beyond 30 days, it will display a message directly below your selected "To" date stating that eVisas are valid only for 30 days (Not verbatim, I'm paraphrasing).

Happy to hear it worked out for you.

Few things I observed about visa runs through Moc Bai (MB):

Have previous, and new visa printout with you (bw is ok, no need for color) VN border guard will ask for it.

When Cambodians give you paper to fill for tourist visa application, ask additional one and fill it too, you will give this to passport check too, otherwise border guard will ask for this one  and yougonna return back to the box with officials on left side.

If the border guards are cool and in good mood, they will accept visa on smartphone. Do not count of this. Prepare yourself properly for visa border run please. I saw one American visa runner showing visa on smartphone, it worked with Cambodian and worked with Vietnamese because probably he talked to his gf and was in goodmood.

When everything is done and you go to coffe shop on VN side to buy beer or coke (Coke is 19.000) ,

Do not hand the sucker 50.000 or more he will pretend that this is the price,

hand him 20.000 dongs - take it or leave it baby.

Anybody else can chime in with their observations about visa run to MB.

Have pen with you in any case. ;-)

Forgot to add that you do not need passport pictures for visa application to apply for Cambodian visa on arrival. Some old yt videos mention this, nobody asked us for that.

...And a big Thank You for letting us know that changing browsers fixed it!...

I am in Vietnam and just applied for a second visa starting in early January.  This time I was able to complete the application using my normal browser, so I guess they fixed the problem.  I''l be going to Singapore for about five days in the beginning of January, and then back to Vietnam until 01 February.

Few things I observe

When everything is done and you go to coffe shop on VN side to buy beer or coke (Coke is 19.000) ,
Do not hand the sucker 50.000 or more he will pretend that this is the price,
hand him 20.000 dongs - take it or leave it baby.

Anybody else can chime in with their observations about visa run to MB.

Have pen with you in any case. ;-)
-@narcrepellant2525

An important question, i guess and i hope someone can provide details on it : what other documents you had with you doing the border run? I refer to covid vaccination, the registration on the vietnam's medical database for covid vaccinations (it started in 2020, it has a qr code on that government app) and health insurance for both borders. Did any of the officers at both borders ask for those documents? i read various forums and i cannot find a definitive answer. Thanks

@Filot

Cambodia required vaccination document........

My experience.............I left Vietnam on 30th Oct on the last day of my expiring TRC & entered Cambodia via Moc Bai on a Cambodian e visa. I returned to Vietnam 2 days later via Moc Bai on my new 30 days Vietnamese e visa & not once was I asked for any vaccine details by showing the App or paper copy either side of the border.

@Filot
Cambodia required vaccination document........
-@pogiwayne

That was true in the past.

As of October 3, 2022 there are no longer any COVID restrictions for entering Cambodia from Vietnam (link to Cambodia forum update)

As goodolboy has mentioned, Cambodia officials are no longer requesting vaccination documentation.

My experience.............I left Vietnam on 30th Oct on the last day of my expiring TRC & entered Cambodia via Moc Bai on a Cambodian e visa. I returned to Vietnam 2 days later via Moc Bai on my new 30 days Vietnamese e visa & not once was I asked for any vaccine details by showing the App or paper copy either side of the border.
-@goodolboy

thanks for your reply. What about health insurance? Some reported you must show a health insurance receipt, covid coverage of at least 10k usd, at vietnam border (i guess it depends on officer's mood)

-@goodolboy
thanks for your reply. What about health insurance? Some reported you must show a health insurance receipt, covid coverage of at least 10k usd, at vietnam border (i guess it depends on officer's mood)
-@Filot

There aren't any such requirements for holders of an e Visa and we haven't had anyone holding an e Visa reporting those things currently.

However, there have been different stories from people entering the country on a visa-free exemption indicating that sometimes immigration can treat them differently, especially regarding the need to show onward travel out of Vietnam at the end of their visit.

@OceanBeach92107 many thanks. At least for 8 times it's good to go 1f602.svg

(We better remind anyone reading this thread to read https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 33#55657171f605.svg )

-@goodolboy
-@Filot

well now that just might be right about "the officers mood" I was not asked for proof of  insurance either when I did the visa run to Cambodia.

Just for information ......I have now done exit & entry to Vietnam using

1..........e visa Cambodia to Vietnam as detailed before.

2......... exit Vietnam to Cambodia on e visa's & return to Vietnam on 15 days visa free.............no issues noted & no requirement for proof of vaccine or insurance.

3.........exit Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat) on15 days visa free & travel to Paris via transit Doha......................................no issues noted & no requirement for proof of vaccine or insurance.

4.........exit France & travel to Scotland & back to Paris & back to Doha & back to Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat) on e visa..........no issues noted & no requirement for proof of vaccine or insurance.Other than massive queues at immigration at Tan Son Nhat. Nothing changes there!

5........exit Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat) on e visa & travel to Singapore .............required to fill in Singapore landing document & register on line & had to produce proof of vaccine IN ENGLISH to get on the plane to Singapore.

6........exit Singapore & return to Vietnam(Tan Son Nhat) on e visa ..............no issues noted & no requirement for proof of vaccine or insurance. Other than massive queues at immigration at Tan Son Nhat. Nothing changes there!

@goodolboy

thanks a lot for the feedback ,

So for my part i will arrive just before Tet in Saigon,on free visa 15 days

Looking foward to that!!!

@goodolboy beautiful report, many thanks

As of October 3, 2022 there are no longer any COVID restrictions for entering Cambodia from Vietnam (l̲i̲n̲k̲ ̲t̲o̲ ̲C̲a̲m̲b̲o̲d̲i̲a̲ ̲f̲o̲r̲u̲m̲ ̲u̲p̲d̲a̲t̲e) -@OceanBeach92107

^^^This^^^

For further queries regarding entry requirements to Cambodia, please see the link provided by OceanBeach92107 for UTD information.

A comprehensive and official list of countries where passport holders may enter VN using a Visa Waiver/Visa Free/Visa Exempt. Length of stay varies depending on country of origin.

(note: not to be confused with a VEC-Visa Exemption Certificate)

EXEMPTION OF ENTRY VISA TO VIETNAM

A bit of a rhetorical question, maybe, but how does the visa exemption work exactly? Is it a diplomatic process where countries enter into a mutual agreement whereby citizens have easier access?  Just somewhat perplexing that some countries are listed and many are not. I should do some research.

A bit of a rhetorical question, maybe, but how does the visa exemption work exactly? Is it a diplomatic process where countries enter into a mutual agreement whereby citizens have easier access? Just somewhat perplexing that some countries are listed and many are not. I should do some research.
-@redislandar

You are exactly right.

In general if a country makes it easy for Vietnamese citizens to enter, then Vietnam tends to reciprocate.

@OceanBeach92107 thanks for confirming what I was thinking...but never sure of. It makes perfect sense. There is a large community of Vietnamese in Canada - in Vancouver & in the Greater Toronto Area, beginning primarily in the early 1980s. Since then there has not been any substantial immigration from VN but moreso a trickle. With labor shortages in CA these days the visa process has been simplified somewhat it seems and more Vietnamese are gaining access for work/family reasons. Maybe there is hope for us Canucks to get a little reprieve from the rigors of the Viet Visa. What's the saying...live in hope and die in despair. We shall see lol.

Reliable sources tell me:

Regarding people who are not entitled to a tourist Evisa: You can still apply for a tourist visa on arrival, but only through an agent, and the maximum stay possible is 25 days.

Approval is definitely not guaranteed and applications are handled on a case-by-case basis, with Visa agents free to set whatever fee the market will bear, in addition to the stamping fee set by the government.

If the Visa is approved the agent will send you an email letter of approval which you must then present at the airport as you pay your stamping fee at the Visa On Arrival (VOA) desk before officially entering the country.

Be aware that there will be a long holiday "weekend" at the end of April this year, and it may impact the speed of visa processing at the Immigration department:

The Hung King's death anniversary (Hung King Temple festival) begins on April 27th (lunar calendar 8th day, 3rd month) and runs through April 30th, with the main festival holiday falling on Saturday, April 29th.

Vietnam Reunification Day is Sunday, April 30th and International Labor Day is Monday, May 1st.

Immigration is normally closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and it's anticipated that some employees may be allowed to begin holiday travel on that Friday.

According to Vietnam Airlines (app notification) and the Google Calendar app, the official trifecta holiday period will begin on Saturday, April 29th and include holidays on Monday, May 1st (International Labor Day), Tuesday, May 2nd (day off for Hung King's festival) and Wednesday, May 3rd (day off for Reunification Day).

As always I'm happy to be corrected with some official data about this.

In any case, it would probably be prudent to not expect much Visa processing in the immigration department from Friday the 28th of April through Wednesday, May 3rd  (resuming again on May 4th).

@Aidan in HCMC

I tried and when the local authorities said they couldn't do it, I gave up after spending millions on translating papers to VN.

Who wants to do that for doing pro bona work? It is more difficult than getting a real work permit that I also tried.

In the end I gave up. Against stupidity, 10 wise men will loose.

@OceanBeach92107 I was an offer for them ***. He ripped me off for 23 mill dongs.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please share names in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct