Do I apply for VITEM XI visa or The Permanent Visa (VIPER) ?

I want to move to Brazil with my wife who is from Brazil and stay there for the long term well over 5 + years. Which visa should I apply to for this?

@john8670

VITEM XI . Viper is the old pre-2017 immigration regulations

09/16/22 @john8670  Yes, as Texanbrazil wrote, VITEM XI replaced the old VIPER with the enactment of the new Law of Migration in 2017.  You should apply for your VITEM XI at the Consulate, and if at all possible, you should have duplicate originals of all the documents that you submit to the Consulate for it, so that you have them for the Polícia Federal when you get to Brazil, register with them, and request your CRNM, your resident foreigner ID card.

@Texanbrazil Thanks for the speedy reply.

@abthree Thanks for the speedy reply!

What both have stated is correct. If you are new to this and surfing the internet for information, PAY VERY CLOSE attention to the dates on any material you are reading. Any information you see dated prior to November 2017 is out dated, completely disregard it.

Are you in the USA? The USA is divided into regions each Brazilian Consulate is responsible for. We can direct you to the correct Consulate for where you live. In any case, you can only use the Consulate responsible for where you are living, if you are applying while out of Brazil.

@rraypo NYC consulate for me. I just wen't through the marriage certificate process.

@rraypo NYC consulate for me. I just wen't through the marriage certificate process.
-@john8670

I used the SF and they were great with me, fast communications and even faster processing

@abthree

I got my VITEM XI and made it back to Brazil recently no issues with my bags either. I think I have 3 months to register w that the policia federal last time I  tried it took like a month to just get an appointment with them. When I make my appointment this time which service am I requesting to register, request crnm and foreigner card? Also I was only back in the states for a short time so was only able to get my fbi background check but not the apostille, would they give me an extension to get this?

Just a heads up expect a month for apostile on fbi screenings. It's a mess since the pandemic. I did mine last month

PF does not give visa extensions for forms. They give you "X" days on your protocol to obtain the missing information. If you have most of the information required, do not wait, apply as soon as you can to see what is approved and what may be needed.

The FBI report and the home visit ( now not required) were my longest wait. I had to go back once for more time on the FBI report. They gave me an additional 10 days.

Remember do not lose the protocol, It is just a slip of paper and easy misplace.

@rnbtg

thanks I didn't have a month to do it needed to get back so I left the fbi apostille for now. I figured having the 1 year vitem xi would give me time to get stuff without having to worry about being away

@Texanbrazil

Thanks I have everything except for the apostilled fbi background due to my limited time back

09-18-22 @abthree
I got my VITEM XI and made it back to Brazil recently no issues with my bags either. I think I have 3 months to register w that the policia federal last time I tried it took like a month to just get an appointment with them. When I make my appointment this time which service am I requesting to register, request crnm and foreigner card? Also I was only back in the states for a short time so was only able to get my fbi background check but not the apostille, would they give me an extension to get this?
-@vtu

If you're requesting permanent residence, you'll want a CRNM; that replaced the "Foreigner Card" -- CIE, Cédula de Identidade de Estrangeiro, that most expats called their "RNE".

In your place, I would definitely contact one of the apostille companies in the US (I had a good experience with National Apostille) to find out how fast they can turn an apostille around for you with a color scan of your FBI Background Check.  At this point you'll pay a premium, but I will probably be worth it to you.

@abthree Hey Abthree I did some research and this is what most Brazil consulates say about background check.

• FBI Background Check issued within 90 days. Online printed background checks are not accepted.

• Background checks from outside os USA: if you've lived in multiple countries within the last 12 months, a police check from each country of residence must be provided. They must also be dully apostilled by the competent authority in the issuing country and, if necessary, translated by a certified translator.

Questions:

What do they mean by " printed background checks are not accepted? Is the FBI or channeler supposed to send me a hard copy through the mail?

2. I wen't on FBI background check website and there's a section for "Approved Channelers" here:  https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident … -Channeler   Do you recommend an approved Channeler or just using FBI?

3. It looks like I get FBI background check done through approved channeler first then I have to use apostille service after?

-

I found this on a channeler website

Question:

I need an official sealed/apostille copy of my background check results for a specific agency. Can Fieldprint provide this?

No. All requests for a sealed or apostille copy of your FBI criminal history record information MUST be requested directly through the FBI. FBI-approved channelers are not able to provide results in this manner.

So it looks like I have to request background check directly through FBI?

@abthree Checking them out today thanks

09/20/22  @john8670  You can either get the check directly from the FBI, or through a Channeler, depending on your budget and your timeframe.  I got FBI Background Checks twice:  once in mid-2017 for my visa, and once in early 2019 for my naturalization.  I used a Channeler the first time because the backlog at the FBI was months long; I understand that they improved that, although it may have been lengthened again by covid.  The second time I went directly to the Channeler because they were local and did such a good job the first time.  I used Accurate Biometrics in Chicago, and they turned things around in a matter of days.

I ordered both the hard copy and an electronic copy -- costs a little more, but worth it.  The first time, I handed in the hard copy to the Consulate, because they don't require apostilles on federal documents, or from state documents in their consular district.  The second time, I sent the electronic version to National Apostille, and they sent me back a hard copy with the proper apostille from the US State Department in less than a week.  I gave that to the Polícia Federal with no problem.  For the initial electronic submittal to the FP, I sent them the electronic version, and a scan of the apostille.  Apostilles are generally affixed to documents in such a way that removing them will destroy both the document and the apostille, so you don't want to try to manipulate them for copies or scans.

The second time, I sent the electronic version to National Apostille, and they sent me back a hard copy with the proper apostille from the US State Department in less than a week.

Hey Abthree,

I reached out to a few channeler services and they said they only give me the authenticated background check through email. I was worried at first that the NYC Brazil Consulate would not accept this because it's not a hard copy but it looks like they will as long as I go through National Apostille.

I'm not 100% sure if the Brazil NYC consulate only takes the hard copy that's sent through the mail or not. I tried reaching out to them a few times but it's really hard to get in touch with them.

09/20/22. I reached out to a few channeler services and they said they only give me the authenticated background check through email. I was worried at first that the NYC Brazil Consulate would not accept this because it's not a hard copy but it looks like they will as long as I go through National Apostille

-@john8670

https://accuratebiometrics.com/

Have a look at this.  I would expect any Channeler to offer a similar deal.

09/20/22 @john8670 You can either get the check directly from the FBI, or through a Channeler, depending on your budget and your timeframe. I got FBI Background Checks twice: once in mid-2017 for my visa, and once in early 2019 for my naturalization. I used a Channeler the first time because the backlog at the FBI was months long; I understand that they improved that, although it may have been lengthened again by covid. The second time I went directly to the Channeler because they were local and did such a good job the first time. I used Accurate Biometrics in Chicago, and they turned things around in a matter of days.
I ordered both the hard copy and an electronic copy -- costs a little more, but worth it. The first time, I handed in the hard copy to the Consulate, because they don't require apostilles on federal documents, or from state documents in their consular district. The second time, I sent the electronic version to National Apostille, and they sent me back a hard copy with the proper apostille from the US State Department in less than a week. I gave that to the Polícia Federal with no problem. For the initial electronic submittal to the FP, I sent them the electronic version, and a scan of the apostille. Apostilles are generally affixed to documents in such a way that removing them will destroy both the document and the apostille, so you don't want to try to manipulate them for copies or scans.
-@abthree

For us, if anything the Covid issue made things go very fast and smooth. Using the San Francisco Consulate by Email and regular mail for documents was wonderful and VERY fast/efficient. The new FBI system is VERY simple and super fast in the USA. They did not want anything translated or apostilled, not even my original birth certificate which is in Icelandic, not even English.

@rraypo I hope I get a smooth process like that!

@abthree thanks

I used www.apostillepros.com. They did all applications/ Marriage/ and even long form of birth cert, apostille, translation, sent all where required, Emailed and overnighted physical documents to me in Brazil.

Also registered marriage with the BR Consulate

I'm having trouble finding out how much the US postal money order is supposed to be for the Visa application. I've been searching online but I can't find anything on Consulate General of Brazil in New york and Visa fee's. I was able to find the fee for my marriage registration but the VISA fee is hard to find.

On a good note I got my Background check done today and I already have the results. Now I'm going to send over to the apostile services ( National Apostille and www.apostillepros.com. )

UPDATE: I finally found the Visa fee's for VITEM XI US it was a little tricky.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … ation/fees

US Postal money order

USA - VITEM II, V, IX, X, XI, XII e XIV

US$ 290,00

09/21/22 UPDATE: I finally found the Visa fee's for VITEM XI US it was a little tricky.
https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … ation/fees

US Postal money order

US$ 290,00
-@john8670

Good job -- they don't make it easy, do they?  I had just started searching, thanks for posting.

Same here. I was about to say email them.

Thanks for the info

@Texanbrazil Anytime it was a nightmare finding that information!

Looks like Link I shared doesn't work here's a copy

@john8670 1) FEES are NON-REFUNDABLE. Please be very careful upon submitting your visa application. Incorrect, incomplete and withdrawn applications will be charged regardless of the visa being granted or not.

2) No kind of rush services are offered. Hence, no expediting fees are charged by this Consulate.

3) Visitor visas (VIVIS) for bearers of diplomatic and official passports are free of charge.

The visa fees listed below are charged per each visa submission in US dollars. If you have multiple citizenships, you will be charged based on the nationality of the passport you have presented.

VIVIS (visits for: tourism, business, etc.)

Country of Citizenship     Fee

Algeria    US$  85

Angola    US$ 180

Australia    US$ 120

China    US$ 115

All other countries    US$  80

VITEM (temporary visas except VITEM III)

Country of Citizenship    TOTAL

United Kingdom (less than 180 days)

US$ 100,00

United Kingdom (more than 180 days)

US$ 215,00

USA - VITEM I, VII e VIII

US$ 250,00

US$ 290,00

USA - VITEM IV

US$ 160,00

All the other countries

US$ 100,00

Exception:

UK - VITEM IV

US$ 465,00

Update:

VITEM XI Application

I sent in all the required documents listed for the VITEM XI Visa but the Brazil Consulate of NY sent me this.

If the “caller” is in Brazil. The person needs to send a notification copy of passport.

• My Wife is from Brazil but we currently live in the US. I guess this doesn't apply to us.

Please present: Declaration, under penalty of law, that the “caller” lives in Brazil.

- Again my wife is from Brazil but we currently live in the US.

Please present: joint declaration of both spouses or partners under penalty of law regarding the continuity of union and coexistence.

-Is there a special form we have to print out somewhere to fill out or is this something we write ourselves?

09/26/22 Hi, John. Congrats on getting this far. WRT your questions:

Your wife's physical presence at the Consulate with her passport should be enough. She should have a copy (preferably a color copy) of the Indentification Page of her passport with her that she can leave at the Consulate, just in case.

The form for the declaration that your wife lives in Brazil can be found at the link below under the tenth bullet.

The form for the joint declaration of continuity can be found under the thirteenth bullet.

Also, the form for providing your electronic address and contact information is under the third bullet.

(https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … o-familiar)

@abthree thanks!